question?

nlg65

Earning My Ears
I am taking my 9 year old son to Disney and we have a letter from the pediatrician stating he is considered a special needs child.
I haven't been to Disney since 1975! Where do I go to receive this special pass?

Edited by SueM in MN to add information from a double post by this poster:
Anyone ever get a GAC for ADD child?

I have a 9 yr. old son and we're going to Disney for the 1st time.
The 90 minute lines for rides would be torture for him. Has anyone ever gotten a GAC for a similar situation?

And? Not all special needs children need accommodations. If you do not a GAC exactly what do you need to make your visit easier. If you can't clearly explain to the castmember at Guest Services they can't really help you. A doctor's note is not needed.

My son has ADD and takes meds. Even with the meds, a 90 minute wait for him could be devastating. Is it a GAC that I would request at Guest Services?

First of all, it is a Guest Assistance Card , not a PASS.

One thing it will not allow you to do is bypass lines.

As Lisa said, the note does not mean anything. When you go to Guest Services they will basically ignore such a note and ask you what the needs are.

You have to state the requirements that are needed; these may include using a stroller as a wheelchair, need to stay out of the sun in long lines or viewing ares, special seqting needed for shows due to vision or hearing problems, etc.

The card is good for the person with the disability and up to five additional members of the party and is good at all four parks for the length of your stay.

If that is all he needs I would suggest you use Fastpass to shorten your wait times and go at a time when the crowds are low.
You can get a Guest Assitance Pass at Guest services but it will not get you front of the line priviledges. It is more for needs like waiting out of the sun or in an alternate location, or up front seating for visually impaired or hard of hearing.
90 minutes is frustrating to all of us and none wants to wait that long. We just decide our limits and forego that ride if the wait is that long.

As the others mentioned, a Guest Assistance Card is not meant to bypass lines or necessarily to even shorten the wait. What it is meant to do is provide conditions (such as a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun, etc) so that you can experience the ride/attraction with the least amount of stress.
You don't need a doctor's letter, but do need to be able to explain what your needs are.
Fastpass is available to anyone and does help to limit the wait in lines. You put your park ticket into the fastpass machine and a fastpass comes out with a time printed on it. At that time, you go back to the attraction, get in the fastpass line and your wait for boarding will generally be 10 minutes or less. You can send one person ahead to the fastpass machine; they can feed your whole party's tickets into the machine and get fastpasses.
Other ways to limit your wait include going to the parks early - even during busy times, you can often ride a lot of things in the first few hours after the parks open without long waits or using fastpass.
Also, look at the wait times for the standby lines before getting into line. Frequently, the waits are not as long as people expect, especially for rides that have fastpass since so many people are using fastpass. You will also find that some rides with long waits early in the morning are walk on later in the day. That's because people tend to go on the first ride they see - for example, Spaceship Earth at Epcot is frequently a 45 - 60 minute wait in the early morning, but by mid-afternoon, you can walk right on.
Each park has a "Status/Information Board" near the front of the park. The CMs there can be very helpful in deciding where to go and when for the shortest waits.

We recently got back from a visit (it was Spring break and very busy) with my nephew who is on medication for ADD. We did have a GAC for my DD who has multiple disabilities, but we used it only once or twice a day. And (or course) on the rides that she could not go on, we could use her GAC. My nephew did quite well. He had a few issues where he got bent out of shape and had meltdowns for rides/attractions he was not personally that interested in riding on. Interestingly, the ones that caused the most trouble were not the ones that had the longest wait - they were the ones he was personally least interested in.

I have researched more about the FastPass and I think that is the more appropriate way to go!
Thank you all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter