Rash on boys legs at the beach question..

It is the material of the shorts combined with wet ski and coarse sand. We had this problem once. Quick dry, soft swim trunks won't cause this problem. The kids have Old Navy swimsuits and don't experience any problems.

Aquaphor is awesome for healing minor irritation. :)

This has happened to my DS also. It started happening long about 6 years old. We found out if you put A&D ointment on the areas that chafe before you swim, you will not get a rash.
Since he is older now (12), a friend of ours told us about doing the under armour thing. She said her boys cut out the mesh liner from their suits and then wear the under armour.

If you swim in the Atlantic from April - June then you can be bitten by sea lice (jelly fish larvae). This happened to both my sister and I on a trip to Key West. We had no idea what it was until we got home. I had it on my feet and ankles and my sister had it on her legs up to her hips. She went into the water up to her waist and I just walked along the waters edge up to my ankles. I read that when the sea lice get trapped inside your bathing suit they will bite so even a suit won't protect you. There were no warning signs on the beach (Ft Zachery Taylor Park). We found out about it from a friend who's sister lives in FL. If the rash appears some other time of the year then there is probably another cause.

Ok- another beach question for me! Last time we stayed a week at the beach was 3 years ago and ds was then 4. About the third or fouth day, he got a terrible rash on the inner thighs of his legs- so bad he would no longer go in the ocean b/c the salt water stunk his little legs. They were very red and bumpy. It was only there- the upper, inner thigh of his legs- no where else. The wet bathing suit also irritated it, so as soon as he got out of the water- we'd have to put dry, cotton shorts on him. I tried baby powder, vaseline, everything- the only thing that made it better was time. Unfortunately, by the time they got better, it was time to go home!
Does anyone have any suggestions for this? We cut the net out of his swimsuit then hoping that could help but it didn't. Does anyone have a way of preventing this? Dh was thinking maybe something like bicycle shorts underneath his swimsuit would help b/c they cling to you so much and maybe the sand and salt wouldn't get up in there... does anyone have experience with this?

Boudreaux's Butt paste is good for prevetion, but you may need to reapply if in the water for long periods of time. And if he were to get another rash Gold Bond Extra Strength Medicated powder is good for relief and healing.

Oh sorry - it's a well-priced, trendy clothing store we have here (Montreal, Canada). But I know they are in the States as well. I believe they are a swedish company. If you want to see them go to shop.hm.com which will bring you to their site. However, it's in swedish or german or something. Click on "BARN" at the top (must mean kids) and then select Bad/strand from the middle column (must mean bathing suits!). You will see the spiderman and spongebob model on the photos (listed as Badbyxa). You can click on the photo of the boy wearing it and it will bring you to a more detailed info page, where again you can click on the swimshorts to enlarge.

I actually find that they look a bit shorter/tighter on the boy model than they do on my son. That may be because I opted for a larger size. I don't know. But mine seem longer and looser (not as skin tight). Also I was able to find the same type at a different local store, and their models were longer - mid-thigh I'd say. I know they are more of a european looking type suit. But to be honest my DS6 couldn't have cared less. He was just happy that this solved his problem. After enduring that burning pain, he would have worn anything, I'm sure. And we didn't know anyone else there anyway (except our friends whose son had the same suits for the same problem). My SIL didn't believe me about this, but boy was she happy last summer when we were in Wildwood and I had a few she could borrow for her son, my nephew. No more ouchies!

I know they may not be the "look" you love (kinda 70's), but it works. And quite frankly on "my" son I actually find them adorable! ;) He looks quite athletic and kinda like a little olympic swimmer. I only use these when we are at the beach for extended days such as vacation. This is not usually a problem for us if we spend one day at the beach. It's only when we have several days there that the irritation develops. For the one-day beach or in the swimming pool he always wears the standard long board shorts.

Anyway, hope this helps. Not that you can order online from them, but you may be able to locate a store near you. Or at the very least know what you are looking for.

They have an English site too. hm.com/us/

Ok- another beach question for me! Last time we stayed a week at the beach was 3 years ago and ds was then 4. About the third or fouth day, he got a terrible rash on the inner thighs of his legs- so bad he would no longer go in the ocean b/c the salt water stunk his little legs. They were very red and bumpy. It was only there- the upper, inner thigh of his legs- no where else. The wet bathing suit also irritated it, so as soon as he got out of the water- we'd have to put dry, cotton shorts on him. I tried baby powder, vaseline, everything- the only thing that made it better was time. Unfortunately, by the time they got better, it was time to go home!
Does anyone have any suggestions for this? We cut the net out of his swimsuit then hoping that could help but it didn't. Does anyone have a way of preventing this? Dh was thinking maybe something like bicycle shorts underneath his swimsuit would help b/c they cling to you so much and maybe the sand and salt wouldn't get up in there... does anyone have experience with this?

There is a great product for preventing rash called Beach Gladiator, you can order it on Amazon. All the kids at our beach use it before they put on swim trunks.

My teen boys, and almost all boys here, wear under armor compression shorts under board shorts, and athletic shorts.

This happens to my son both at the beach and the pool after repeated swim sessions. We finally figured out that it's the liner in his suits rubbing on his legs. As soon as we cut the liners out he didn't get the rashes any more.

I agree that this sounds like chafe mixed with heat rash. Once it red, the pores are open and salt water can sting like crazy. I agree with Jennylyn_b, use aquaphor as it doesnt have an alcohol component. In the future use Aquaphor before getting in the water or try body glide or arm and hammer friction. My son gets this on his legs and my daughter under her arms. Its often from being wet in heat for too long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter