Questions about cruise from NY in November

jle323

Mouseketeer
Hi all!

We went on our first Disney Cruise last December in the Caribbean and fell in love with it. Normally we’re big WDW people, but I needed a little break from the increasing crowds and thought we’d try a cruise out. The whole family loved it.

There’s a 5 day cruise on the Magic from NY to San Juan in November. We don’t have a ton of extra money so I thought this might be a good one to quench my post Disney depression. Only 5 days, so that saves money; from New York (we’re in Mass) so no flight or hotel needed; and the week of Veteran’s day, so the kids only miss 4 days of school.

However, my husband has misgivings. He thinks 5 days isn’t long enough and will just be a tease. He also thinks it will be too cold in November to enjoy a cruise that starts in New York (we had a verandah on our last cruise, and we really enjoyed being on it). I felt like we spent most of the time indoors doing activities anyway and it won’t matter if it’s cold. We can always just get a room with an outdoor view and skip the verandah room.

I wanted to find out from others who have done a similar cruise. Did you enjoy it? Was it too short? Too cold? Thanks in advance!

Edited to add - I just realized this cruise isn’t round trip back to NY, so that won’t work. Thanks anyway!

Skip the veranda I don't think you'll miss it. You may miss the extra nights but if you are in need of a vacation five nights are better than none. We went in October out of New York and the pools were heated and my girls jumped right in. We enjoyed it very much. It will be breezy in the outdoor areas but just bring a sweater.

Haha just read the last line of your post about not being round trip. That's why these are so cheap as they are re-positing cruises. Check to see if you can get a good deal on airfare. You never know!

I booked a 4 night on the Dream so we could say we had been on all the Disney ships and I was told by my family "Never again, way too short". So, 7+ night cruises for us now!

Take the 5 day to Bermuda in October...It is round trip to NYC. Then you will have no airfare either way. Bermuda was nice and Balmy in October, we were in our swimsuits in the ocean both days and in the pool on our sea days! The only cold night was the day we left NYC and the morning we came back in! We loved this cruise and are thinking about doing it again this year!

Really a 5 night to PR. I guess it’s a repositioning cruise. Does it stop anywhere?

We sailed 3 times out of NY. Last October to Bermuda. It was great.

We also sailed to Canada. And a 2 night to Nowhere in June 2012. That was fun!

The only thing is the Atlantic in late fall is a little rocky. Sailing out of Florida is much smoother.

We sailed out of NYC on one of the coldest days of the winter Two years ago... pool areas were still pretty cold the next day but the rest of cruise was fine. Other people complained about how rough the seas were first day but we didn't notice a thing. You're from MA so your tolerance for cold is going to be a lot different than a lot of other people on the ship. If you can afford the veranda, get it... nice to have another area to relax and enjoy the sea without dealing with people.

Thanks for the responses! I was only interested in it when I thought it was round trip. Having to buy plane tickets doesn’t make it worth it for us. But thanks for the info - maybe some day in the future!

Take the 5 day to Bermuda in October...It is round trip to NYC. Then you will have no airfare either way. Bermuda was nice and Balmy in October, we were in our swimsuits in the ocean both days and in the pool on our sea days! The only cold night was the day we left NYC and the morning we came back in! We loved this cruise and are thinking about doing it again this year!
Doing this cruise to Bermuda in September; any tips?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter