• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quick question RE:scooter rentals

ziggystardust

DIS Veteran
My aunt is travelling to WDW in a few days. She also just had surgery on her knee, and was in the hospital for over a week b/c of it. She can't walk too much b/c her knee and ankel swells. She by no means wants a scooter but we think she'll need it. (she also avoided going to the hospital for a very long time b/c she didn't think it was a big deal)

Anyway, what info does she need when renting a scooter? Doctor's notes?

Thanks!!

no doctor's notes needed. are you renting off site or from disney? (i recommend off-site). you'll probably need drivers license and credit card. i can't remember needing anything else.

If there is any chance that insurance will pay for it, then you would need a physician prescription for it.
But, just to rent one in general, she doesn't need anything except a driver's license and credti card as was already mentioned.

I have never been asked for a driver's license when renting an ECV, either from an off-site company or from Disney.

I would recommend using off-site as their ECVs are much more maneuverable than thos from Disney and they are available for use in the hotel or other locations as well as in the parks.

i'm pretty sure randy's asked for my license at drop off last january. i don't think walker's did the previous year--everything was taken care of on the phone before i arrived and i never saw them at all while i was there.

Cheshire Figment said:
I have never been asked for a driver's license when renting an ECV, either from an off-site company or from Disney.
my bad.
I just copied from the other poster.
Some people who are renting ecvs don't have driver's licenses, because they don't drive. I can see rental places aking for a driver's license or other ID for people who look like they might be under 18 (since most of the places won't rent for use by someone under 18). That's what I was thinking of, but what I wrote was misleading.

SueM in MN said:
my bad.
I just copied from the other poster.

sorry if i'm giving incorrect advice.

however, i'm sure i showed *something* to the person dropping off the ecv from randy's, and i don't think it was the credit card, as this had been taken care of over the phone prior to arrival. i'm pretty sure he asked me for my driver's license. i guess i would have substituted some other form of ID if i wasn't a driver.

as i said earlier, walker mobility didn't require anything, but i'm sure bell services looked at my room key or something to verify who i was before giving the ecv to me.

-dj

Thinking about it, it would make sense that they would not ask for ID if you are renting from the parks (they need a charge card, but don't really care who you are. If you have prepaid and they are delivering it to you, I hope they would ask for some proof that you are the correct person to deliver it to.

I think the prices are better off-site, aren't they? I'm trying to convince my Mom to use a scooter when we go next year. She has no idea how big the parks are. She thinks they are small and won't listen to reason. :rolleyes:

There is always the possibility of your renting it from an off-site company in advance and letting her know that it is paid for. If she still doesn't want to use it do Epcot in commando mode; that will change her mind!

Nik's Mom said:
I think the prices are better off-site, aren't they? I'm trying to convince my Mom to use a scooter when we go next year. She has no idea how big the parks are. She thinks they are small and won't listen to reason. :rolleyes:
You are right, the prices are better off-site. Plus, you have the advantage of having the scooter at your resort.
The only distance that I know for sure is that the walkway around WS in Epcot is 1.3 miles. My best guess is that it's at least the same distance from the entrance of the park to the entrance to WS, so that's over 2.5 miles in one park without really doing anything. If you actually go into any of the shops in the countries (or stray off the direct path to go anywhere in Epcot Future World), you could easily double that.

One of the things I have suggested that some people have said was helpful is to try to "personalize" the distance with things that are familiar. If you know the average tourist walks between 4 and 9 miles a day at WDW, find something that's about that distance from her house. She might think of the local grocery store as "really far", when it's only 3 miles from home. Knowing that every day at WDW will involve the equivilent of walking back and forth to the grocery store may help her to see why she needs an ecv.

Cheshire Figment said:
There is always the possibility of your renting it from an off-site company in advance and letting her know that it is paid for. If she still doesn't want to use it do Epcot in commando mode; that will change her mind!

Does anyone have names of companies or phone numbers of off-site ECV rentals?

I will be going to DW last week of Sept. I will be staying at the Pop Centry Resort. I will be flying down so I would need one sent to the Resort...is that possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Debi aka tinker1bell's sister

look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread stuck near the top of this board and you will find everything you need.

Excellent point, SueMN. Our church is 3 miles from home. I'll show her that distance and see what she says then. :cool1:

Nik's Mom,

I was getting the same resistance from my father about our upcoming Dec trip. He reasoned that he needed the excercise. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I finally sent him a map of Epcot and put a little stick note on the map and wrote "300 Acres". Then a map of AK with stick note and wrote 500 Acres.

He told me the other night on the phone, "I think I will need to rent a scooter". End of discussion. ;)

TurnR@TheMouseHouse said:
Nik's Mom,

I was getting the same resistance from my father about our upcoming Dec trip. He reasoned that he needed the excercise. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I finally sent him a map of Epcot and put a little stick note on the map and wrote "300 Acres". Then a map of AK with stick note and wrote 500 Acres.

He told me the other night on the phone, "I think I will need to rent a scooter". End of discussion. ;)
You get the prize for creative use of maps! :wizard:
Very good idea.

Parents can be so stuborn. That must be pay back for our teenage years ;) .
SueMN's idea of showing Mom how far 2 miles is at home did the trick. Our church is exactly 2 miles from our house. I asked my Mom if she could walk to church and of course she said no. So now she agrees that a scooter might be a wise choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter