Rash Guards

Kit Jackson

DIS Veteran
This will be my first time on a cruise. I have heard about rash guards and I was wondering if real people who had been on DCL cruises thought they were useful, helpful, and worth buying. I'm not doing snorkeling or multiple water based excursions. Castaway Cay is probably going to be a beach day. I may or may not go swimming. What do people recommend in terms of buying one or not?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Last edited:
I will now never go swimming without one. I fry under the sun very quickly so I was always having to reapply sunscreen but still might get burned. I purchased swim shirts (aka rash guards) in various different colours and configurations - high neck, short sleeve, full zip, half zip, pullover. I love that they protect me from the sun, I don't need to constantly reapply sunscreen and when I get out of the pool, they provide a bit of protection from the cold or wind as well as the sun. If it's really hot, they help to keep me cool while they dry. I've also purchased some with zip pockets which is great for putting a room key into so I don't need to leave it out with my stuff.

The company I buy mine from also has swim shorts and pants and I've totally switched over to those away from bathing suits. They keep me from burning my legs (really useful if on a lazy river) and once again, keep you cool while you dry or protect you from the wind a bit. I also feel more comfortable walking back to my room either on ship or in a hotel or sitting at the pool bar while wearing what almost feels like real clothes. I also don't need a coverup now.

EDIT: DH and I also bought DCL branded ones which is really nice to have (pullover style).

I think they are great, and so does my wife. They are great UV blockers, saving a lot of expensive sunscreen while protecting your skin. Unlike sunscreen, the protection doesn't wear off quickly. And they dry out super fast once you are out of the water. It's pretty convenient to just have a shirt you can ware in and out of the water and then around areas where you want to be more clothed. They are particularly protective if you try snorkeling or any swimming activity where you are in a position where your back is facing the sun directly for an extended period.

Ultimately, I think it depends a lot on whether you are the type that would rather get a nice even tan and your risk profile for skin cancer. If you don't like having a farmer tan, then you would want to avoid them.

Last edited:
I never use them and have no issues with any of the various water activities.

Castaway Cay is probably going to be a beach day. I may or may not go swimming. What do people recommend in terms of buying one or not?

DH and DS have worn one for years to minimize sunscreen (DS has both short sleeve and long sleeve). I finally got one in October on St. Thomas from Ocean Surfari, and I love it. I wore it on Cozumel and it was great. I don't plan to always wear it, but on certain long days, I will. I bought a plain white bathing suit bra from Amazon to wear underneath.

I wouldn't run out to buy one though just for Castaway.

IMG_5979.jpg

We have them and will wear them sometimes - if on a catamaran excursion or out in the water at serenity bay for a couple hours. We have several of them - some expensive, some from Costco. Buy a cheap one and bring along and see if you enjoy wearing one!

I have a large scar on my back from skin cancer removal (the mole was the size of a thumbnail). And an auto-immune disorder that flares in the sun.

I also find most water too cold. So, yep, rash guard (preferably high neck) and shorts for me. Wide brim sun hat, too. But I am over 60, so who notices?

Otherwise, I would probably do what I did for years - just a regular bathing suit. But do a better job applying sunscreen where the swimsuit ends and bare skin begins.

Rash guards can be a little sweaty; I haven’t found them to be breathable.

I always put my kids in long-sleeved swimsuits because they complain about sunscreen and that makes life easier. I don't have one for myself (yet) but I would say it probably just depends on your sun sensitivity.

I have a few now and love them. I also will just wear my bikini if I’m lounging in the shade and it’s warm, or a quick walk, but anytime I’m in the water or the sun for an extended period I’m in a rash guard. Helping me put on sunblock annoys my husband so I’ve already used up his good graces with the first set of puppy dog eyes. Reapplication without a nearby sink to wash his hands is a no.

I wouldn’t buy one for just one day if I already had a swimsuit though, they can be expensive.

Do you mean UPF clothing? Absolutely wear them. I have for years. I have them in all kinds of forms and most you would think are normal street clothes. Those sun rays hit you even when it's cloudy
1. No one knows if they will be hit with skin cancer caused by sun.
2. helps prevent burns which can be extremely painful.
3. it's a lot cheaper than buying tons of sunscreen, especially if you use it as directed. Many people don't or even read directions on the sunscreen. .
4. some sunscreens contain chemicals that are not good for your body. You need to read up on that if you aren't aware. I want to limit chemical being absorbed and effecting body organs and chemistry.
5. A lot of sunscreen is not good for reef life.
6. Sun can weather and wrinkle skin over time
7. Bad burns always scream inexperienced northerners 😉
8. It's just easier, quicker, less mess and covers more than sunscreen.
9. Doesn't wash off or wear off like sunscreen, which has to be reapplied every so often.

Last edited:
I am a redhead that burns in 15 minutes, so I always wear a rashguard. I feel that I have observed that many people wear them.

I get mine from Costco. I have colorful ones, but I always make sure to have a black one in case we go somewhere where the water might stain them like Greece.

I'm pale enough that I can get sunburned inside on a cloudy day so I maximize sun protection whenever I can. After having several pre-cancerous spots removed, I'm team cover up as much as possible (I apply sunscreen before I put the rash guard on). And I stay in the shade.

Now, if you're asking about rash guards to avoid rashes around CC, the waves are minimal and I've never seen anyone body surfing or anything like that.

My son and I have both had Old Navy ones that have served us well. I think I also found some on Amazon so you can probably find inexpensive ones if you don't want to make a huge investment.

As a pair of redheads who spend our summers sailing the lakes of Minnesota, we swear by our rash guard shirts & UV blocking shorts/leggings. It is really a matter of personal preference on how you protect yourself from the wind & sun, but they do work well for us.

I’m fair skinned and not always the best at reapplying, but I also hate the heat, so I’m always seeking shade. If I’m a beach day and can find a shaded spot (like Castaway Cay), then I don’t wear a rash guard, but If I’m snorkeling or on a boat for a long time, I will.

The company I buy mine from also has swim shorts and pants
Do you mind sharing what company you get yours from? I have a sun allergy and use long sleeve shirts at the beach but don't have any shorts or pants

I have a couple and they are so helpful! I do like getting a nice tan, but there are times I need to wear them when I get too hot sitting in the lounge chair or walking around the pool areas on the ship or the beach. I definitely wore it when I rode the AquaMouse...the water was a tad cold.
Maybe get an inexpensive one to try it out? Is there a Costco near you? I've seen decent ones at the warehouse for about $20.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter