• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Race reports

cewait

DIS Veteran
Ok let's hear them

I'll start it off.

Family Fun Run.

It's been decade since I ran the Family Fun Run and truly loved it. Though, this year the population of the race felt a little more serious than the previous ones. I think it due to the fact that over half the runners were knocking off 3 of the 48 weekend miles.

I met up with several friends in the corral and the time passed rather quickly. The C corral went off and I quickly made my way out to the far point of the parking lot. A little too quickly as I was pushing an 8 minute pace. I was able to pull back pace and reset the run to a rather short 2/1 run walk ratio. I got lots of high fives from smaller runners as I ambled by throughout the race. I hooked up with a first time 5k runner who was suffering just at the 3 mile mark and 'coached' her to the line.

I ended up running the race a little faster than planned setting a Florida Resident PR for the 5k. It's still a good 10+ minutes off my 50+ year old PR but much faster than planned. I did get wet as I neared the car in the parking lot. The rest of today is spent packing and moving into the GFV. Later in the day I have to be back at the house to receive shipment on a kayak.

Hope everyone else had a great morning.

Yay! I love reading race reports! Especially from marathon weekend. Was thinking of you all while I got ready this am for a boring day of work.

Coach- glad you had a good run! Have a good run tomorrow as well and also- report on your GFV experience - I am dyin to stay there! Lol

Thanks for the report Coach. I will be there next month for the PHM, but I keep thinking of everyone at the marathon events this weekend.
Good luck everyone, and have FUN!
I can't wait to hear all of the reports.

I was one of those 'serious' runners knocking out 3.1 of 48.6 :). I was fun, I did it around 13 mm, for 5k that's about where I should be. Just wanted to get out and get running! No issues, fun time, looking forward to keeping on keepin on :D. Took some pics but didnt stop for anything. Guess I missed beast lol go figure.

My morning went pretty well. Like you said, just knocking out the first 3 of 48. After starting off way too fast at the start of C, I slowed down to a comfortably slow 12 mm pace. The only photo I stopped for was Dopey in Germany. It took 20 minutes to get through the line, but I couldn't resist! The sprinkling rain as we finished felt quite nice and refreshing.

Lots of fun costumes out there today! I liked the lady who was running as the house from up, and there were a couple girls with great costumes running as Prince John and Robin Hood.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning. I can't wait to get there! Maybe I'll see some of you Saturday at the half. I'll be the guy running. :rotfl:

When we went by, I couldn't believe the length of the line for Dopey. Dopey was in the little courtyard where you commonly see Snow White, to the left of the Germany pavilion. The line extended from that courtyard, running left to right past the Germany pavilion, and ended by the miniature railroad by the restrooms.

Which raises a curious question: how to get out of here... No, sorry. The question is how can a runner wait for a line this long and still finish the 5k in 49.6 minutes, which is the 16 mpm pace required. Is it in fact required? Does Disney care if the 16 mpm is maintained for the Dopey runners?

When we went by, I couldn't believe the length of the line for Dopey. Dopey was in the little courtyard where you commonly see Snow White, to the left of the Germany pavilion. The line extended from that courtyard, running left to right past the Germany pavilion, and ended by the miniature railroad by the restrooms. Which raises a curious question: how to get out of here... No, sorry. The question is how can a runner wait for a line this long and still finish the 5k in 49.6 minutes, which is the 16 mpm pace required. Is it in fact required? Does Disney care if the 16 mpm is maintained for the Dopey runners?

Apparently not for the 5K. My "official" (according to my garmin) time was 56 minutes, and I still got my wristband. And I only stopped for one character! If suddenly on Sunday they start looking up official times, which were never posted anywhere, that I could tell, and disqualifying people who are "over pace", I bet I wouldn't be the only one who would be super pissed.

Of course, now I'm all worried and paranoid that I screwed myself from getting my Dopey medal by stopping for a photo and finishing over the required time limit. :( That honestly never even occurred to me this morning.

So fun! I've been thinking about everyone today and will continue to send good thoughts the next three days!!! Great job, everyone!

When we went by, I couldn't believe the length of the line for Dopey. Dopey was in the little courtyard where you commonly see Snow White, to the left of the Germany pavilion. The line extended from that courtyard, running left to right past the Germany pavilion, and ended by the miniature railroad by the restrooms.

Which raises a curious question: how to get out of here... No, sorry. The question is how can a runner wait for a line this long and still finish the 5k in 49.6 minutes, which is the 16 mpm pace required. Is it in fact required? Does Disney care if the 16 mpm is maintained for the Dopey runners?

Do they care? Probably not a lot, you will probably have dopey folks that take more then 7 hours to complete the marathon if they started ahead of the last wave, and stay in front of the sweepers that's all that really matters.. The 16mm is what they say, but that would be more if you were the last person crossing the finish line, then you would have to maintain 16mm.

yayy i've been waiting to start reading these! i've been combing twitter searching for updates/pics. looked wet at the finish!!

one thing i want to know/see - is inaugural really spelled wrong on the 10k bib?

great job to everyone who has run so far!

10k In. The. Books.

1:31 14:46 pace.. was perfect. Exactly what I was trying to find. I do the run walk and just do the run parts too fast. Sooooo.. I adjusted my ratio lol.. yes it will sound funny, but :15 -20 run.. :45 walk.. worked out to that 14:47. Granted that;s only 6 miles, but felt just fresh as a daisy.. probably smelled like a daisy in a pile of sweaty socks, but felt great...

I had a great 10K this morning! The weather was a little too humid for my liking, but not too hot, and finished before the sun had really come up. I ran/walked a nice 12 m/m pace, which combined with a few photos stops and a stop to say hi to my parents, lefts feeling pretty good.

The only thing I'd note is that my legs did feel a little heavy the first mile, but they loosened up and felt good after that.

Ran the 10K today-

Liked the course- wish there was more entertainment on the course even things like the stilt walkers/banners etc

Wish the ratio of dopey/10K was different or they sent one then the other- So many of the Dopeys took it slow from the start which made it super frustrating trying to find MY pace when it was trying to run upstream and spent a lot more time on the grass than should have. Lost a LOT of time/energy the first 2 miles trying to not just shuffle along

having a ratio of 7 dopeys to 3 10kers put the odds against us both in making those who a 10k is a GREAT achievement that should be celebrated as such (who cant/arnt doing a longer race) vs the 'notch on the belt' for the dopey kids which I felt the event was catered to.

I really hope the ratios tomorrow are different but as of now as much as I looked forward to this race (minnie is one of my fav characters and the 10k is my fav distance) I dont see myself running it again simply due to it being a 'dopey qualifier' vs a 'run disney event'

I ran the dumbo last year and loved that 10K since while there was plenty of dumbo kids everyone still 'tried' but there wasnt the full lingering over their effort...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter