Rain: Restaurants & WOC Party

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
Hoping the forecast changes but every time I check we’ve got more rain coming next week. So we’re basically prepping to swim our way through DLR if necessary to have fun ;) Rain is forecast for our: wine seminar, WOC dessert party, Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe.

Wine seminar: can’t imagine anyone has actually had one of these rained out by chance? They don’t cover it in the terms besides “no refunds”. Can’t imagine Disney would say “cancelled due to rain but we’re keeping your money, lol” if they cancel it but...

WOC DP: will be refunded if they cancel, show runs in light run, jury seems to be out on what light rain does to the party?

CO & CC: both have outdoor dining areas, do they close & cancel all ADRs or try to accommodate people in the inside areas?

I’m less than a week out at this point so starting to get worried it might actually rain. I think we’re going to pick up some rain gear today. (Returnable if we don’t use it, Frog something is what I saw online you put the pants & jacket on over clothes, any experience with that type of rain gear?) Umbrella sounds like more of a hassle than they’re worth but we have two people in glasses (no contacts), are umbrellas even allowed?

I can’t believe I’M the one doing the OMG Rain!! thread today. I wanted to cry when I saw that forecast this morning :( but want to make the best of it.

WOC DP: will be refunded if they cancel, show runs in light run, jury seems to be out on what light rain does to the party?
I have done the dessert party in light rain. Yes, it rains on your dessert. It didn't rain hard enough for anything to really happen other than we said, "OMG it's raining." Some people freaked a little bit and the wait staff quickly gave them plastic containers for their food. We just pulled our hoods up. It didn't rain during the entire party - only the last 15 minutes or so. I would classify it as no big deal if you have a raincoat on at the time and maybe ask for the plastic to go container right away if you are concerned that it will end up raining on your food. I couldn't imagine them trying to run the party in harder rain.

I wouldn't stress about the rain just yet. A week out means that forecast is not set in stone. Last week we had some rain and the forecast said rain for three days (about a week out) but it really ended up being about a 24-hour period of off and on rain. If it does rain next week I wouldn't expect three solid days nor would I expect torrential rain although you never know.

That said, I've done Disney in the rain and I find umbrellas annoying. Ponchos are much easier and keep you drier. Plus you can put them over your backpack or whatever bag you're carrying. If you have water proof shoes or boots, that will be nice. I don't really have these since I live here and we don't get much rain and every time I've done Disney in the rain the worst part is my cold, wet feet.

If you do get rain, the crowd levels should be nice, so there is that tradeoff at least! Honestly, I have done Disney several times in light rain and it's hardly a issue, and twice in downpour type rain. The heavy rain days were still so much fun and very memorable.

CO & CC: both have outdoor dining areas, do they close & cancel all ADRs or try to accommodate people in the inside areas?
As others have noted, I think it does depend on how much rain is forecasted, for how long, and what time of the day it is. If it's going to be really rainy, then CO could close and cancel all ADRs because most of their seating is outdoors. I was there one time when it was looking pretty ominous (at lunch time) and the server mentioned that they might all get to go home soon. Carnation, on the other hand, has about half the seating indoor and outdoor, so they will probably remain open (and assume that some percentage of people will not show up and they won't have to accommodate walk-ups).

Last edited:

Calming down now :) We got some good rain jackets and rain boots for the fam member who didn’t have any (it hasn’t been raining where I live so everything is still in stock right now!) so we should be good to go. We have some obscenely expensive smelly plastic Disney ponchos from a freak downpour in WDW last year so we can always add those to the mix just in case. Doesn’t seem like rain pants are gonna be necessary, if it rains that hard I think we’d duck in somewhere. Thanks again for helping me think through all this and get some other perspectives besides my PANIC!!! perspective :D

Calming down now :) We got some good rain jackets and rain boots for the fam member who didn’t have any (it hasn’t been raining where I live so everything is still in stock right now!) so we should be good to go. We have some obscenely expensive smelly plastic Disney ponchos from a freak downpour in WDW last year so we can always add those to the mix just in case. Doesn’t seem like rain pants are gonna be necessary, if it rains that hard I think we’d duck in somewhere. Thanks again for helping me think through all this and get some other perspectives besides my PANIC!!! perspective :D
We watched it pour and hail pellets while under the PeterPan covered area last week. It was over by the time we were off the ride.
Sure makes everyone freak out.
The COLD temps were what hit me. I'd packed for warmer temps. Got a little cold at the WOC dessert party.
They kept my hot coco filled and that kept my hands warm. The flames at the end of the pirate scene was appreciated. Could have used that a few more times.

We were scheduled for the dessert party last Friday night. There was light rain until close to the time we were seated. Plastic bags were removed from the chairs as we were seated. It was chilly. The desserts were good. Unfortunately there was a technical malfunction and the show was cancelled. I'm still waiting for the promised refund.

The refund did not show up online as posted to my credit card account until Saturday, a week after the event, although the account listing shows it as having been issued on Thursday. I think I contacted Guest Services about it on Thursday. I received a phone call from Disneyland today, from the City Hall number, making sure I knew that the refund had been processed on their end, but that some financial institutions take a while to process them.

We watched it pour and hail pellets while under the PeterPan covered area last week. It was over by the time we were off the ride.
Sure makes everyone freak out.
The COLD temps were what hit me. I'd packed for warmer temps. Got a little cold at the WOC dessert party.
They kept my hot coco filled and that kept my hands warm. The flames at the end of the pirate scene was appreciated. Could have used that a few more times.
The temps for next week are showing low. I’ll check again the day before we leave so I’m not overpacking. What do you wish you had for warmth? I’ve found myself feeling cold too many times and wishing I had gloves.

The temps for next week are showing low. I’ll check again the day before we leave so I’m not overpacking. What do you wish you had for warmth? I’ve found myself feeling cold too many times and wishing I had gloves.
Sitting at the table for the show is when I got a little chilly. The temp was cooler and there was a slight breeze.
I wore jeans, a blouse and a zip-up sweatshirt. It would have been nice to be wearing sweatpants or have a blanket for my legs.

Saw lots of people wearing gloves and heavy jackets.

Enjoy your trip.

Geemo

The day it was supposed to be showers most of the day but 50 to 60 during the day and possibly 40 at night, I went into the parks wearing my Totes rain cape/poncho over a short-sleeved shirt and carrying a hoodie. The poncho kept the showers off yet was cool enough when the sun was out. The evening when it rained I had a pullover sweatshirt under a hoodie under the poncho, but despite wearing a skort I was warm enough. One son had brought a coat and no sweatshirts. He ended up borrowing from other family members and adding a poncho. Layers are best. I brought gloves but never needed them. Some men in our group had brought raincoats or waterproof windbreakers to wear over hoodies. We had brought disposable ponchos, but taking them off once and putting them back on resulted in rips. The Disney poncho we purchased worked well also as a ground cover for Fantasmic and protected us from a sticky spill by a child behind us. It went under the poncho.

We had rain during our dessert party. We are from Oregon and very used to rain, but it was enough that it was rather uncomfortable. We had coats/ponchos, but we couldn't eat or drink anything because it was just all wet and gross. They gave us boxes to go. Also, the rain just ran off the table onto whichever of us was lowest. lol And the people standing in front of our section had umbrellas....truly, it was a bummer. But, still nice to sit? And the show went on as planned and was beautiful.

It’s great to hear everyone’s experiences. I’m keeping this thread bumped for any other tips or experiences. I’m coming next week. Only one day is showing rain but the temps appear cool!

Reporting back!

We arrived just under an hour prior and the line wasn’t even set up on Wed night for WOC DP. It was not raining at this point. We hovered over by Ariel and the line was set up about 20 mins later and started instantly filling. There were about a dozen people in front of us. We sat on blankets while waiting. When being seated I requested a high top in the front row. Luckily we ended up right in front of the bar. Toward the end of eating the server came by with plastic containers and told us it was about to start raining. It then proceeded to rain, not super heavy but I was glad we had umbrellas and no one behind us so we could use them. Show proceeded in the rain.

Other than that the weather was fine. We ate inside at CO due to being chilly as well as at CC but there was no rain either time.

No rain during our seminars but the wind picked up Wed during our champagne seminar. DO NOT SIT IN BACK!! Even if you have to split from your party. Half our party sat together in the back along the patio long bench and spent the seminar hearing every other word (even after requesting the presenter speak up) while trying to hold all their glasses down because the wind kept trying to blow them over. As soon as people left the area glasses started blowing over in the wind. No one should have been seated back there. Paying $20 to hear every other word and battle the wind to prevent champagne landing in your lap = not cool Disney. I told them to write Disney guest relations with their experience, idk if they will. FWIW: anyone doing a seminar get there at least 20 mins early so you can sit with your group. You will have to stand in line then. Both our seminars were like 95% full.

Thanks for the update! Does anyone know how often Fantasmic is canceled due to rain? We have tickets for the River Belle Terrace viewing Thursday the 22nd, and I'm concerned we will be out of luck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not sure how often it is canceled, but it was canceled on March 10th due to rain. It had rained almost all day.

Thanks for the update! Does anyone know how often Fantasmic is canceled due to rain? We have tickets for the River Belle Terrace viewing Thursday the 22nd, and I'm concerned we will be out of luck. Any advice would be appreciated.
It depends on how wet the rain is since it becomes a hazard for the CMs if it’s slippery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter