Raise your hand if you are NOT buying the annual pass!!

No, we are passing.

We usually only go one week a year and don't go to the parks every day.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong because if I'm wrong it may change the math, but I don't think the Sorcerer's Pass includes water park access does it? Sometimes I think we spend more time at the water parks than we do in the regular parks.
99. adds the water parks and miniature golf.

Well, well, well… and I thought the parks were full!?
Every day for the last two weeks, one or more Disney parks has reached its daily capacity limit. And there are days when they've reached the internal cap on Genie+ sales despite all-time high prices.

All these new passholders will still be subject to the Park pass system. Admission will be more readily available on slower days and after 2pm when they apparently have enough data showing that the parks can afford to accept more guests.

And they make more money without the annual pass?! Hahaha!! Obviously not!!
It's not even debatable that average guest spending is much higher for the infrequent guest.

There have always been people in WDW management who thought Chapek was pushing things too far. This is just the latest in a series of modifications that have occurred since his removal. Other moves include loosening park pass / park hopping rules, eliminating resort parking fees and bundling some PhotoPass perks with Genie.

It's entirely possible that the parks demonstrate the greatest profitability without APs. But that other divisions like DVC and the hotels pushed for APs because of the negative fallout on their units.

Sounds like Disney is desperate for some cash $$.
You and I may have different definitions of "desperate." Especially since this move is delivering what thousands of guests have been clamoring for over the last 18 months.

We are not buying. We have gone 4-5 times since AP sales stopped, all with park tickets. I was really looking forward to buying APs when they came back. Unfortunately the additional cost of Genie+ for our family of 4 has become an extra expense I don't like. I know I don't HAVE to buy Genie+ but I don't want to wait in line. I know WDW says Genie + will get you 3 rides or so but sometimes it seems like a poor value and has left a bad taste in my mouth.

We have found we really enjoy resort only stays, or resort stays with only 1-2 park days. We always have a rental car and enjoy offsite activities (air boat tour, fishing charters, etc). I am happy everyone who wanted to buy can do so! And I am happy DVC members are getting some love!

I'm not keen on spending 5k for my family of 5 to get passes to hold onto for a year just in case they don't sell again.
For sure!

I wasn’t keen either on paying almost the same for my family of 3 who never visit on major holidays anyway (resale, lol). They’re probably trying for higher per day costs from guests going more than 15 or 20 days a year.

So those who buy the top tier pass will still be subject to possible black out dates with the park pass system?

I called this before. The "new" DVC discount will just be the head start over others to purchase them, which is absolutely Disney's right.

So those who buy the top tier pass will still be subject to possible black out dates with the park pass system?

I called this before. The "new" DVC discount will just be the head start over others to purchase them, which is absolutely Disney's right.
Yup, that's what was part of the whole MK lawsuit out here in CA. The person had the highest tier and couldn't get into the parks. But I know that later this month, AP holders won't need a reservation if they're coming after 2pm.

They're subject to parks reaching maximum capacity under Park Pass. It's basically a non-issue if you do the tiniest amount of pre-planning. Right now there are exactly 4 days in 2023 where MK is unavailable to Passholders and 2 days where DHS is unavailable. Sorcerer and Incredipass holders can make 5 reservations at a time. And you don't need a reservation to get into ANY park after 2pm except MK on weekends.

I guess you're entitled to make that prediction but it's not indicative of what is happening right now. The Sorcerer pass, which is only available to DVC Members and FL residents, is about $450 less than the Incredipass.

They're subject to parks reaching maximum capacity under Park Pass. It's basically a non-issue if you do the tiniest amount of pre-planning. Right now there are exactly 4 days in 2023 where MK is unavailable to Passholders and 2 days where DHS is unavailable. Sorcerer and Incredipass holders can make 5 reservations at a time. And you don't need a reservation to get into ANY park after 2pm except MK on weekends.

I guess you're entitled to make that prediction but it's not indicative of what is happening right now. The Sorcerer pass, which is only available to DVC Members and FL residents, is about $450 less than the Incredipass.
What was the real discount before?

That's the new normal though. If something is in super high demand sometimes you need that edge. How many DVC members on this blog have been waiting for this news? If WDW AP sales are similar to a Taylor Swift tickets type demand then paying "full price* for an AP isn't terrible.

We are going next week on 5d hopers we bot years ago. For the time frame the 6 calendar we are going the 5d hopper is $749. So I'm sure most DVC members are pumped to have this discounted 12 month pass.

If you go during Xmas and don't prebook your passes that's on you. Even the higher prices pass is worth it. Anyone going more than once in 12m show me the math how it doesn't work?

Last edited:
That's the new normal though. Some in super high demand sometimes you need that edge. How many DVC members on this blog have been waiting for this news? If WDW AP sales are similar to a Taylor Swift tickets type demand then paying "full price* for an AP isn't terrible.

We are going next week on 5d hopers we bot years ago. For the time frame the 6 calendar we are going the 5d hopper is $749. So I'm sure most DVC members are pumped to have this discounted 12 month pass.

If you go during Xmas and don't prebook your passes that's on you. Even the higher prices pass is worth it. Anyone going more than once in 12m show me the math how it doesn't work?
Agreed, Agreed, and Agreed. You pretty much hit all our notes - at least for us.

Yes, it is the new normal. The new incentive. I wonder if eventually that Disney may only sell new APs to FL residents or direct DVC members?

I was wondering how many visits most people feel make it worthwhile to get an AP. As in, is it a strictly the cost of tickets vs. cost of AP. I actually think allowing a bit extra value for less stress is a valid approach. Potentially so much in extra saving, ease of making next set of reservations, allowing for spontaneity that close might be good enough.
I would say two TRIPS. The price per day on tickets goes way down day 5 and on.
Hand is up on this one. Only going once this year and we already bought tickets. I truly hope the cost of tickets does not go up in the future to subsidize APs. We really found DL/DCA to be a bit of a forced march when we had APs there. We'd get a free un-blocked day and, whelp, guess we "have to" go. There was definitely some declining value for us as we made the pass "pay off". Would much rather just plan single trips and go when we want to.

Yes, it is the new normal. The new incentive. I wonder if eventually that Disney may only sell new APs to FL residents or direct DVC members?

They could…you never know what they will do in the future. But, the park reservations are going away after 2 pm for pass holders, other than on weekends at MK, so in essence, so It will be pretty hard for a pass holder to not have access to the parks.

Nope. I faithfully bought an Annual Pass starting in 2002 up until around 5 years ago. As ticket prices increased, I found more things to-more "non-Park" days the last several visits. And I enjoy those non-park days a lot! I thought I might have found an Annual Pass I might consider-the Pixie Dust pass. But then I found out that you have to be a Florida resident. So I guess I'll continue just doing about 3 park days in a weeks visit to WDW-and of course, there's always the possibility of spending more time at HHI.:-)

If we didn't already have NYE plans we might buy one. I would buy one next time we start making plans and would be happy to avoid the blackout dates.

Agree and I would also add that those who stay in an onsite resort can make park reservations from either the AP bucket or the resort bucket. IMO, this is a big plus for DVC members who use their membership to stay the vast majority of the time. If a DVC member gets shut out of park reservations, they are either making a last minute trip during a very popular time or don't bother to make park reservations until the very last minute.

While I would love a discount on the Sorcerer Pass, I am grateful just to have the option to buy it. It is not offered to the general public and is priced several hundred dollars less than the Incredipass. We have no desire to go during the block out periods - too crowded for us!

One hand up, the other down.

Getting APs for me and my wife (3 trips planned over the next year).

Not getting passes for my kids since they are only going on one of those trips.

I just found out all Magic Key Passes at DisneyLand have blockout dates. Including the last two weeks of the year for the holidays.
Makes me very nervous about future of Annual Pass .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter