Questions regarding legally blind guest

arielmomma

DIS Veteran
Good morning! My family will be traveling to WDW in September to celebrate my son's high school graduation. My brother and sister-in-law will be joining us. It will be their 1st trip (and likely their only). SIL is legally blind. She isn't fully blind. Here at home, she gets around fine without any assistance beyond her glasses. However, WDW will be a new (and much more crowded) experience. She isn't concerned about generally getting around. We were talking about that this weekend have have come up with some strategies and are all willing to help (though we are open to any tips anyone here might have from personal experience!). I was curious, however, about some of the shows, such as FOTLK and the others. I've read that she can ask for devices that will tell her what is happening, but she could actually see it if she were close enough. She has binoculars that she carries with her, but she's been having some issues lately that have made using them less effective. I was curious, would the CMs accommodate her by letting her sit in the front of shows in the areas reserved for those with disabilities, or are those areas solely reserved for individuals using wheelchairs/ECVS? Are there any accommodations available to her that we should know about? She is staying at ASMu Resort. This is probably a one and done experience for them and I want it to be as magical as possible! Thank you for your help.

I have been able to sit in the front of the FOTLK and I do not use any mobility device I just explained my needs to the CM and they were able to accommodate me.

May I suggest that you contact Disney Disability Services at 407-560-2547. They will be more than happy to answer your questions or concerns. They will be able to helping way they can. You can call as many times as necessary.

If you'd like specific seating (front/back, center/side, etc.) just tell the CMs at that attraction.

If you may have difficulty accessing queues, you can speak to Guest Relations.

Here is a link to the WDW page for Guests with Visual Disabilities. They do have audio descriptive devices. I haven't heard much feedback (good or bad) about them so I don't have any suggestions for you there.

Enjoy your vacation!

It is up to the individual CM at the attraction whether to allow her to sit where she needs to be able to see or not; there is no one guaranteed standard procedure. It has been my experience that some CM's are more flexible and understanding than others.

Although I don't use a white cane in everyday life, it's been recommended that I bring what's known as a "visibility cane" to WDW. And it makes sense to me; what it does is transform your invisible disability into a visible one, which seems to be easier for cast members to understand.

Something else for show if you can go when it is not so busy you might find they are more willing to accommodate her. Although you might be fine anytime

I travel with my Mom who has Macular Degeneration. She has some vision but is considered to be legally blind. Before my Mom used a rollator/walker, I would gone up to a CM at the entrance and explain my Mom's situation about needing to be close to the front of a show to be able to see the show. Most times the CM accommodated our request. There were some times, when a CM has denied my request but I carry a card that you can put up to your eye to see what a person with Macular Degeneration can (and cannot see) and I bring out the card and ask them to put it up to their eye to understand my request. Once I have done this, they usually will accommodate our request. I would also suggest that she bring her "visibility" cane with her (although I have found that many people at WDW have no idea what it is)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter