questions about traveling with service dog to British Isles regions.

muffyn

"hmmm*
family member with us traveling to UK, scotland , Ireland next year with a service dog on a cruise. does anyone have a clue what to expect?
need to know if it is even worth it. what are the rules in these countries about going about with a service dog. In the U.S. they have ADA laws where the dogs are permitted in stores/restaurants/taxis /hotels/ rental homes.
would like to know if they have same rules or are blocked from any of these, would like to site-see , but if cant go anywhere with the dog,,,,
have traveled to other countries with the dog,but not UK area.

I’m confused, are you traveling in the UK (per your post) or Baltic countries per your title)? UK is easier than most Baltic countries (though I‘ve not been to them all).
I’d also suggest the DISabilities forum for your question.
EEPS.. sorry my head was somewhere else. yes it is British Isles
I thought I would try here 1st as i thought someone living in one of those countries would have knowledge on this

With regards to the cruise portion of your trip, I suggest contacting the cruiseline. My understanding is it can be quite a lengthy and involved process to get approval for the service animal to cruise, requiring approvals from each country in which you will port.

Hopefully someone from the UK, Scotland and/or Ireland will post about service animals in those countries.

I believe that dogs must be quarantined before entering Britain to rule-out rabies.

https://www.gov.uk/bring-pet-to-great-britain

If your family member doesn’t already have a vet that can assist with the international documents, they should find one ASAP. Service dogs can travel in the UK similar to the US, but require documentation and testing. You’ll also need to check with the airline you’re using for their requirements, and the cruise line will have requirements of their own.

I believe that dogs must be quarantined before entering Britain to rule-out rabies.
That is true in many places for pets. Usually a service animal -- often referred to as an "assistance dog" in the UK -- will go through advanced approvals before traveling in order to avoid quarantine since the animal is considered a piece of medical equipment needed for everyday life.

thank you all for your responses. we do know the travel stuff about the dogs, taking it on cruises ,airlines the many forms to fill out vet documents and stuff. Been doing this for many years.
I was hoping for some more personal experiences of traveling in the British Isles as to taking the dog into shops/tours/hotels & such.

thank you all for your responses. we do know the travel stuff about the dogs, taking it on cruises ,airlines the many forms to fill out vet documents and stuff. Been doing this for many years.
I was hoping for some more personal experiences of traveling in the British Isles as to taking the dog into shops/tours/hotels & such.
The link I provided above goes into the legalities of taking an assistant dog into shops etc.
I'm British and I'll be honest its rare ( where I live at least) to see a dog in a shop. Don't think I've ever seen one in a restaurant. In seaside towns I've seen dogs in cafe's that say they are dog friendly.
Some beaches in the UK do not allow dogs on them during the summer months. You would need to check if you were wanting to visit a particular place.

I'm sorry I don't know about hotels as we don't holiday in this country, only Florida lol!

You will find some ignorant people who don’t know the law, but as long as you have papers to demonstrate that the dog is an assistance dog, you should be fine. Personally, I would ensure that the dog has a clearly marked harness, make hotels, restaurants etc aware in advance that your party will be accompanied by an assistance dog and travel by black cabs in London , rather than ride shares. Also, if you are planning to travel by tube, please ensure that the dog is trained to walk on and off escalators safely, or carry it on escalators or take the stairs.
Do you know exactly where you will be visiting?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter