• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

queue questions

memakwed

DIS Veteran
I've always gone to Disney world. I'm thinking of going to Disneyland for the first time with family and friends. I have MS and direct sun and heat are a real issue for me. When visiting Fla. we go in the winter months and the majority of queues are either inside or covered. What is the situation in both parks in California. This will be a main factor in if this trip is really something I can do. I'd like to know from your experience what rides have queues in the sun and what queues are inside. Any help would be great.

I think most of Fantasy land has its lines in the sun. Dumbo, story book, casey jr, tea cups. The dark rides have some cover and aren't too bad such as Toad and Pan. Indy, Space, Star Tours, are all inside but Matterhorn and Big Thunder (not sure since refurb) are both outside. I guess its about 50/50. Anyone else?

I've always gone to Disney world. I'm thinking of going to Disneyland for the first time with family and friends. I have MS and direct sun and heat are a real issue for me. When visiting Fla. we go in the winter months and the majority of queues are either inside or covered. What is the situation in both parks in California. This will be a main factor in if this trip is really something I can do. I'd like to know from your experience what rides have queues in the sun and what queues are inside. Any help would be great.

I did well until the last day of our trip the first of the month. The days were over cast and not too hot. On the last day the sun was out first thing and it got HOT fast. By 11am I was melting. I'll take a fan on our next trip.

The ride lines are a toss up. Depending on the length of the line, you may be in the shade or not.

Geemo

For the most part, the DLR queues are either outdoors or a mixture of indoor/outdoor. Some of the outdoor queues are covered, but not inside a building. It's probably easier to try and get a list of the rides where all (or most all of the queue) is inside a building because as I think about it, I can only think of a handful of rides where the queue is indoors (Roger Rabbit, Muppets (just because it never has a line)). The issue that a lot of rides have queues that go indoors at some point, but if the lines are long enough, part of the queue will be outside.

These are the ones where the majority of the queue (regardless of length) is located outside and may not have covering. Some will have shade, but portions will not be shaded:
Haunted Mansion - no reliable shade that I can think of.
Winnie the Pooh - some of this queue is shaded by the railroad track, but a good portion will not have shade, especially near the loading area.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - some of this queue might be shaded by the track and mountain itself. Still portions will be in the sun.
It's a Small World - very little shade, but you might have better luck if you pick the inside line. After the split, neither line is shaded very much.
Dumbo - no shade that I can think of.
Casey Jr. - no shade that I can think of.
Tea Cups - no shade that I can think of, unless the sun angle and nearby building provides some.
Storybook Canal - no shade that I can think of.
Alice - the building provides some shade, as does the trees. So this one might be okay in terms of sun.
Matterhorn - no shade that I can think of until the very end of the line.
Astro Orbitor - no shade that I can think of unless sun angle and buildings help.

These rides have some of the queue that is inside a building or are at least located in an open-air building, but some of the queue is still outside (i.e., not covered):
Pirate - most of the queue is outside but seems like there is a better chance of shade because of the tree, a little in inside.
Autopia - some is covered, but not inside a building.
Buzz Lightyear - first part of the queue is outside with limited shade (the part by Pixie Hollow is shaded, the part in front of the ride is not), then it goes inside.
Indy - standby has more that is outside but a good portion is shaded, FP will bypass most of it.
Splash - the first part is outside, then it goes into the building/mountain.
Jungle Cruise - downstairs is covered, some of the upstairs is exposed.
Space Mtn - the FP line is mostly indoors or covered, but parts of the standby line are not covered or shaded.
Peter Pan - part of the line is outdoors/unshaded, then it goes into the open-aired building.
Mr. Toad/Snow White/Pinocchio - if the line is long enough, some will be outside, the rest is at least covered (open aired building).

I'm having a harder time picturing the queues in DCA, but these are the ones that come to mind:
Soarin' - part of the standby line is outdoors and then it goes inside a building.
Little Mermaid - mostly all outside, but unless the line is super long, most of it is shaded.
TSM - some is shaded, but it depends on placement of the umbrellas.
RSR - open air queue, but standby is mostly covered. Some of the queue is not shaded, but the building helps with shade for the single rider and FP lines.

I can't remember what the queues look like for the other rides at this point. Overall, I think you'll find that most all queues have a least a portion (patchy) that is exposed to the sun.

Most of the queues are at least partially or fully outside. I cant think of any that are majority indoors with afternoon wait times. Typically the weather isnt as hot as WDW but there can be very hot days due to Santa Ana winds

The only one with an "indoor" line that I can think of is Roger Rabbit and that mostly because the inside part of the queue is so long.

Some of the less popular shows might not need their outdoor queue area (i.e., the queue could be outside, but the don't tend to fill up). I've not see the Muppets or Mr. Lincoln have to queue outdoors in a very long while.

In terms of the weather, I don't actually think Disneyland and Disney World are all that different in terms of average summer air temperatures (WDW does has higher average temperatures), but it's the humidity in WDW that makes it tough. I can tolerate the 90 degree weather, but the 98% humidity does me in!

If you go May/June, it's a little cooler. Will you have a wheelchair or ECV? If so, you won't have long waits at DL. DCA, however, you wait in the "regular" queues.

You should look into getting a DAS card (I think that'swhat the GAC is called.) Then you can get a return time and wait wherever you like.

I have MS too, and have been going to DL a few times a year for the last few years. Like you, I have heat intolerance, and waiting in the sun just about kills me. In fact, it may have knocked me on my butt a time or two when I was there last summer!

Initially, I'd recommend considering going in late winter/early spring, but *not* during Spring Break time or grad nights! The weather is usually pretty fair around this time. This year, BFF and I went at the end of Jan, and it was low 60s every day. I was able to wear long-sleeved t-shirts during the day, and a coat at night, and was able to be warm enough for comfort, but not so warm as to overheat myself.

Do you use a wheelchair? If not (or if so!), I'd consider getting an ECV. This is my plan for any future summer-time trip. That way I'm not overheating myself just getting from place to place. Asking around on the DISabilities board, it was suggested I look into a cooling vest as well, and the misting fans (already bought this!), and those neck-scarves that can be filled with cold water and put on the back of the neck. Other ideas we're employing this time include being there for rope-drop to ride as much as we can early; pool breaks in the afternoon as well as watching shows; and then making use of the late hours for more rides.

I used to work for the MS Society in Chicago, so I want to ask what kind of hot exacerbates your MS? Many queues in Anaheim are outdoors, some in direct sun. But there are also many more shade opportunities in the Anaheim parks (especially in DL) that don't exist at WDW, and the heat feels very different. There's little humidity in Anaheim so unlike in Orlando there's no cloying sweatiness, and as soon as you're in the shade, you feel much cooler. At night, temperatures cool down significantly, also unlike Orlando. So if humidity is part of what exacerbates your symptoms, you won't need to worry as much at DLR.

DH also hs MS. He uses an ECV (we own ours, but I would suggest renting offsite so you have it all the time). We stay offsite, but within close walking distance (so he can come/go as he needs to. He tires easily, even with the ECV). I suggest avoiding July/Aug/Sep/Oct - I believe those are the warmest months. He also has one of those little cooling towel things, which can help a bit.

Am I correct in thinking that this might be the perfect situation for the new-ish DAS card? I can't remember what it stands for, but it's the card you get by explaining your medical needs at City Hall upon entrance and at each ride the Cast Member will estimate the length of the line and tell you when to come back? So the OP can wait in the shade...

(Love those run-on sentences...)

Thoughts from others? Seems like a perfect solution to me.

Have fun at Disneyland!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter