Quick & Casual Dining Certificates

jjpounds

Earning My Ears
I just received my Q&C Dining Certificates today from Hotwire and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their personal dining experience regarding voucher redeption.

ie. restaurant name and what you ate.

Thanks!!!!

We are just back and kept detailed records of our expenses in our PDA, in part in order to try to figure out if we'd want to order Q&C vouchers again. The details are below (cut and pasted from the PDA). Most of the dining was my husband and I, but we also treated my castmember cousin to a number of meals. Sometimes we used 1 voucher per person and sometimes 1 voucher for 2 people. We enjoyed pretty much everything we ate and would say it was all either good or excellent. The salads in particular were very good.

Date: 9/24/2003
Amount: $22.50
Payment: Prepaid
Vendor: Pecos Bill
Details:
I got a salad, fries, lemonade, and piece of chocolate cream pie. Stu got chicken wrap, fries, soda, and piece of chocolate cream pie. Bill came to $28.26, the vouchers saving us $5.76. Without vouchers, would have ordered: salad, 2 lrg sodas, wrap, probably split a piece of pie (were starving). Would have cost $19.45 W/O dessert, $23.16 with dessert. Saved $0.66 over what we would have ordered (but we got more food w/vouchers).

Date: 9/26/2003
Amount: $11.25
Vendor: Land Pavillion
Details:
Stu used voucher. Got chicken, ribs, corn on cob, slaw, coke, and turtle brownie. Came to $12.33, saving us $1.08. Would have ordered exact same thing without vouchers. I was not very hungry, so just paid cash for a salad.

Date: 9/27/2003
Amount: $22.50
Vendor: Tusker house
Details:
Stu had rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, large soda, and cheesecake. I had salad, fries, large lemonade, and cheesecake. Bill came to $29.64, saving us $7.14. Without vouchers, would have gotten salad, small lemonade, chicken, large soda, and split a piece of cheesecake for a total of $24.02 (incl. Tax).

Date: 9/29/2003
Amount: $33.75
Vendor: Sand Trap Bar and Grill
Details:
I had cobb salad, cup of mushroom soup, iced tea, and chocolate cake. Linda got ruben sandwich, homemade chips, iced tea, tiramisu cake, and was told to order an appetizer as a side: she got onion straws (which we all split). Stu got a California club, homemade chips, soda, and cheesecake for dessert. Could have gotten appetizer as side, but we could not have eaten it, so decided to skip it. Meal came to $55.20. Linda left and additional $3 in tip. We saved $21.45 with the vouchers. Without vouchers, Stu and I would have gotten sandwich, salad, two teas, and 1 dessert, which would have come to around $34.15. We saved $11.65 over what we would have ordered. Didn't eat dessert or half of our meals. Took to Vero to have for dinner.

Date: 10/2/2003
Amount: $14.61
Vendor: Kringala og Bakeri
Details:
Used 1 voucher. Split ham and cheese sandwich, salad, and cinnamon roll. Stu got large soda with voucher and I paid for a separate latte ($3.16). Cost of voucher portion of meal was $14.02, saving $2.76. This was part of our "dining around World Showcase" plan. Planned to use 3 vouchers that day, but didn't get hungry again until dinner, so only used 1.

Date: 10/4/2003
Vendor: Lotus Blossom Cafe
Details:
Got Orange Chicken with steamed rice and an eggroll, side of fried rice, strawberry smoothie as beverage, and red bean ice cream for dessert. Stu and I split this meal as part of our "dining around World Showcase" plan. Came to $17.10. Saved $5.85 using the voucher.

Date: 9/26/2003
Amount: $35.75
Vendor: Beaches and Cream
Details:
I got burger, onion rings, cherry coke, and fudge mudslide. Linda got the same thing, except with a cheeseburger. Stu got the same thing, but a double cheeseburger and fries. Meal came to $57.40, left an additional $2 tip, Linda left $1. We saved $20.65 using the vouchers. Without vouchers, Stu and I would have ordered a single burger, a single cheeseburger, 2 cherry cokes, sub 1 order onion rings for fries, and split a brownie a la mode. We would have spent $27.75 plus tax ($29.55) and tip ($35.05). Still would have saved $12.55.

Date: 9/28/2003
Amount: $33.75
Vendor: Pepper Market
Details:
Took Linda to dinner. Stu had rotisserie chicken, fries, vegetables, carrot cake and tea. Stacey had grilled ribeye, baked potato, vegetables, apple pie a la mode, and lemonade. Linda had the same. Bill for Stu and I would have come to $44.50. For all three of us, total would have been $72.43. Saved $38.68 for all 3 of us. Saved $22 for Stu and I. Without vouchers, we probably wouldn't have gotten 2 desserts, so perhaps the bill would have come to around $39.

Date: 10/2/2003
Vendor: Yakitori House
Details:
Had shogun combo, salad, soda, and chestnut cake. Came to $17.64. Saved $6.39. Part of our "dining around World Showcase" plan. Stu and I split this meal for dinner.

If anyone has any questions, please ask. Hope these details help.

Beatnik

We have used them at:
Beaches and Cream at BC: 1st time, we were told we could get a milkshake for a drink and still have dessert so we each got hamburger, fries milkshake and chocolate cake to go. Way to much food! Good meal. 2nd time, we were told that if we wanted a milkshake, that would count as the dessert and we still had a beverage choice. We opted for regular beverage and brownie sundae for dessert. two can easily eat for one voucher.

El Pirata Y el Perico- near POC in MK- DH got combo platter of rice and taco stuff, side of chili, drink and dessert(which our son ate). Did go over the cost of voucher there (we pay 11.25 from connections) good deal.

Pecos Bill- I had huge taco salad, drink, chocolate cream pie and some side that I don't remember. this place and El Pirata share seating so you have the choice of either place.

We are going to try them at Tangerine Cafe in Morroco this time and also at Pepper Marker in CS resort(we aren't staying there but will stop on way back form AK to Swan)..I have heard others say it is a good deall with the vouchers.

Connears

If this helps:

At Yakitori House, Lotus Blossom Cafe, Pecos Bill, and Beaches and Cream, the server/cashier were very familiar with the vouchers and knew exactly what to do with them (Lotus Blossom even had a menu at the cashiers stand with pictures showing what we could and could not get in each category). At the Sand Trap Bar and Grill, our waitress seemed to feel confident that she knew how to handle the voucher, but then she did tell my husband and cousin to order appetizers as sides when their meal already came with sides, so I am not sure she wasn't a bit confused. At Kringala, the cashier was completely stumped by the voucher, resulting in much giggling and whispering in Norweigan amongst the staff as they tried to figure out what to do. It took a while to get it straightened out and we had some impatient people in line behind us. At Tusker House, the cashier was also perplexed by the voucher, but she figured things out quickly when I explained how they worked (by just pointing out what the voucher itself said). I was in a different line from my husband who used the voucher while dining at Sunshine Season in the Land Pavillion, so can't comment.

Beaches and Cream and the Sand Trap Bar and Grill are sit down restauarants, so the value there was especially good and it was nice to be waited on. The Sand Trap is only open for lunch (until 3, I think) but had very good food in HUGE portions. Desserts are not listed on their menu, but they have a nice selection. It is at the Bonnet Creek Golf Club, about halfway between Port Orleans and Fort Wilderness.

Side salads at Kringala and Yakitori were pretty large and rounded out our split meal very nicely. We had some weird desserts-- chestnut cake and red bean ice cream (at Lotus Blossom, despite there being more options on the menu, the only desserts available with the vouchers were red bean or ginger ice cream and fresh fruit cup). Both were very good-- the chestnut cake was delicious and tasted like an eclair, the red bean ice cream was very good and tasted somewhat like vanilla ice cream (but it was disconcerting to come across beans in your ice cream, which caused my husband to agree it tasted good, but not wqant to eat any more!).

The entree salads that I had were all very good to excellent, especially the Kit Carson Chicken Salad at Pecos Bill and the Land Salad at Sunshine Season Food Court.

Have fun and spend the cash you save on something else!

Beatnik

Thanks so much for all this info...especially on The Sand Trap...it will be a perfect lunch spot for an "Out of the parks"day...and a great use of out Q&C vouchers.

You did a SUPER job of keeping up with it all.
Thanks

Originally posted by beatnik

(at Lotus Blossom, despite there being more options on the menu, the only desserts available with the vouchers were red bean or ginger ice cream and fresh fruit cup).
Beatnik

Hi,
I've been reading about these vouchers but never came across the idea that you could not order anything on the menu (with the exception of the Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream).

Was Lotus Blossom an exception, or would we find that every restaurant (lunch vouchers, breakfast, and Q&C) would only allow us to order off a limited menu? That would make the vouchers less appealing, so I'd like to find out before trying to order them.

I think those are all the dessert choices period, voucher or not ( I just looked at the menu last night)

one caution about the vouchers ...the topic can get obsessive...last night I actually dreamed beachs was closed for rehab and I couldn't use my voucher!( yes, I am obviously cracking under the "strain"!):crazy: at least now I know I could substitute Sand Trap: :hyper:

We never came across any restrictions on the voucher use except the Lotus Blossom thing and of course the "Kitchen Sink."

According to the Lotus Blossom menu, desserts include Ice Cream, Fresh Fruit, Sweet Crispy Wonton Ribbons, Almond Cookies, and Fortune Cookies. We were also told that a Strawberry or Mango Smoothie could be used as either dessert or drink. We specifically asked if we could have the WonTon Ribbons and the fellow said "no" (very nicely). Since they had allowed the Strawberry Smoothie as our drink (which should be specifically excluded basedon the wording on the voucher), we didn't feel too bad about having the ice cream over the wonton ribbons.

The only other voucher restriction we encountered was at Peco Bill. It was very hot, the line for food was very long, we were very hungry, the cash register broke down, and we were on the verge of a meltdown by the time we ordered our food. We really wanted large drinks, but were told we could only have regular sized drinks (which turned out to be plenty big enough). We expressed a willingness to pay more for an "upgraded" drink, but the CM said he was unable to do so, given the button options he had on his cash register. He seemed hot and frazzled too (poor guy was wearing a long sleeve shirt, vest, and bolo-type tie in 90+ degree heat with 100% humidity), and genuinely seemed sorry he couldn't do the upgrade thing, so we didn't push very hard.

This was the first voucher we used and from then on, we just stated what type of drink we wanted without mentioning size. We were almost always given a large drink, which most of the time, I didn't finish because I wasn't that thirsty! Go figure.

My take on the vouchers is that each restauarant interprets them a bit differently, and what you actually are able to get will vary a bit based on the restaurant and castmember. We had the menus in our PDA (and a calculatator feature), so we could very quickly figure out if the voucher was a good deal or not, and we didn't even consider using them at places that did not look promising (like Toy Story Pizza Planet at MGM). If the voucher did not save money, we didn't use it. Although we have not done so, the vouchers seem easy to sell, as people would like to have them without dealing with some sort of membership. So if you buy more than you need, you can probably unload your extras if you decide not to use them.

Beatnik

Thank you everyone for your input. It is exactly what I was looking for and so very much appreciated!:Pinkbounc :wave:

Thanks for posting all of that, i have wondered about that for a while now. I do have one question.....How long did it take to receive the certificates once they were ordered?

Thanks!

Amee

Ours took about 5 days to arrive, and we got them through Hotwire Savings Club.

Beatnik

We joined Hotwire savings club on Sunday. Placed our order on Monday and received our certificates three days later on Thursday. They came from Omaha, NE and we live in WA State.

That's great to know. I just placed my order today and we leave next Friday. BTW, JJPounds we are from Seattle and are going to be at OKW at the same time you are!

Amee

Im not sure of there is a list at the top of this board but on the budget board there is a list of places to use your vouchers.
We used our Q&C vouchers at Pepper Market and it was a big savings. # of us had the steak (its $17.95 for the steak and 2 sides) plus add your drink and dessert and and we probably saved about $12 per person.
We also saved quite a bit at RFC using the Vacation Kingdom Vouchers. We had 2 ad and 1 ch but our server told us to order the childs meal from the main menu. We had 2 quesadilla & 1 fried cheese for appetizer, 2 surf and Turf and 1 full rack of mojo bones for the meal and 1 volcano for dessert. We still had one dessert coming and we were full so we gave it to a family at another table.

If I were ordering a burger/sandwich/wrap/chicken strips that came with fries, do most places consider that to be the side dish?

Thanks for all the great info on Q&C's! I appreciate the breakdown.

I have used the Connection vouchers before and enjoyed it. However, I noticed that FloridaOrlandoTickets now sells them!! I am definitely getting a few from them. Has anyone else bought from them??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter