Questions about solo trip to Disneyland/California Adventure

eco-muse

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Disneyland forum, but since it's questions about a solo trip, I figured here would be best.

I've never been to Disneyland before.
So, I'm wondering: how long would it take to do a solo trip to Disneyland/California Adventure?

Here's some bits of info:
  • I've been to Disney World seven times, and can get the 4 main parks done in about 3 days (for me, Epcot and Hollywood Studios are both 1/2 day parks).
  • I'm not interested in anything Marvel or Star Wars, so I don't need to do any of that stuff.
  • My main interest is the rides, but I'd also like to have some other experiences (ex. parade/cavalcade, fireworks, character meets, etc.).
  • I'm not an early morning person (i.e., I'm not awake for "rope drop"), but I'd definitely be in the park before noon.
  • I'd like to do at least one table meal per day (likely lunch or dinner). I don't have any particular restaurants in mind because I haven't researched them, yet.
  • Time of year would be in the fall (possibly including the Halloween party/Oogie Boogie Bash thing).
Also, what are the transportation options for getting to the park hotels?
I don't drive, so I would need some method of airport-to-park transportation. My understanding is they don't have a Magical Express service out there, but is there some bus/shuttle service available, or is it all taxi/uber?

:thanks:

Ive been doing solo Disneyland California trips for years, this is my last solo trip report from June 2019. It was before Covid, so some info is out of date, but it will give you a good idea of a solo trip.

You should also read this recent thread Disneyland Insights For Disneyworld Vets

This is a recent solo trip report 14th and 15 July 2021

So, I'm wondering: how long would it take to do a solo trip to Disneyland/California Adventure?

I usually do 3 day 1 park trips. The max days you can for a multi ticket is 5 days. Many people recommend park hoppers as the two parks are only separated by an football field size esplanade, but I prefer not to park hop. A 5 day park hopper will give a very relaxed trip, where you can do the parks multiple days and you dont have to do open to close. A 4 day park hopper / 1 park per day would almost be the same.

Basically it depends on your touring style, if you do open to close, go go go or like a more relaxed trip.

Also, what are the transportation options for getting to the park hotels?
I don't drive, so I would need some method of airport-to-park transportation. My understanding is they don't have a Magical Express service out there, but is there some bus/shuttle service available, or is it all taxi/uber?

Transportation from the airports to Anaheim / Disneyland has changed a lot since Covid. Some threads on the Disneyland section you should read

Car Service From Disneyland To LAX

Rideshare To / From The Parks These Days

Longbeach Airport To Disneyland Resort

Best Transport Options From SNA to Disneyland

I usually use SuperShuttle to get to the hotel from the airport (LAX). I feel it is the most reliable and the cheapest option when picking shared ride.
If it is your first visit I would recommend 3 days. That way you can spend one day at each park and the third visiting favourites. Otherwise I usually do it in two days. One at each park, or if park hopping, morning at Disneyland and evening at California Adventure and the other way the second day. That way I get to experience the night time show for each.

Dining options depends on taste. But for me Blue Bayou Restaurant inside PotC is a must for the experience. Also breakfast/brunch at carnation café on main Street.

Two full days with a parkhopper is enough. There are lots of people who regularly visit solo. So, I would recommend posting in the DL forum. You will get a lot more responses and information.

For table service I recommend:
Blue Bayou - for the ambience
Carthay Circle - if the restaurant is fully operating again. At this time, it's open for a very limited menu and the reviews are not good.
Carnation Cafe - it's the classic that has been around for decades.

There are very good counter service options in both parks, but especially in DCA. It's one of the reasons why I like a parkhopper. You can spend the majority of the day in DL and go get a peaceful meal and drinks in DCA and then go back to DL.

While you don't care to visit Marvel area, I do recommend the Guardians of the Galaxy ride if you like Tower of Terror. I was one of the die hard Tower of Terror fans who was very sad by the loss of the ride and was pleasantly surprised by the Guardians version. The Guardians ride is my favorite ride by a huge margin.

I would agree with the above with one exception. I'd make it, and did when I went solo in 2005, a three day park hopper. When I went California Adventure was a disaster except for Soarin, but from what I understand it has fleshed out a lot more now.

I flew into Long Beach Airport and rented a car because I wanted to look around a bit. So my hotel was a Red Roof Inn (Disney affiliated) walking distance from Disneyland but spent more time in the area to visit Universal and generally do the tourist thing.

It's like you read my mind! I've been thinking about an early October solo DL trip - this was all super helpful!

I've flown out for a solo trip before and it was pretty easy. I'd suggest at least 3 days for the parks so you can have a full day at each and then go back and hit what you missed or your favorites on your last day. I prepaid and took a shuttle from LAX for about $35 to my hotel and stayed off property for FAR less money and just walked around the corner and into the gates and felt perfectly safe because that's what everyone else around me was doing. I ate at the Carnation Cafe in Disneyland and it was really good! Of course you gotta try Blue Bayou. The dining there isn't as "must do" as it is at WDW but Blue Bayou is just so neatly themed and pretty. If they're running World of Color and Fantasmic! do those! You'll want to at least stroll through the Marvel and Star Wars areas just to see what it looks like and you'll have plenty of time to see it all as the DLR parks are much smaller than WDW. Think "quaint" and "storybook". Disneyland is my favorite park of all! Enjoy!

Also check out restaurants at Downtown Disney, just past the entrance to both parks. My favorite is Jazz Kitchen. There is also an Earl of Sandwich near Disneyland Hotel. I would take the Monorail if it's not crowded from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney and have my lunch there, then walk back to the Park via Downtown Disney to check out the yummy snacks (flavored popcorn, flavored churro, etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter