Quick hotel help!! PLEASE! Re:candy cane inn

OJulie67

Mouseketeer
2 weeks ago I booked our room at the Candy Cane Inn for our trip to Disneyland. We are leaving tomorrow.
Now, I see that the Disneyland Hotel is offering rooms for 194.00 a night. I am paying 169.00 a night for the premium room at the Candy Cane.
Is it worth it for me to switch to the DL hotel?
It's only about a 100.00 or so difference now for the 2 hotels.
I've read all the wonderful reviews about the CC Inn, but I truly am not the "motel" type. I prefer to walk into a grand lobby! :lmao:

Is the Candy Cane really all I've read? This is a trip for my DD's birthday she will be 3 friday. It will be my DH (his 35th birthday tomorrow) We also have a DD age 7.

I'm really not sure what to do now!!

CCI gets great reviews, and I trust what people have said; but I would always stay on Disney property if I have the chance!! For $30 more per night, I'd do it. However, you might not get that 'grand lobby' feel if you're in one of the two towers that don't house registration.

If it were strictly a financial decision, CCI would be an excellent place to stay.

I love the CCI, but- The CCI doesnt get great reviews becuase it is a Grand hotel. Its one of the nicest motels in the area. But, you have to remember they are all old, 50's and 60's motels. They werent built to be GRAND. Its in a great location. The shuttle is wonderful. The breakfast is a time and money saver. Its not going to be as nice as the Disneyland hotel. But, $100 difference for the room and breakfast for a couple days quickly adds up. The DLH is a bit of a walk. For my family, we would stay at the CCI. The $150-200 savings would go a long ways toward feeding us for a couple days. But, we dont mind motels. Its really a personal call.

I prefer the DLH over the Candy Cane Inn. In general the rooms are much larger at the DLH and they are very Disney oriented. The Candy Cane Inn is great with a nice theme and pretty grounds but the DLH is more fun. However there is not a great grand lobby at the DLH. It is big but a bit generic. I would make the switch and request a room with 2 queen beds and a day bed.

If it helps, the cci is the #1 choice on TripAdvisor. Paradise Pier is something like #7. that being said, I think we're going to stay at PP because we might never get a chance to do it again! There is no other choice but a DLR at WDW but wouldn't normally do it at WDL

Having stayed in both I would choose Candy Cane Inn.

For the length of time that we spend in the room, basically to sleep, I would spend the extra money in DL on meals or souvies.

I'm not sure what days you'll be at DL/DCA, but if they are EE days (so not Wed or Sat) you should be able to go in to DL early - and that's a great reason to choose the DLH, in my opinion. :thumbsup2

We always stay at CCI when we don't stay on-site--in fact, we use CCI as our 'transition hotel' when we go to DL (the night before/after a stay at a resort hotel).

While the DLH doesn't have a grand lobby, you will certainly get more of a resort feel if you stay there. There is a lot to do on-site that CCI just doesn't have. Two-themed pools, the waterfalls, the koi pond, the motor boats, the Lost Bar (with the Lost Bar Margarita :cool1: ), and the hop-skip-jump to DTD. We love to just hang around the DLH when we stay, taking advantage of there is to do!

I've stayed at CCI more times than I can count, but would jump at the chance to switch at that price. CCI is a motel and I can't believe they are charging $169 for a premium room, which is basically just a little larger room than their standard rooms. There is no way I would pay that much in the first place for CCI, even though it's a nice and very convenient hotel with a better than average continental breakfast. The most I have paid there is $120 for the premium room and that was in 2004. Since then, we've stayed elsewhere for less (Desert Inn and Suites,) because I think they are overpricing their rooms due to their good ratings.

jocotter said:
I've stayed at CCI more times than I can count, but would jump at the chance to switch at that price. CCI is a motel and I can't believe they are charging $169 for a premium room, which is basically just a little larger room than their standard rooms. There is no way I would pay that much in the first place for CCI, even though it's a nice and very convenient hotel with a better than average continental breakfast. The most I have paid there is $120 for the premium room and that was in 2004. Since then, we've stayed elsewhere for less (Desert Inn and Suites,) because I think they are overpricing their rooms due to their good ratings.

I absolutely agree. What really makes the CCI nice is the staff. Some of the friendliest staff we have ever encountered. Sure the gardens are nice however.... number one is overrated...it still is a strip motel and the pool is very small. The premium room is a complete waste of money. Get a regular room on the top floor at the back if you choose to stay there. If you want a dash of Disney and you have kids stay at the DLH!

DLH for sure. That's a great price! Where are you guys finding such great deals! LOL I booked our trip months ago, and I think were paying $275 a night for a standard room! I'm jealous! :) I started looking online last night after seeing this post, but unfortunately everywhere I checked they didn't have any rooms for the dates we'll be there next week. Bummer!

It looks like $30 more per night, but it's not. Don't forget tax on $30 per night, the mandatory resort fee per night, and no breakfast at the DLH. I would say it ends up being about $50 more per night atleast. I would stick with the CCI, but that may be biased because I prefer PP or GC over the DLH. Either way you will have fun on your trip!

Andrea

CCI is my favourite of all the area hotels by a long shot (you actually get better service and the beds are much more comfortable than the DLH - IMO) but if the cost difference is small I would stay at a Disney property anyway. There is something about being surrounded by Disney all the time. On site is more important at WDW for sure but it is still nice at DL. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter