Quiet place for a teen

briarwolf

Straight on till dawn
We are going to be cruising later this year, and my daughter will be 15 at the time. We have done DCL before, and she isn't too interested in the teen club. She would just as soon hang out with us on deck and read a book or draw in her sketch book (she is an aspiring animator). So, since she isn't old enough for the cove area, what is a quiet spot we can all hang together but still get some sun sitting on a deck chair? Thanks in advance for any good advice.

Which ship are you on? If it's the Magic or Wonder, maybe deck 10, above the pool, but not near the sports area, would be good for you to get some sun. I'm not sure how quiet the Fantasy/Dream are above the pool--I've only been on the Wonder.

I think deck 10 or 12, (depending on ship), above pool would be your best shot. We have teens that are clubbers and we spend a fair amount of time up there.

In bad weather check out any of the nightime venues, unless trivia or something is going on, those should be fairly quiet. Others have mentioned the jogging deck as a good place. You can also try to the rear of the aft funnel on the Dream since there isn't a water works there. Or the funnel puddle area on the Dream and Fantasy. Depending on the time of day there may be no one there.

We are going to be cruising later this year, and my daughter will be 15 at the time. We have done DCL before, and she isn't too interested in the teen club. She would just as soon hang out with us on deck and read a book or draw in her sketch book (she is an aspiring animator). So, since she isn't old enough for the cove area, what is a quiet spot we can all hang together but still get some sun sitting on a deck chair? Thanks in advance for any good advice.

You didn't say which ship (your countdown clock is not displaying for me) but I would say I was surprised how many places on the ship didn't have a lot of people much of the time. Anywhere before 8 AM. Most anywhere after 11 PM. Anywhere not near a pool most of the rest of the time. Deck 4, the deck above the pool, etc. If you go looking for no people, you will find it.

Reading and drawing with her parents? Congratulations! I'm sure you appreciate your good fortune. You will make additional excellent memories on this trip!

Honesty, at 15, especially if she looks 15 or older, and you guys aren't drawing much/any attention to yourselves, you probably could get away with quiet cove, especially not at busy times (at least from what I've experienced on the wonder/magic).
Other than that, deck 4, but there probably isn't a lot of sun.
Or deck 10 (again magic and wonder), but it can get windy up there at times if it's a sea day.

Honesty, at 15, especially if she looks 15 or older, and you guys aren't drawing much/any attention to yourselves, you probably could get away with quiet cove, especially not at busy times (at least from what I've experienced on the wonder/magic).
Other than that, deck 4, but there probably isn't a lot of sun.
Or deck 10 (again magic and wonder), but it can get windy up there at times if it's a sea day.

Please don't encourage people to do this. It's adults only because some of us really want to just have some quiet grown up time with no kids/teens around. There are plenty of places on the ship for families. Let the adult crowd have this one :)

Also, I would encourage her to at least go and check out Vibe. From my experience up there there are often a few girls who tend to be on the quieter side. They end up making friends and just hang out in vibe or around the ship.
Most cruises we'll get an older teen who just wants to sit quietly, bring they're book and read, paint some animation cells, make some friendship bracelets, play some card games with a counsellor or two, watch a movie. You'll be surprised how chilled and quiet it it, especially in the day.
Go there in open house on the embark, have a chat to the Counselors and they can suggest some activities and always point in the direction of a friend.

Please don't encourage people to do this. It's adults only because some of us really want to just have some quiet grown up time with no kids/teens around. There are plenty of places on the ship for families. Let the adult crowd have this one :)

Just saying, at the end of the day, if a teen looks older, how would you know they weren't old enough to be there? I'm 26 and regularly get ID'd but would you come and tell me to get out an adult only area because I look young?
I'd much rather have a quiet teen minding they're own business without an alternative motive around than some of the rowdy adults I've seen...

Just saying, at the end of the day, if a teen looks older, how would you know they weren't old enough to be there? I'm 26 and regularly get ID'd but would you come and tell me to get out an adult only area because I look young?
I'd much rather have a quiet teen minding they're own business without an alternative motive around than some of the rowdy adults I've seen...

They'll card people who look borderline in the adult areas. Plus, it's already hard to get a nice lounger, we really don't need extra people who shouldn't even be in there taking spots.

They won't just tell someone to get out because they look young. If they look young, they will card them. My son was carded in the Quiet Cove area about 6-7 times on our cruise before they got to know him. He was 19 at the time.

I agree - encouraging people to flaunt the rules just because it suits them isn't the proper thing to do.

They'll card people who look borderline in the adult areas. Plus, it's already hard to get a nice lounger, we really don't need extra people who shouldn't even be in there taking spots.

Alright...I've never seen anyone get their cards checked. And I said quiet times. I'm not encouraging four year olds to take it away from adults. There's plenty of times in the day when it's practically empty, believe me, I'm a CM and can only use it when it's not busy. I've seen much more obvious and annoying rule breaking.

Also hardly encouraging it when it was one suggestion out of three options. Didn't tell anyone to do, didn't tell anyone they would positively get away with it...

Also hardly encouraging it when it was one suggestion out of three options. Didn't tell anyone to do, didn't tell anyone they would positively get away with it...
Yes, it was one of three suggestions, but it certainly did seem "encouraging" when you say:

Honesty, at 15, especially if she looks 15 or older, and you guys aren't drawing much/any attention to yourselves, you probably could get away with quiet cove,

I'm surprised that, as a CM, you'd even suggest it.

Last edited:
Another place is in the nighttime districts (I think still) there are window seats that she can chill in

Yes, it was one of three suggestions, but it certainly did seem "encouraging" when you say:

I'm surprised that, as a CM, you'd even suggest it.

Ok. Calm down. I apologise for even posting and for being a disgraceful human being. Please ignore my comments.

You didn't say which ship (your countdown clock is not displaying for me) but I would say I was surprised how many places on the ship didn't have a lot of people much of the time. Anywhere before 8 AM. Most anywhere after 11 PM. Anywhere not near a pool most of the rest of the time. Deck 4, the deck above the pool, etc. If you go looking for no people, you will find it.

Reading and drawing with her parents? Congratulations! I'm sure you appreciate your good fortune. You will make additional excellent memories on this trip!
Thanks for the suggestions Anchors. We are blessed to have such a wonderful daughter.

Ok. Calm down. I apologise for even posting and for being a disgraceful human being. Please ignore my comments.
No, I won't ignore your comments... at least you responded to my post and actually tried to make some suggestions.
As for PrincessShmoo and IceskatingPrincess, I get that you are veterans on the Disboards and all, but I noticed neither of you had any good suggestions to make in concerns to my original question, only gripes about bbel's post. Get over yourselves and try offering something positive rather than just attacking other people's threads, otherwise you really aren't part of the solution.

Thanks everyone else for all the great suggestions. They are greatly appreciated and we will definitely use them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter