• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rain Ponchos?

KMW924

Earning My Ears
I am going to Disney in August so I know I am going to encounter rain. I know years ago the Disney ponchos were much better quality than the cheap dollar store ones. I don't mind spending a little more if they last through my trip. Are they still a better quality or has that changed. Last time I was probably 15 years ago.

Better quality, no, I think the same. The cheap ones ( Walmart/dollar store etc) are ok if you have enough to throw away as they often become a tangled mess being so thin. I used to buy extras. The rain in summer is on/off as you know so ur having to remove them so ur not crazy sweating in sometimes sweltering sun.
The Disney ones, though heavier gauge hold up somewhat better but bulkier storage to me and I didn’t feel comfortable just ditching them at days end because of cost. Would have to hang them to dry out, another annoyance.
It’s a toss... both will keep you relatively dry, but affordability and ease of use/storage are different in my mind.
We prefer the cheap throw aways, if/when needed.
Have a wonderful ( limited rain!) Visit.

Yes, they are much better quality than the cheap disposable ones.

They are meant to be reused, so whether that’s worth it to you is up to you. :)

I take both and an umbrella, then I can decide which one to use on any given day. When we go during rainy season, we always have one of the disposable ones in our pants pockets for just in case. If I know it's going to be a light rain all day or just a quick shower maybe, I'll take the umbrella. If we know it's going to be a rainy day with pretty good showers, we will take the Disney ponchos since they are heavier and do hold up to the heavy rains better. We don't carry a bag so it's just something that will fit in a pocket or hook on to a belt loop in the case of the umbrella. If I know I'm going to carry a Disney poncho, I'll wear boys shorts that have bigger cargo pockets.

The Disney ones are much better quality than those at a dollar store. I tried the dollar store ones for one trip. All it took was one good downpour, and I was in the store, buying Disney ones.

I am going to Disney in August so I know I am going to encounter rain. I know years ago the Disney ponchos were much better quality than the cheap dollar store ones. I don't mind spending a little more if they last through my trip. Are they still a better quality or has that changed. Last time I was probably 15 years ago.
The dollar store ones rip the first time you use them. Disney ones in my experience last longer.

We used cheap thinner ones last time and it was nice to throw them away instead of trying to figure out how to dry or store wet ponchos for 6 people. There are 7 of us now, and 3 kids. I got cheap throw away ones on amazon. I get way too hot in the thick ones in California just riding a ride, I can’t image walking around in FL Summer heat and humidity in one! We use the amazon ones on water rides at DL and have never had one rip.

We went to the $1 store and bought a couple dozen cheap ponchos. Very small and light to carry until it rains. After the rain ends we toss them. Had plenty for the whole week. Worked great for water rides too!

We reused the Disney ones for YEARS before they finally bit the dust. We haven't replaced them, but in our last couple of years we haven't encountered rain that our lightweight windbreaker-type jackets couldn't handle, and they packed small enough that we didn't mind hauling them through the parks.

We went to the $1 store and bought a couple dozen cheap ponchos. Very small and light to carry until it rains. After the rain ends we toss them. Had plenty for the whole week. Worked great for water rides too!

exactly this although I bought fewer

I truly prefer a rain jacket to any type of poncho. It seems that I'm always soaked when I try to get the dang poncho off, and it's so hard to dry them out! I love my hooded windbreaker from Gap and also my Minnie Mouse one. I just think the hooded jackets are easier to wear. And we NEVER use an umbrella in the parks. Too hard to avoid running into people! :umbrella:

We have the Disney ponchos and the cheaper ponchos ordered via Amazon. They both serve their purpose. We use the cheap ones on Kali and when it seems that we're in the middle of a short downpour. I like being able to just toss them after use. However, we've endured some torrential rain at Disney that seemed to blow sideways. The disposable ponchos wouldn't stand a chance in that rain, so we've then used the Disney ponchos. The drawback to only using the Disney ponchos is that you then have to fold up into a Ziploc bag and deal with drying them out at night. Additionally, if it were to rain a second time during the day, you have to wear an already-wet poncho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter