Question

Jimdamedic

Mouseketeer
Our family is coming down to Disney. It includes 4 adults, including my BIL who has MS. Also 4 children 11-13. My question is about transportation. We are renting an electric scooter for him to get around with. If we rent a minivan, would that be big enough for all of us plus a scooter? The rental company says they fit 7 adults, and that should be enough room for 4 adults and 4 kids if there are enough seatbelts. Thanks for all your help.

I would check out what kind of mini-van, before I thought there would be 8 seatbelts. We had a Dodge, and it only had 7. Plus, unless it was an extended version, I can't see where there would also be room for an electric wheelchair.

I guess I don't know the right term. I mean the little electric three wheel scooters. He won't be needing a wheelchair. I read in another thread they break down into pieces.

Thanks

There would probably be room for that, but a lot of mini-vans don't have room for 8 passengers with seatbelts.

You may need a larger vehicle, such as an Excursion, to accommodate the group, scooter and souvenirs. It would certainly be more convenient to not have to dis-assemble the scooter several times a day. Are you transporting all the luggage to and from the airport? Perhaps two vehicles, a car and a van, is the answer.

If the rental company says it will seat 7 adults, it only has 7 seat belts. Most minivans only have 7 seats and 7 seat belts.
My DH, my BIL and another couple were at WDW over New Years. We had an Chrylser SUV that seated 8. It was very large, but the storage space behind the rear seat was not very large. It actually was quite a bit smaller than the space behind the rear seat of my Dodge Town and COunty minivan. We each had a normal size carry on bag and needed to use the rear storage space PLUS half of the back seat to get all our luggage in.

If you are renting the ecv when you get down there rather than bringing it from the airport with you, you might be OK since you won't have the suitcases in at the same time as the scooter. But, I think you would need to at least partially dis-assemble the ecv to get it into the vehicle. If nothing else, in order to be able to lift it in. SUVs are pretty high off the ground. Besides lifting the ecv in, it might be difficult for your ecv user to get into the high vehicle.

I have found a Chevy Astro through L & M rentals that is supposed to seat 8. We'll be renting the ecv once we get down there and I assume they deliver? I would really prefer two cars but no one else who's going is really comfortable driving in cities so I'm nominated. My only concern is that it will fit in the Astro. Thanks for all the help.

Jimdamedic said:
I have found a Chevy Astro through L & M rentals that is supposed to seat 8. We'll be renting the ecv once we get down there and I assume they deliver? I would really prefer two cars but no one else who's going is really comfortable driving in cities so I'm nominated. My only concern is that it will fit in the Astro. Thanks for all the help.
yes, the equipment companies that rent wheelchairs and ecvs do deliver.
Some of them have disassembly information on their websites so you can see the general instructions and sizes of the pieces before you go.
If you are staying at one of the WDW resorts, keep in mind that the buses, monorails and most of the boats are wheelchair/ecv accessible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter