Rain Tips

jenniferahardin87

Earning My Ears
of course the forecast is showing rain all the days of my trip :) LOL
besides ponchos, any tips or must haves for parks in the rain?

We will be there too! I'm packing an extra pair of sneakers for everyone incase they are soaked after 1 day. I also have a waterproof backpack.

Flip flops, clean socks, and a small towel. When it starts raining, change your shoes. When it stops and dries out a bit, put them back on. I know it sounds funny, but bring an extra pair of undies. Few things are worse than a soaked undercarriage when your about to walk 10 miles.

I've made a habit of stashing an entire dry bag of clothes in a locker at the beginning of the day. I've gotten swamp butt something fierce before and don't want to anger the monster again.

The really thin waterproof crib mats make it into my bag. I have some that are about 18in x 14in, just big enough to plop a butt down on for rides and shows. They fold up small enough to not take up hardly any room.

One poncho per person, plus a couple extra. You can use them to sit on for parades, etc. My best rain tip is to wait the rain out if possible. We had one trip that was just filled with rain. Not your normal FL afternoon shower, but so much rain all day, almost everyday. But we usually tried to wait ot out and when there was a break we got so much accomplished! Lots of rides had no wait and we could just walk on.

A nice size towel( whatever will fit in your bag) to wipe yourself off a little when you go inside to an air conditioned area. Never will I forget going in to watch Country Bear Jamboree to get out of the rain. We were only a little wet ( were wearing pomchos )and it was cool inside. That's when my wife turned to me and said "from now on if it's raining we need to bring a towel so we can dry off a little"

Something to put your poncho in when you are inside, a big zip lock would work if nothing else. I sort mix it up between a poncho, a rain jacket and an umbrella just depending on how hard it is raining. I have a pouch for my rain jacket and I turn it inside out before I put it in there. I also have one for my umbrella. I have different lengths of rain jackets as well. If it's just supposed to be a drizzling rain all day, I'll take the shorter one. If it's going to rain hard all day, I have one that goes all the way to the ground and I wear it, it even has pockets in it, ain't no way anything but my shoes are getting wet when I wear that. It's not good if it's not going to rain all day because it's kind of hard to fold up small enough to put back up when it stops raining. I have one of the Disney Parks ponchos, they are a little better quality and cover me completely. The trouble with a poncho is your arms will be exposed and if you need to reach for anything, there is a possibility that rain is going down into the poncho and if there is any wind, it might ride up in the front getting your front wet.

If you have quick drying shorts/shirts take those.

Wet socks are the worst. Wear some water shoes/ water-resistant sandals if you have them. I'm partial to Keen Whispers. I also have a lightweight rain jacket from NorthFace that is perfect for warm rainstorms. It folds down into itself and has interior pockets. I just can't with ponchos.

I’ll be there too! I will say a few years ago we had a trip booked over Memorial Day weekend and there was supposed to be enough rain for flooding and it didn’t rain once. So keep your fingers crossed!!

A wide brim rainproof hat is great. Worked better than an umbrella. My husband put his REI hat on our granddaughter. She loved it and didn't want to give it back. She kept it for the rest of the trip. It had a drawstring and was wide enough all around that it covered her neck and shoulders as well. It kept her head dry in the rain and kept the sun off in the heat. My husband then had to make due with a baseball hat. LOL. Didn't nearly provide the rain and sun protection.

I take flip flops that are lightweight and are made of materials that won't get rain-soaked. I use a carabiner clip to attach them to the outside of my backpack. So when I change back into socks/sneaks (after rain stops) they don't get the inside of my backpack wet and dirty.

waterproof hiking sandals like Keens or Tevas work great for my family. Also good for Splash Mountain, and especially Kali River Rapids. We just put on our $1 disposable ponchos and go go go :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter