Questions about cruising on DVC points

FredS

DIS Veteran
Thinking about possibly using points for a winter cruise. I have a few questions: Is is more difficult to get reservations through Member Services, that is, if space is available through Disney or a TA is there any reason that MS might not be able to reserve a stateroom (do they get an allotment of rooms or ??) Does the $75 fee apply per stateroom or per person? Doesn't the point chart include insurance and transfers? What if we are driving and don't need transfers, do they make some adjustment for that?

Anything you weren't expecting, be it pleasant bonus or "hidden" charge or other negative effect of using points versus cash? And how messy does it get to use points for some members of the party but cash for others?

Thanks for any help. I realize that calling MS will be necessary at some point, but having some idea of the answer to these questions will help me refine my questions for MS. Thanks!!

i would rent points on the dvc/ rent trade board
and pay cash for whole cruise
insurance and transfers not included and the 75.00 is for the reservation not per person

if u rent points and get good deal on cruise u will come out way ahead and have some spending money....

not telling u what to do just what we would do

Points do NOT include transfers and insurance. You can buy travel insurance through DVC at VERY reasonable prices. The $75 is per reservation (regardless of number of staterooms! - we book three normally and it's a TOTAL of $75). We've never had a problem getting staterooms. The points "cost" do include port charges, taxes, gov't fees, so there are no "hidden" surprises! You just have to book at least one adult in each stateroom with points and the others can be cash - BUT you do have to pay the entire amount when booking. We've always used just points so that is all I know about the cash ressies. You will get various opinions on the "value" of using points vs. renting them -- just do what YOU want!

What about onboard credit when using points? Can you get (for the short time remaining) the Disney Club or other credits? Do you still get Castaway Club gifts?

Trying to factor in everything here.......thanks!

Let's see -

If you book with points, then no onboard credit (that's for folks paying with cash).

I don't know about any other offers (ie Disney Club), so maybe someone else can answer.

Yes, if you are a Castaway Club member, you'll get the gift. I believe that I read that it's currently a beach towel and two pins.

We've never rented our points, but we're getting ready to leave for a "points based" cruise.

Hope this helps!
Ginny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter