• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions re: DL/DCA Size and Ride Questions

ErinsMommy

She believed she could, so she did
I've heard and read many times that both DL and DCA are very small compared to MK in WDW. How small are we talking about though? (And by small, I don't mean how many rides are in each park, more wondering about the walking distance from beginning to end of each park.)

Also are there any rides that go upside down (like Rock N' Roll Coaster in WDW) or give that G-Force feel like the backwards part of Expedition Everest or the more intense version of Mission Space? DD wants to try all the rides but those are ones at WDW she or I didn't fair so well on, so we want to avoid them.

Lastly, which park would you start your vacation doing? We're set to arrive around 11:00 a.m. at DLH on Friday 8/26 (flight lands at 9:44 a.m. in SNA so figuring about an hour by taxi to hotel?)

TIA!

The best comparison people give is the resort is that Disneyland and DCA combined are a little smaller than the size of Epcot. You can walk from the back of Disneyland to the back of DCA in about 15-20 minutes.

DCA has one rollercoaster with an inversion, incredicoaster, and it’s a standard loop. We do not have any rides with track portions that go backwards or that have the gravitron motion of mission space.

As a WDW regular, you will be so pleased by the size of DLR. My sister once clocked her steps from WDW Haunted Mansion to the busses, and when we were there in September did the same from Splash in DL to CarsLand in DCA and I believe they were pretty much on par. Like PP said, Epcot is a great comparison.

This December my 2 eldest boys and I booked it after fireworks in Galaxy’s Edge (furthest part in the park) all the way to Pixar Pier (pretty much the furthest in DCA) in 12 minutes (I timed it as we wanted to get there before park close) to ride the Incredicoaster back to back. No way I would have been able to do that at WDW.

As PP said, Incredicoaster has a standard loop.

EDIT: Before park hopping was restricted to after 1pm I routinely had friends who would crisscross several times a day.

Always start at Disneyland because that's what started all of this. Yes, you might not get as many rides in going near noon but it's so much more of a wonderful start to your vacation than California Adventure.

I haven't been to DLR since Galaxy's Edge was added but I didn't feel the need to break up Disneyland into two parts spread over two days like I felt Magic Kingdom needed. It's infinitely more walkable than Magic Kingdom. The person above who compared the two parks to Epcot is pretty spot on.

Guardians ride has the big drops like Tower of Terror. Granted, one is meant to be fun, the other is meant to be scary.

Ah my daughter loves TOT and I'm the only one other than her that's willing to go along for the 'ride', so I guess Guardians is a must. :)

Also the parks are entered in an esplanade, one to the right and one to your left, with less than a size of a football field between the gates.

Thank you. We'll be staying at DLH, is one park closer than the other from there?

Thank you. We'll be staying at DLH, is one park closer than the other from there?
Not really. Tehcicnally you could board the monorail by the hotel and take it into Disneyland (it drops you in Tomorrowland) but it’s not a recommended wya to enter due to it sometimes being a time suck. You’ll walk through downtown Disney (about a 10 minute walk) and enter the esplanade. Gates for Disneyland will on your left and DCA on you right.

I grew up on a farm, so I compare land size from an acreage perspective.

DL (100) is smaller than MK (107) and DHS (135). DCA (72) is smaller that DL (100). DLA and DCA (172) is roughly half the size of EP (300).

I don't include AK in comparisons because it is garbonzo big and it is my understanding much of that has to do with the preserve area that guests do not walk through (i.e. Kilomanjaro Safari or Rafiki Planet Watch).

Epcot has always been a park my feet dread.
Well your feet can dread DL/CDA half as much as EP then, eh? Just a quick tip for foot care.

IF you take a mid-day break from the parks and go back to the hotel, do the following: (1) remove footwear and socks; (2) take a minute to rub your feet with a lotion. oil or powder; and then, (3) sit down next to the bed or against a wall and elevate your legs and feet vertically for 3-5 minutes and allow the toxins to release. It helps your feet bigly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter