Random Kid Memories - What Special Event or Thing Do You Remember?

Going to Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh for our school picnic every May.
Hope you had your matching Kennywood outfits. I always loved that. Our school picnic included a parade on our hometown prior to followed by the day at the park. We also went in May and the weather was unpredictable. We still love Kennywood, we had our 2nd baby this June and we went to Kennywood for Father's day and my husband and sons wore coordinating outfits 🤗

Hope you had your matching Kennywood outfits. I always loved that. Our school picnic included a parade on our hometown prior to followed by the day at the park. We also went in May and the weather was unpredictable. We still love Kennywood, we had our 2nd baby this June and we went to Kennywood for Father's day and my husband and sons wore coordinating outfits 🤗
Kids' high school band usually marched in a parade at Kennywood in August before school started. I remember the field hockey coach made the girls do preseason practice first, so I drove a bunch down afterward. Got on 1 or 2 rides and then it started to pour, they closed the park. As we headed home one of the girls' moms called me and said don't take Washington Blvd home (we lived north of the city), it was flooded. Yeah, Aug 19, 2011. People died in that flood. :sad1: I haven't been back to Kennywood since.

When I was a kid, downtown used to have a Washington's Birthday sale and the stores would hide prizes for people to find. Things like a suit that they the store normally couldn't give away for a $1.00. No one could pass up a deal like that. Woolworths also used to give away free banana splits if you found the special spoon. It was just a lot of fun to run through the stores looking for treasure. It eventually spread into the just out of town shopping centers. We made a day of it. Times were simpler back then. The big thing was that there was a costumed George Washington walking around at random areas passing out silver dollars to kids.

I remember going to the New York's World Fair - not only was the Fair so exciting we took the train for the first time!
We went to that a couple of times.
Went with my Maternal Grandparents once and with my Dad's Aunt & her youngest daughter ( Aunt was only 8 years old than Dad & her daughter 4years older than me).
Remember the Dinosaurs and others.

Last New Year's Eve I was at Disneyland in the rain. No park tickets (and no reservations anyways) but I wandered around Downtown Disney and the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian waiting for the countdown.

But it reminded me of my childhood. Specifically the Saturday after Thanksgiving 1984 when it rained pretty hard and it almost seemed like we had Disneyland all to ourselves. I think we went on Pirates about 4-5 straight times without a wait. And saw Dancing Waters at the Disneyland Hotel. Plus there was New Edition at Tomorrowland. Couldn't see them though. It was packed and even standing room in back was about 5 deep.

November+1984.jpg

We went to that a couple of times.
Went with my Maternal Grandparents once and with my Dad's Aunt & her youngest daughter ( Aunt was only 8 years old than Dad & her daughter 4years older than me).
Remember the Dinosaurs and others.
We went twice. The things I remembered most were It's a Small World, the RCA pavillion where you saw yourself on tv and the cars of tomorrow. Also remember going over to what was probably like the countries in EPCOT for dinner.

I thought of another - I was about 1 (1976) for my first WDW trip. My grandparents were snowbirds in Okeechobee so we got to visit from an early age. My mom had me in a windbreaker and the hood on and tied around my face. At the end of the day I had a bright red circle sunburn on just my face. She was mortified lol.

My earliest memory is standing up in my crib, looking out the window towards the house across the street. They had one of those white Christmas trees and a color wheel light, and I watched the tree changing colors over and over.

I remember spending a lot of time at my grandparents farm, which they sold when I was four. I can’t tell you what memories are what age though. Using the outhouse for a bathroom is a definite memory, as well as being nervous about crossing the bridges over the various creeks on their property. The bridges were just wood planks of various sizes, depending on the length they needed to span, with nothing to hold on to. I am still not a huge fan of bridges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter