Rain...Really?

PlutoTheDog89

DIS Veteran
We've never been one to let rain put a damper on our trip, but just checked the forecast for our vacation (3/29 - 4/2) and it's calling for rain most of the weekend!

Wouldn't be so bad if we weren't coming from a very cold northeast and looking forward to some pool time. I thought end of March/April was relatively dry in Orlando? Should we worry about the rain this weekend, or is it usually a quick shower, then it's gone?

3 days is the forecast you can consider "accurate". anything beyond that is just speculation on historical trends. Weather hits central florida this time a year via the gulf of mexico. Very difficult how systems move across the gulf.

Odds are more in your favor of seeing zero rain during your trip. It won't be raining most of the weekend.

Don't look more than about 24 hours out at weather. And even then, rain at MK could mean sunny skies at AK. And most rain storms last less than an hour. It would be rare to just have full on rain during majority of your trip.

Perfect. I remember talking to a local and them saying it's usually a dry month. I plan on planting myself by the pool every afternoon.

I couldn't even tell you the last day I saw rain. We could really use it though. Tons of fires around

We had rain forecast 70% at least every day of our trip in September. It rained once while we were in FOTLK. Don’t worry about weather ever. Unless there’s a hurricane of course :rotfl:(which you won’t have to worry about now of course)

On March 19 and 20, the forecast had been 60% to 80% chance of rain (even 100% chance for the 20th about 3 days out).

But we encountered only a few drops both days.

Don't forget that a 90% chance of rain doesn't mean that it's going to rain for 90% of the day. It just means that there's a 90% chance that it will rain at some point during the day for some period of time.

We had a trip a few years ago in late April/May when the forecast was pretty good heading in and then it rained heavy/steady for something like 5 of the 7 days we were there. It was a pretty miserable trip. We largely gave up on the parks and spent a bunch of time at the resort bars. I don't care how positive people are, walking around a park in a poncho with soaking wet shoes/socks and pants in a driving rain is not fun.

Everywhere you look the grass on the side of the streets in Orlando is bone dry,it looks like hay.We are well in dry season,there's been about two days in the last week we got some rain but for the most part it has not been raining.I just looked at the forecast on your days and it doesn't look too bad,the chance of rain you're seeing will be mostly from the possibility of fast moving clouds that could have some showers in them.Rainy season starts late May or June,that's when you can really expect to see frequent rain.

We had a trip a few years ago in late April/May when the forecast was pretty good heading in and then it rained heavy/steady for something like 5 of the 7 days we were there. It was a pretty miserable trip. We largely gave up on the parks and spent a bunch of time at the resort bars. I don't care how positive people are, walking around a park in a poncho with soaking wet shoes/socks and pants in a driving rain is not fun.

I agree completely. When we went last summer we went in with positive thoughts and high hopes. Well the rain definitely wasn’t as good or manageable as people make it out to be on these boards. We were prepared with good quality ponchos, rain coats, umbrellas etc. And yet we were still wet and miserable. We didn’t feel like the rain made the crowds go away all that much. When we were outside we were soaked and when we were inside we were freezing cold from the air conditioner hitting our soaked skin and clothes. Eating lunch was a nightmare, we got our food but couldn’t find anywhere to sit because so many people who weren’t eating were using the tables to hide from the rain. So we had to sit on the floor and eat our lunch on wet cement.

It was so bad that when I plan my next trip my only goal will be to avoid rain. I’ll take crowds or heat over that rain anyday. At least you can swim in the heat! (We couldn’t swim because the pool was closed for lightning in the area).

I agree completely. When we went last summer we went in with positive thoughts and high hopes. Well the rain definitely wasn’t as good or manageable as people make it out to be on these boards. We were prepared with good quality ponchos, rain coats, umbrellas etc. And yet we were still wet and miserable. We didn’t feel like the rain made the crowds go away all that much. When we were outside we were soaked and when we were inside we were freezing cold from the air conditioner hitting our soaked skin and clothes. Eating lunch was a nightmare, we got our food but couldn’t find anywhere to sit because so many people who weren’t eating were using the tables to hide from the rain. So we had to sit on the floor and eat our lunch on wet cement.

It was so bad that when I plan my next trip my only goal will be to avoid rain. I’ll take crowds or heat over that rain anyday. At least you can swim in the heat! (We couldn’t swim because the pool was closed for lightning in the area).

Sadly you can't plan your trip based on rain because it can rain any day of any month. Even months were its not supposed to be very rainy, can have days upon days of random rain.

Just gotta deal with the situation when it comes and do what you can.

I am going in the summer for first time. Whatever happens happens, can't control it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter