• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

I flew SW on Tuesday and a family in one row put their carry on items in the seats in front of them. It was a seat I would have liked (exit row with more leg room). Any other time I might have said something but since the flight wasn’t full I just went back further and did not have anyone sitting in the middle seat. Not sure if SW allows the saving of seats. On one trip I got the exit row and a couple got on and the man said to his friends in front of me “why didn’t you save us some seats.” He sat in the seat next to me and she sat somewhere else. He did not ask me to move but during the whole flight, I smelled some pretty smelly gas coming from someone close to me!
SWA has no official policy for or against seat saving. They simply employ an open seating policy.

Yet still, 63 in-flight assault reports in all of 2017, when 849,300,000 passengers flew. That's 0.000000074% chance of being sexually assaulted on a flight. Less than one in about 13,000,000. People are more likely to be attacked by sharks.
Those odds are increased if someone brings a shark onto a flight as their emotional support animal.

But then should we be concerned about sitting a young female child next to your son? After all, he's a large male...

Hey, I know that there would be no concern!!!!! And, I never said that there should be. (in fact, I find that suggestion to be utterly and totally ridiculous. But, this is the DIS after all.)

If somebody else wants to sit next to their child so that their child is not separated, and sitting between my son and another stranger.
Fine by me!!!!!
I might even switch seats for them!
Just don't ask me to give up my better seat for your undesireable seat. And all is good!!!!!

They don't know my son or the other stranger.... And I would expect them to make no assumptions.

Yet still, 63 in-flight assault reports in all of 2017, when 849,300,000 passengers flew. That's 0.000000074% chance of being sexually assaulted on a flight. Less than one in about 13,000,000. People are more likely to be attacked by sharks.
That was 63 assault reports was not nationwide. It was for ONE airport (BWI) in 2017. There have been 10 reports at BWI in June 2018 alone. The odds are not as minuscule as you make them out to be.

My granddaughter went to study abroad in London for six weeks. She is beautiful and shy, it's an overnight flight, I wanted her to have the best experience possible so I put her in Business Class. Then, of course, her mom needed to keep up with her kid, I needed to keep up with both of them when I flew over, so we all flew in the front of the plane. I got a little money from my mother's death, and I am thinking maybe taking the entire family to S. Africa for several days might be fun. I need to start contacting people next week. It's an amazing trip.

That was 63 assault reports was not nationwide. It was for ONE airport (BWI) in 2017. There have been 10 reports at BWI in June 2018 alone. The odds are not as minuscule as you make them out to be.
But those are just reports. That doesn't mean that each one of those were actual assaults, just accusations.

Now I know, that some believe that an accusation means that something actually happened, but it doesn't. There are false reports all the time. In fact, I wish that t

But those are just reports. That doesn't mean that each one of those were actual assaults, just accusations.

Now I know, that some believe that an accusation means that something actually happened, but it doesn't. There are false reports all the time. In fact, I wish that t
Just reports? Do you have any idea what a person has to go through to make a resort of a sexual assault? I would venture there are many, many more assaults that are NOT reported because it’s too much of a PITB than there are false reports.

Just reports? Do you have any idea what a person has to go through to make a resort of a sexual assault? I would venture there are many, many more assaults that are NOT reported because it’s too much of a PITB than there are false reports.
Yes, but that doesn't mean that people don't make false accusations.

Look, your kids are much more likely to be abused by a relative or friend. That is just the way it is.

No, it was nationwide:
"The U.S. Department of Transportation's Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) reported today that U.S. airlines carried an all-time high number of passengers during 2017849.3 million systemwide, 741.6 million domestic and 107.7 millioninternational – surpassing the previous high reached in 2016 (Tables A, B, C) ...
2017 Annual and December U.S. Airline Traffic Data | Bureau of ..."

BWI, while busy, served 26,,000,000 passengers in 2017 http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/01/20/bwi-passenger-numbers/

Hey, I know that there would be no concern!!!!! And, I never said that there should be. (in fact, I find that suggestion to be utterly and totally ridiculous. But, this is the DIS after all.)

If somebody else wants to sit next to their child so that their child is not separated, and sitting between my son and another stranger.
Fine by me!!!!!
I might even switch seats for them!
Just don't ask me to give up my better seat for your undesireable seat. And all is good!!!!!

They don't know my son or the other stranger.... And I would expect them to make no assumptions.

Huh? Not exactly sure what point you are trying to make - should we be concerned about your son or not?

My granddaughter went to study abroad in London for six weeks. She is beautiful and shy, it's an overnight flight, I wanted her to have the best experience possible so I put her in Business Class. Then, of course, her mom needed to keep up with her kid, I needed to keep up with both of them when I flew over, so we all flew in the front of the plane. I got a little money from my mother's death, and I am thinking maybe taking the entire family to S. Africa for several days might be fun. I need to start contacting people next week. It's an amazing trip.

Are you saying that your granddaughter was headed to study abroad for 6 weeks but her mom felt that she needed to fly with her and sit near her on the plane?

What?

Are you saying that your granddaughter was headed to study abroad for 6 weeks but her mom felt that she needed to fly with her and sit near her on the plane?
Perhaps mom and gram were going over in order to vacation there together?? Not so much to fly with the granddaughter. I know that when my beautiful and very shy daughter flew to London, for her study abroad, she would have been mortified if I had flown with her. By the end of her stay there, she was so annoyed with most of the others that were there, she changed her seat for the flight home to a seat on her own in the very back of the plane.

I'm not sure I understand the point of this post. It really just comes across as bragging.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter