Radiance of the Seas...

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
We are on her now. She's a beautiful ship, not too big or small. Crew and food are wonderful. We are docked in Hilo Hawaii right now.

I want to know if anyone else who has sailed her experienced a lot more rolling, right and left than on other ships. We had 5 sea days in the Pacific on our way to Hiko, and the first 4 were pretty bad. Captain was asked questions about it, he replied the Pacific had these undercurrent, then he talked about her being relatively narrow. Honestly, we were in the Pacific on the Wonder coming up from the Panama Canal and never experienced the rolling like that.

The swells were noticeable on the first day, but the ship rolled even when there were not whitecaps.

Some in my group did take sea sick meds, and we survived. It was not terrible, but very noticeable. Just wondering about other's experiences on the Radiance of the Seas!

We had presentation talks about Hawaii by Quintinn Holi and they were wonderful!

Bobbi:boat:

We are on her now. She's a beautiful ship, not too big or small. Crew and food are wonderful. We are docked in Hilo Hawaii right now.

I want to know if anyone else who has sailed her experienced a lot more rolling, right and left than on other ships. We had 5 sea days in the Pacific on our way to Hiko, and the first 4 were pretty bad. Captain was asked questions about it, he replied the Pacific had these undercurrent, then he talked about her being relatively narrow. Honestly, we were in the Pacific on the Wonder coming up from the Panama Canal and never experienced the rolling like that.

The swells were noticeable on the first day, but the ship rolled even when there were not whitecaps.

Some in my group did take sea sick meds, and we survived. It was not terrible, but very noticeable. Just wondering about other's experiences on the Radiance of the Seas!

We had presentation talks about Hawaii by Quintinn Holi and they were wonderful!

Bobbi:boat:
There's a big difference between sailing up the coast from Panama to LA and sailing the deep pacific between the U.S and Hawaii. The Radiance class ships are about the same length as the Wonder, but actually are a bit wider and slightly heavier. The big difference (which may explain the rolling) is that Radiance class ships are taller by 2+ decks than the Wonder. We've noticed a bit more movement on that class of ship when sailing in seas where the current wasn't consistent, and the winds were shifting. If I remember the discussion at the captain's corner the last time we sailed that class, there are combinations of wind, waves, and current the pretty much negate the benefit of the stabilizers. You're also sailing in the peak of the Pacific hurricane season, which doesn't help any.

We sailed on the Radiance a couple of years ago from Sydney to Honolulu. We encountered some of the smoothest sailing we have ever seen. My wife is prone to motion sickness actually went without taking her bonnine for several days.

bobbiwoz, I am sailing on Radiance in April, 2016 the Honolulu to Vancouver. Looking forward to this trip. Are you planning a trip report? Would love to hear about your trip and also see pictures. Never been to Hawaii....

Thanks for all the feedback! Our group appreciates the explanation! We tendered into Kona today, and I met a fellow Disboarder, mommytotwo, who lives on this beautiful island!

I do not do trip reports, but here are two pictures from a helicopter in Hilo! My sister did the ride over the volcano area!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi Bobbi,
The photos are beautiful, and trust you are having a wonderful time.
Since you're well-acquainted with the Disney experience, what are the key things that we should know before our first cruise on RCCL? Are staterooms noticeably smaller?
We're doing the Southern Caribbean itinerary on the Jewel of the Seas later this year. Looking at photos online, there are aspects of the ship that are reminiscent of the Magic and Wonder.
Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Bobbi,
The photos are beautiful, and trust you are having a wonderful time.
Since you're well-acquainted with the Disney experience, what are the key things that we should know before our first cruise on RCCL? Are staterooms noticeably smaller?
We're doing the Southern Caribbean itinerary on the Jewel of the Seas later this year. Looking at photos online, there are aspects of the ship that are reminiscent of the Magic and Wonder.
Enjoy your cruise!
Having sailed both Magic, Wonder and Jewel several times, I believe you will find that the staterooms on Jewel actually have more living space than a corresponding cabin on either Disney ship. While the Disney cabins spec out slightly larger (in sq. ft.), the layout (walls that jog in and out opposite the bed), and the placement of large furniture pieces, along with the double bathroom, actually shrink the usable (living/moving around without bumping into things) space. Suitcases also actually fit under the beds on Jewel :) From an aesthetic standpoint, the Radiance class ships are probably the closest in the richness of the décor to the interior public areas on Magic or Wonder. The most noticeable difference is the use of windows. While Disney ships tend to be inwardly looking (think about the walk from Animators or Carioca's to the venues on the front of the ship and the only outward views are from oversized portholes), Radiance class ships are very much outward looking. Regardless of where you are in a public area, you get expansive views of the sea. In fact our favorite spot for sail away is in the schooner bar, which has floor to ceiling windows that run the entire length of the venue.

Where you will come up short (unless you're in a Junior Suite or above): No tub (only a shower); no bathroom amenities (other than bars of soap and some mystery shampoo-ey stuff in a dispenser in the shower); and a lack of channels on the in room TV (but they do play Disney movies - go figure :) ).

Does Radiance have the shower curtains or the glass doors? I personally prefer the doors of the Freedom/Oasis classes than the curtains and tubs on Disney (excluding the round tubs on Dream class). I find there is actually a lot more shower space with the glass doors.

Does Radiance have the shower curtains or the glass doors? I personally prefer the doors of the Freedom/Oasis classes than the curtains and tubs on Disney (excluding the round tubs on Dream class). I find there is actually a lot more shower space with the glass doors.
It's been a while since we sailed in a regular balcony cabin on that class, but they used to have the curtains. They still have curtains in the tubs in the suites, however.

We sailed on the Radiance in 2011 on heir Alaska itinerary. It was pretty smooth. I think it has more to do with the route you are sailing.

We have the round shower area with fabric curtain. Not a lot of room, water on the floor until we got used to it, but we figured it out.:)

We usually get a balcony, our room and balcony seem comparable to what we get on DCL.

We are a group of 6, have anytime dining, but truly, we did not have much choice of times because apparently most people booked on line before the cruise. So we have eaten at 5:45 every day, same table, excellent service from our table team, and a great assistant maitre'd! We're giving him a WOW envelope today, have appreciated his visits to our table.

Room service for breakfast does include scrambled eggs, not on DCL, so I appreciate that.

The Radiance will be on its way to Australia. Some of our group have a 2 year plan...we want to be on THAT cruise in 2017! We've begun asking friends about interest. RCCL is not out that far, but we need to plan and save!

Bobbi:)

PS. Besides the shampoo in the dispenser, which I did not use, we had tubes of shampoo and conditioner, body lotion and 1 more. The tubes were replaced as I used them. Shampoo and conditioner are good quality, I have unruly hair!

PS. Besides the shampoo in the dispenser, which I did not use, we had tubes of shampoo and conditioner, body lotion and 1 more. The tubes were replaced as I used them. Shampoo and conditioner are good quality, I have unruly hair!

Nice! Not all Royal ships supply shampoo; Vision certainly does NOT in a normal room. LOL, I brought my DCL H2O+. :)

I didn't get this on Oasis but apparently they supply them depending on your C&A level? I just had the normal shampoo dispenser and soap.

I didn't get this on Oasis but apparently they supply them depending on your C&A level? I just had the normal shampoo dispenser and soap.
While it may vary somewhat by ship and itinerary, the inclusion of bathroom amenities starts at a Junior Suite, or once you reach Diamond (80 cruise nights). However, if you ask your stateroom attendant, they often can make them magically appear :)

Having sailed both Magic, Wonder and Jewel several times, I believe you will find that the staterooms on Jewel actually have more living space than a corresponding cabin on either Disney ship. While the Disney cabins spec out slightly larger (in sq. ft.), the layout (walls that jog in and out opposite the bed), and the placement of large furniture pieces, along with the double bathroom, actually shrink the usable (living/moving around without bumping into things) space. Suitcases also actually fit under the beds on Jewel :) From an aesthetic standpoint, the Radiance class ships are probably the closest in the richness of the décor to the interior public areas on Magic or Wonder. The most noticeable difference is the use of windows. While Disney ships tend to be inwardly looking (think about the walk from Animators or Carioca's to the venues on the front of the ship and the only outward views are from oversized portholes), Radiance class ships are very much outward looking. Regardless of where you are in a public area, you get expansive views of the sea. In fact our favorite spot for sail away is in the schooner bar, which has floor to ceiling windows that run the entire length of the venue.

Where you will come up short (unless you're in a Junior Suite or above): No tub (only a shower); no bathroom amenities (other than bars of soap and some mystery shampoo-ey stuff in a dispenser in the shower); and a lack of channels on the in room TV (but they do play Disney movies - go figure :) ).

We have the round shower area with fabric curtain. Not a lot of room, water on the floor until we got used to it, but we figured it out.:)

We usually get a balcony, our room and balcony seem comparable to what we get on DCL.

We are a group of 6, have anytime dining, but truly, we did not have much choice of times because apparently most people booked on line before the cruise. So we have eaten at 5:45 every day, same table, excellent service from our table team, and a great assistant maitre'd! We're giving him a WOW envelope today, have appreciated his visits to our table.

Room service for breakfast does include scrambled eggs, not on DCL, so I appreciate that.

The Radiance will be on its way to Australia. Some of our group have a 2 year plan...we want to be on THAT cruise in 2017! We've begun asking friends about interest. RCCL is not out that far, but we need to plan and save!

Bobbi:)

Thanks -- these are ever-so-helpful in putting this Disney-cruising family at ease! We can live without the tub and the amenities, and never watch the TV anyway. I guess the only other major difference that I've found (other than the free soda on DCL) is the handling of pool towels. We can manage that too, I think!

Thanks -- these are ever-so-helpful in putting this Disney-cruising family at ease! We can live without the tub and the amenities, and never watch the TV anyway. I guess the only other major difference that I've found (other than the free soda on DCL) is the handling of pool towels. We can manage that too, I think!
I actually prefer the Royal pool towels as they are a good size. Unless you are a child the Disney ones are tiny. Having to check them in and out doesn't bother me.

At Aulani now, and chatted with folks who were on the Wonder, and they found the left/ right movement about the same as we did.

Good news then, RCL abandoned their check out policy on pool towels almost 18 months ago. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter