Random WDW Info - I Never Knew!

AmyBWV99

It's a s'winter s'wonderland; you can freeze while
Last time we were at WDW, I learned 3 things that I thought were interesting that I did not know before. After 25+ trips, I thought I'd heard it all. So I was wondering if anyone had some little known secrets (not stuff like that there are hidden mickey's on each ride). Here are my 3:

1) The Rose and Crown sells more Gunness annually than any other establishment in the world (not just Disneyworld, the entire world).

2) 93% of the people that stay at the Wilderness Lodge are repeat guests (the highest at any Disney resort).

3) Early in the mornings, the Main Street Bakery makes all of the cookies for the day. They 'can' the exhaut air over the ovens and pipe the air back onto Main Street all day so the bakery always smells like fresh baked cookies.

I don't know any, but I love trivia. Hope to read some more!

AmyBWV99 said:
2) 93% of the people that stay at the Wilderness Lodge are repeat guests (the highest at any Disney resort).

It would be the Boardwalk for my family. We've stayed there probably 4 ( 5th time on our next trip :blush: ) out of the 11 trips we've made so far. It's our favorite resort. :yay:

This I just learned-WDW was going to be called Disney World. Disneyland's on one coast, Disneyworld on the other. But at the last minute, Roy decided to name it Walt Disney World as a tribute to his brother. So that's why the official name is WALT Disney World instead of just Disney World. And remember this if you're ever asked to play WDW Trivia at Sid Cahuenga's (the CM there told me this).

The tree of life at AK is actually constructed from an oil rig. It was the only thing strong enough to support the structure the engineers had envisioned. Disney bought an abandoned oil rig and shipped the entire thing to WDW. From there built the limbs off of the structure and incased it in cement that they carved into the faces that you see today.

AmyBWV99 said:
1) The Rose and Crown sells more Gunness annually than any other establishment in the world (not just Disneyworld, the entire world).

Wow. That I definitely didn't know. Cool facts and thanks for sharing! :thumbsup2

watched the making of disneyworld on the history chanels modern marvels about 2 weeks ago(tivod it for future reference) it had some very interesting facts.......1. the contemporary was brought in in 9 pieces and then put together onsite 2. the spaceship earth each triangle has space in between them that acts as a gutter system bring all rain water into the lake

Thanks to those of you sharing the tidbits of info, they are fun to read.

The Academy Award statue got its name "Oscar" after Walt Disney called his statue Oscar when he won for Snow White. The name stuck and they have been called Oscar ever since.

Tine731 said:
The Academy Award statue got its name "Oscar" after Walt Disney called his statue Oscar when he won for Snow White. The name stuck and they have been called Oscar ever since.

This is an urban myth.

From oscar.com:

How the statuette got the nickname Oscar isn't clear. A popular story has been that Academy librarian and eventual executive director Margaret Herrick said that it resembled her Uncle Oscar. A reporter allegedly overheard her and helped brand the golden guy. In any case, by the sixth Awards Presentation in 1934, Hollywood columnist Sidney Skolsky used the name in his column in reference to Katharine Hepburn's first Best Actress win. The Academy itself didn't use the nickname officially until 1939.

I've been wondering about those big baobob trees in Africa in Animal Kingdom. I saw one near the entrance to the safari, and also along the safari route. They look like they are upside down, with roots up in the air.

One of the cast members said they are real and Disney brought them all the way from Africa and planted them. But later I read something online that said they are artificial. I am wondering which is true? If they brought them from Africa, wouldn't there be the worry of bringing in disease or insect infestation to Florida?

I also noticed the unusual sausage tree by the shops in Africa, which I was told is also real. I think this is true because I remember seeing one in Cypress Gardens in their botanical gardens.

At the American Adventure in Epcot the scenes are moved via scene changer that is basically an elevator on its side. It extends under the seats, So that it wasn't too noisy the building was expanded at the back for the machinery.(DH and I took the behind the scene tour in Nov)

Guilty! You have found us! Although, next trip we will be heading back to the Poly. We love both resorts and after many stays we can't decide which one we love the most. There was a great thread on here about Disney secrets. We printed it off before our trip and searched out those secrets and believe me there were plenty that did not include hidden Mickeys (even though they are fun to find!!). One interesting tidbit I remember off the top of my head is the marble slab at the foot of a door surrounded by iron in Liberty Land. Supposedly, this is an actual piece of marble from Thomas Jeffersons estate. Pretty Cool.

Quote from Unofficial Guide of WDW - "There are three other 'hidden' characters in Walt Disney World, though much rarer: Minnies, Goofys and Donalds. And there are even hidden Hidden Mickeys in several Disney movies, dating back to Mary Poppins..." :thumbsup2

I never knew that!

The Shoe Tree
When we went on our Wishes Cruise last summer our driver (who was terrific) brought us over to see The Shoe Tree. We were amazed to see a tree in the middle of Bay Lake with a whole load of shoes hanging off its branches! He explained that there it's a tradition for WDW boat drivers to throw their shoes onto the tree on the day they retire. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter