Questions

pavil

I want to be an Imagineer
I am going with a group that has one individual who suffered an accident and broke both legs including ankles. The Rehabiltation has gone well but and they can walk but her range of motion in the ankles is limited due to pins left in the leg. My questions are
Will there be a way of them still going on all the rides?

Her stamina will be limited when it comes to standing still for long periods in lines and she really don't use a W/C or cane or Crutches, will they be able to get quicker access to rides due to their condition and will she need to bring doctors notes to prove their condition?

I say this because I know she will want to keep pace with the rest of us, won't use a chair or device, and I am concerned that she will not be able to do this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi, Pavil!

WDW will consider the problems that your friend has to be stamina related and will suggest that she rent a wheelchair or ECV. There is no pass that gives front of the line access to anyone that I know of. The GAC (Guest Assistance Card) is used to alert CM's to invisible disabilities such as sun sensitivity so that people can wait out of the line in a shaded place in the very few lines that aren't shaded.

At the top of the forum is an FAQ with all of the information about renting wheelchairs and ECV's. I really think that this would be the best choice for your friend as they will be able to enjoy the parks with everyone else without being in as much pain or slowing anyone down.

Good luck!

Thanks, we had a similar question. My question which seems to go with this, and I don't know if I should post it somewhere else is, if my DH who will need a wheelchair this trip for the long walks, is able to do some line waiting, and short distance walking, is in the wheelchair, and he decides he wants to wait in line w/o it, do you leave it with the strollers, or is there somewhere else to "park" them?

She should be able to get a GAC, but it will not give front of the line access. She'll be able to wait in a seperate area with seating, until the rest of th group makes it through the line, and you'll all ride together.

In all honestly, it sounds like she'll really need a wheelchair or ECV, at WDW you do miles of walking every day, and there's no way she'll be able to "keep up" with your decription.

Not all queues have seating in the GAC waiting area either as I think about it. Something else to consider.

Anne

tubachick said:
Thanks, we had a similar question. My question which seems to go with this, and I don't know if I should post it somewhere else is, if my DH who will need a wheelchair this trip for the long walks, is able to do some line waiting, and short distance walking, is in the wheelchair, and he decides he wants to wait in line w/o it, do you leave it with the strollers, or is there somewhere else to "park" them?
Your question goes well with this.
If your DH wants to wait in line with you without the wheelchair, he can park the wheelchair with the strollers.
But, beware, some lines include a lot of walking - for example, Bug's Life includes a sort of "scenic route" around the Tree of Life that is quite long. Pirates in another "maze" that might look like it has a short wait, but it's a long way in. With some rides/attractions, the exit is not very close to the entrance, so he might have a walk back to the wheelchair (or he could sit/stand while someone else goes to get it).
Before leaving his wheelchair and getting into any lines, he would be wise to ask the CM how long the actual walk is. Also a few (not many) queues include stairs. Some include moving walkways for boarding. If he will have any problems with these things, he should ask about them before getting into line.

pavil said:
I am going with a group that has one individual who suffered an accident and broke both legs including ankles. The Rehabiltation has gone well but and they can walk but her range of motion in the ankles is limited due to pins left in the leg. My questions are
Will there be a way of them still going on all the rides?
She may or may not be able to get a GAC (depending on the CM), but as the others mentioned, this is more an endurance concern and considering an ecv would be a wise choice. As ducklite mentioned, not all rides/attractions have a place to sit and wait. For some that do, the seating is open to anyone, so it might already be full when she gets there.
Another thing to think about is how her limited range of motion might affect her ability to step on to some of the rides, especially those with moving walkways.
Here's a link to a past disABILITIES Board thread about boarding rides. (There is a link to this same thread in the disABILITIES FAQs).

SueM in MN said:
Your question goes well with this.
If your DH wants to wait in line with you without the wheelchair, he can park the wheelchair with the strollers.
But, beware, some lines include a lot of walking - for example, Bug's Life includes a sort of "scenic route" around the Tree of Life that is quite long. Pirates in another "maze" that might look like it has a short wait, but it's a long way in. With some rides/attractions, the exit is not very close to the entrance, so he might have a walk back to the wheelchair (or he could sit/stand while someone else goes to get it).
Before leaving his wheelchair and getting into any lines, he would be wise to ask the CM how long the actual walk is. Also a few (not many) queues include stairs. Some include moving walkways for boarding. If he will have any problems with these things, he should ask about them before getting into line.

Thanks this is exactly what we were wondering. I think he will stay seated, unless it is a short walk. We will be there all week, and I don't want him or I to be in any pain or discomfort.

Thank You for the replies, It looks like we will try to convince her of the need to use some sort of assistance. Even if they have a place where she can wait till we get to the ride, that would be great. One question with that, will someone or multiple people be able to wait with her till the rest of the party arrives at the ride after waiting in line? We are not looking to get cuts in line just a way for her ankles to hold out longer. It would be nice if a couple of our party (9 total in party) could be with her as she waits for us to show up at the end of the line. We don't want to punish her for having an accident by waiting in solitary confinement! LOL . Thanks for all the info and all of you have a blessed time on your vacations.

pavil said:
One question with that, will someone or multiple people be able to wait with her till the rest of the party arrives at the ride after waiting in line?
If they do have a place to wait (and not all attractions do), they won't make her wait alone. They won't allow a whole party of 9, but one or 2 people will be able to wait with her.
For shows, there is usually a large waiting room that you go into to wait until you are "admitted" to the preshow or show area. Those waiting rooms do usually have benches, but there may not be many benches and they are "up for grabs" for whoever comes into the room. They are not reserved in any way for people with special needs. In those show waiting areas, you will all be able to wait together.
Some of the rides load in "batches" - like Haunted Mansion or the Great Movie Ride lets in a group of people all at once into the preshow room and after the preshow ends, the preshow group is ushered into another area where you actaully get boarded onto the ride. Those kinds of rides sometimes have some benches in the queue area because you may be standing for a long time without moving. The preshow areas usually don't have any benches and may require standing for 3-6 minutes during the preshow.
The rides that continually load don't often have any place to sit because the lines are pretty much constantly moving at a slow walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter