• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions for those who have experience introducing cats? (old question) July Walnut health update!!!

Hi all!

Thought I would update in case anyone was wondering.

So Friday Walnut had a re-check of liver values. In the meantime he's been pooping every day! Soft, but that's okay. He's eating, not in his normal spot, but he will eat all of what's in front of him under duress. He eats dry food happily on his own. He just doesn't seem to like the novel protein diet of canned rabbit.
:(

Soooooo, just got an email from vet (emails us after 5 on Saturday, nice!) and liver values are almost back to normal!!! We can discontinue the antibiotics on Tuesday, but will still be on prednisolone and a couple liver meds.

He's still way more subdued, but she thinks once we stop antibiotics he will start to become his normal, playful self.

So not out of woods yet, but we can certainly see the sunlight!!!

Thanks all! Here's a pic of Mr. Handsome giving some post-Valentine's Day love... ❤ ❤ ❤

Resized_IMG_20200214_161316_430.jpeg

Hi everyone!

Walnut had another 2 week check up, just thought I'd pass along the news.

His liver values are back to normal!!! We are so happy!!!

He is pooping great! :D He is eating well. He doesn't love the pate but he eats it. He's put on weight though, most likely due to prednisolone, so we need to start a slow diet.

Slightly disheartened because they want to keep him on current dose of prednisolone for another 1.5 months before they start weaning. And he needs to be on ursodiol (liver med) for long haul. I didn't think he'd need to be on meds for rest of life as he's only 5. :( I didn't ask if he can live a normal lifespan as I kind of don't want to know...
But, we take what we can get. He's currently sleeping next to me on the couch and all is well.

We also celebrated his 5th Birthday a couple weeks ago! ❤ ❤ ❤

Thanks for reading and enjoy some pics of Walnut!

bobo.jpegbobo 2.jpegbobo 3.jpeg

I've been taking in cats for over 40 years. I can give you so many different variables like, it depends on the age, it depends on the temperament etc. But for me, I don't worry about any of that. I live and die by the Feliway Multi cat plug ins. I have a small condo and I keep one upstairs and one downstairs. They plug into an outlet and release pheromones. If I had a bigger home I would have more. It really calms them down. I always know when the bottle is getting low because I hear them being more temperamental with each other. They are a bit pricey but they are worth every penny if you are a multi cat home.

Hi all!

First thing first, Walnut is doing good. He's sleeping at my feet at the moment. He goes in 5/1 for liver values check and hopefully if all good, we can start decreasing steroids. We also want to talk to vet about eventually getting him a playmate. He misses Cashew.

So just using this post to give love to our little Cashew. In a day it will be 6 months since we said goodbye to him.

I'm honestly shocked to say that I still have a moment everyday that I cry for him because I miss him so much. Like, bad. The worst thing we could have imagined happening actually happened. And I still can't believe it.

I don't know if its because of the unfairness of it all - we adopted them as siblings and he only lived to be 4. Taken away so early, watching him be sick. They were the biggest joy in our lives. We called them The Nutbrothers, Walnut and Cashew.
Cashew was smaller than Walnut, but had the biggest eyes. Walnut meows constanty, while Cashew rarely did, and when he did he sounded like a kitten! 😍

Anyways, it's really hard right now, missing him. I keep thinking the quarantine would be much more bearable with him around. And watching Walnut bark at the birds today alone just punches me in the gut. He's the same, but not the same? Ugh. Cashew left a giant hole in our lives.

I know I sound crazy. We've just had a really bad 11 months.

We love you and miss you every single day Cashew!!! :)

49490977_2342376865997122_1902269014290202624_n.jpg46633301_2316859391882203_1260408915229671424_o.jpgIMG_20181012_204758_909.jpgResized_20180824_145541_9597.jpeg29873145_2147735022127975_6553856888418851981_o.jpg
20171115_215509.jpg20180624_200423.jpg

Last edited:
What a beautiful pair. So glad Walnut continues to do well and you are there for each other during the shutdown.

What a beautiful pair. So glad Walnut continues to do well and you are there for each other during the shutdown.

Thank you!!!

Walnut has been such a source of comedy and love during this! He is just the most awesome cat that ever existed. We are so lucky he's ours! 🥰

Love the pictures Farro, what a beautiful pair!
Hugs to you, I lost my cat many years ago, but remember the pain like it was yesterday. I hope it eases for you in time

Hi Everybody!

It's been a while but I do have an update with a question.

It's been about 6-7 months since this all began with Walnut. After his liver/constipation issues got better, we've been taking him in monthly for liver-rechecks. Then lowering the prednisolone (steroid) accordingly. He will be on ursidiol (liver med) for the rest of his life.

For the last month he has been on .25 mg every other day - once. He also gained weight, so they put him on a diet. So recheck yesterday - he lost 4 ounces (yay!) and his liver enzymes were perfect. They have been perfect since pretty much two weeks after he got sick.

Vet gave us two options - keep him on low dose of pred and recheck in six months or take him off pred altogether and recheck one month. I emailed her some questions, but while waiting for her to get back to us, what would you do?

We want him off the pred, obviously that is best. But I'm also nervous he would relapse or something. We still don't really know what the heck happened all those months ago, seemed like pancreatitis, then fine, then constipated from food change, stopped eating, liver disease...no one knows.
I did ask vet if we could put intestinal lymphoma out of our minds since second ultrasound was clear (in January) and he has only gotten better these last months. I hope so.

He did have two hairballs over past couple months, but it's so hot here and his hair has all grown back, so he's cleaning and shedding like crazy. We are brushing and give hairball paste a couple times a week. He stopped hairballs completely when they shaved his belly for the ultrasound, before he was on any meds, so I know it's not medication controlling that, I just think he has so much hair again!!!

Would you take a chance and take him off? Or be cautious and keep on low dose for six more months just to be sure nothing comes back?

Here's Walnut!

100088612_2753010034933801_6280045169542692864_o.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter