Rash on boys legs at the beach question..

tink2

DIS Veteran
Ok- another beach question for me! Last time we stayed a week at the beach was 3 years ago and ds was then 4. About the third or fouth day, he got a terrible rash on the inner thighs of his legs- so bad he would no longer go in the ocean b/c the salt water stunk his little legs. They were very red and bumpy. It was only there- the upper, inner thigh of his legs- no where else. The wet bathing suit also irritated it, so as soon as he got out of the water- we'd have to put dry, cotton shorts on him. I tried baby powder, vaseline, everything- the only thing that made it better was time. Unfortunately, by the time they got better, it was time to go home!
Does anyone have any suggestions for this? We cut the net out of his swimsuit then hoping that could help but it didn't. Does anyone have a way of preventing this? Dh was thinking maybe something like bicycle shorts underneath his swimsuit would help b/c they cling to you so much and maybe the sand and salt wouldn't get up in there... does anyone have experience with this?

Buy a stick of Body Glide and use it on him. That should help. There's a bonus to it when swimming: it attracts little bait fish that tickle. Loads of fun to have schools of tiny fish darting around your legs.

I've got a couple of guesses as to what happened the first time. Did he spend a lot of time sitting and playing in the sand, especially playing "burying" games? It might have been sand fleas, particularly if you were out in the evening, as they are more active then. If they got up inside his suit and then got trapped at the top they would be more likely to bite. Otherwise I'm thinking that it was just chafing from a loosely-fitting suit liner and running in it wet.

This happened to both my DS and my DH. Our guess was that it was caused from chaffing. Both wore loose long trunk style bathing suits. Since we were on an island with little choices, we bought them both the boxer brief underwear to wear under their trunks -- this solved the problem.

sounds like sea lice to me
the thing that works the best is corn starch
after in the sand or water dry off really good and use the corn starch this also works for just about every rash also diaper rash

This used to happen to my oldest DS all the time. He quit wearing the swim trunks and wore really light weigh, nylon perhaps, gym shorts. Not as loose as the trunks and NO net liner. That took care of the problem. It seems to be a combo of salt water and the net. Neosproin took care of it in a few days.

Good Luck!
Katy

It's from the sand rubbing and no matter what I've done I can't seem to stop it from happening to my boys. We've rinsed REALLY well before we leave the beach and it still happens. Combo of wet skin, sand and walking isn't great.
Hope you can find a solution and share it with the rest of us.

I believe it to be from wet bathing suits/sand/and never drying off completely. I buy bathing suits that are made from the really soft material that dries almost instantly. Also, they have worn UNDERARMOR compression shorts under their suits or Champion at Target makes underwear that is quick drying. I buy my sons the men sizes. The small is really pretty small and fit my son when he was aroubd nine. it is now the only underwear he will wear. If they do get a rash, i swear by Lanacaine. Great for heat rash too. I keep it in my beach bag!!

The baggy, long board shorts are notorius for causing leg rash because the actual crotch fabric hangs so low causing skin-to-skin rubbing on the thighs. Salt water is irritating anyway and add in sand and skin rubbing skin and you get a not so great rash that is very painful.

Now, if it was just a rash that was itchy then I would lean towards sea lice. It's quite common and very irritating.

I definitely believe it was from the sand and salt water. The rash didn't itch- it was more 'raw' than anything and really hurt when he got in the ocean.
I've thougt about the underarmour tight-fitting shorts under his swimsuit- the problem is that he is so small and we can't find any to fit him- even in the off brands. He is 7 years old but wears size 4 mainly- sometimes 5. I am going to keep looking b/c I do believe that would work best.
agentpleakley- On the boxer/brief underwear, wouldn't that be annoying once it was wet b/c underwear doesn't dry that well? Did it not bother your son?
fortheluvofpooh- we may look at these- they do come in smaller sizes. He could wear them under his trunks- he would not wear them as a swimsuit alone (unfortunately- he is very 'conscious' of what is cool and doesn't like to wear anything 'different'- I know, he is just 7 and that scares me!) I just hate to order something online and it not fit b/c it would cut it close in time.
We'll see... thanks for all the suggestions! You guys are very helpful!!! Keep the ideas coming!

It may be an allergy to the sunscreen you are using. I know you may think it would happen on the whole body, but this happened to me and my daughter every trip until I switched sunscreens. Try either Banana Boat Sport or Coppertone Sport continuous spray. I don't know why, but we haven't had the rash for 2 visits now since we started using this. Good Luck. If it happens, try hydrocortizone cream. All this info. was told to me by an emergency room doctor at the Orlando hospital. Why we were there is another long story.

The baggy, long board shorts are notorius for causing leg rash because the actual crotch fabric hangs so low causing skin-to-skin rubbing on the thighs. Salt water is irritating anyway and add in sand and skin rubbing skin and you get a not so great rash that is very painful.

Now, if it was just a rash that was itchy then I would lean towards sea lice. It's quite common and very irritating.

Yes, this is exactly it. Irritation from the long loose swimming shorts. My Ds gets this all the time when we spend a few days at the beach. Also my friend's DS and my nephew. The only thing we have been able to find that avoids this are long "speedo" type suits. Not super tight, more like a boxer brief, but made of swimsuit material. For some reason, I guess because they are more body-hugging, they do not rub and cause this irritation. We got a few of them last year at H&M in Spongebob, Spiderman and navy. So I assume they might be "stylin' " enough. I'd insert a picture , but have no idea how!

nosy parker- thanks for the info- only, what is H&M? I'm sure I know this- my brain is just dead right now!!! :goodvibes

nosy parker- thanks for the info- only, what is H&M? I'm sure I know this- my brain is just dead right now!!! :goodvibes

Oh sorry - it's a well-priced, trendy clothing store we have here (Montreal, Canada). But I know they are in the States as well. I believe they are a swedish company. If you want to see them go to shop.hm.com which will bring you to their site. However, it's in swedish or german or something. Click on "BARN" at the top (must mean kids) and then select Bad/strand from the middle column (must mean bathing suits!). You will see the spiderman and spongebob model on the photos (listed as Badbyxa). You can click on the photo of the boy wearing it and it will bring you to a more detailed info page, where again you can click on the swimshorts to enlarge.

I actually find that they look a bit shorter/tighter on the boy model than they do on my son. That may be because I opted for a larger size. I don't know. But mine seem longer and looser (not as skin tight). Also I was able to find the same type at a different local store, and their models were longer - mid-thigh I'd say. I know they are more of a european looking type suit. But to be honest my DS6 couldn't have cared less. He was just happy that this solved his problem. After enduring that burning pain, he would have worn anything, I'm sure. And we didn't know anyone else there anyway (except our friends whose son had the same suits for the same problem). My SIL didn't believe me about this, but boy was she happy last summer when we were in Wildwood and I had a few she could borrow for her son, my nephew. No more ouchies!

I know they may not be the "look" you love (kinda 70's), but it works. And quite frankly on "my" son I actually find them adorable! ;) He looks quite athletic and kinda like a little olympic swimmer. I only use these when we are at the beach for extended days such as vacation. This is not usually a problem for us if we spend one day at the beach. It's only when we have several days there that the irritation develops. For the one-day beach or in the swimming pool he always wears the standard long board shorts.

Anyway, hope this helps. Not that you can order online from them, but you may be able to locate a store near you. Or at the very least know what you are looking for.

Actually, I just checked at speedo.com , and they have many models in their boys category listed under Aquashorts and Jammers. These may be easier to find. Anyway, again, I highly recommend them for this problem.

Thanks nosy parker- that does help a lot! I am doing a shopping spree this weekend for things for the beach and we will definitely look for these- there are a couple of stores that I know sell spedo and I'll look there first before I order online. It sounds like it would work great! Thanks for the help!!!
And here I thought dd would always be the difficult one with clothing- who knew boys had such issues???:)

Thanks nosy parker- that does help a lot! I am doing a shopping spree this weekend for things for the beach and we will definitely look for these- there are a couple of stores that I know sell spedo and I'll look there first before I order online. It sounds like it would work great! Thanks for the help!!!
And here I thought dd would always be the difficult one with clothing- who knew boys had such issues???:)

You're welcome! I hope it helps.

Clothing issues ..Ha!.......Wait until your kids are teens...................:headache: :scared1:

I have 2 sons that chafe, and the best suggestion you have gotten so far is the Body Glide one. When it is hot and my boys are in their swim trunks, or doing sports they chafe.

They both now wear the UnderArmour boxer briefs and this helps, but the best thing I did for them was buy them SportsBalm. It is like the Body Glide suggested above, but the only one I could get locally. It is sold in stores specializing in running or biking to prevent saddle sores and chafing.

They call it Ball Glide :-)rolleyes2) and put it on before heading to the beach or out for sports on hot days.

I believe it to be from wet bathing suits/sand/and never drying off completely. I buy bathing suits that are made from the really soft material that dries almost instantly. Also, they have worn UNDERARMOR compression shorts under their suits or Champion at Target makes underwear that is quick drying. I buy my sons the men sizes. The small is really pretty small and fit my son when he was aroubd nine. it is now the only underwear he will wear. If they do get a rash, i swear by Lanacaine. Great for heat rash too. I keep it in my beach bag!!

Gets expensive if that's all they wear, doesn't it? My DH and both my sons are like that. They will only wear other underwear if there are absolutely no clean Under Armour in the house.

I found that Aquafor intensive cream will heal it quick.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter