Question regarding extension for AP renewal

mousestruck

DIS Veteran
Our APs expired 2/28/20, allowing us to renew through 3/28. If I understand correctly, I can now renew through mid April - with window extended for as many days as park is closed. But AP will still expire 2/28/21, since park was closed after my AP actually expired. Is that correct?

I wasn’t planning to renew, since we don’t plan to return until October, but want to make sure I understand all of our options.

My grandson sent me a text of something (don't know where he got it-Disney website or if he received something on his MDE or email) but it said the AP would be extended for the length of the closing.

My grandson sent me a text of something (don't know where he got it-Disney website or if he received something on his MDE or email) but it said the AP would be extended for the length of the closing.

This is correct. But the OP already had their AP expire prior to the closing, they were inquiring about the renewal dates. So in theory they would be able to renew whenever the parks re-open, unless Disney changes renewals to be 1 year from the renewal date (to accommodate the closures) it may make more sense to get a new AP and pay full price. Yes it will cost more, but if you end up losing weeks (or potentially months) a renewal may not make financial sense.

I think at this point we will need to wait and see how long they are closed, and how they update/modify their policies to deal with this unprecedented closure.

Guess I’m out of luck. Wasn’t planning on renewing so I’ll have to buy a ticket now. Was trying to squeeze one last trip in on 03/29 but of course had to cancel. AP expires 04/07 and 16 days isn’t enough time to get a trip in. Bummer. $400 I wasn’t expecting to have to spend in my budget.

Guess I’m out of luck. Wasn’t planning on renewing so I’ll have to buy a ticket now. Was trying to squeeze one last trip in on 03/29 but of course had to cancel. AP expires 04/07 and 16 days isn’t enough time to get a trip in. Bummer. $400 I wasn’t expecting to have to spend in my budget.

I'm in the same boat. Mine will expire in mid April, but I can't go on my rescheduled trip until June. Wish they'd let AP holders who have a trip booked (at least on property trips, but really all trips since they can see FP bookings/who has APs) have that number of days to use on a trip by the end of the year. 😭

My question is a little different. We don't take the 15% renewal discount if it's going to be 2 months or longer until our next trip. So, ours expired after our early February trip and then I bought full price new Annual Passes so that I could book Fastpasses for our late April trip. I've now cancelled that April trip because I absolutely do not believe that this situation will resolve by late April. Our next trip is Christmas week. Even if things are normal by Christmas, I don't like having the money for 4 annual passes tied up until then. Is there any precedent for us getting a refund on those unactivated APs?

Wish they'd let AP holders who have a trip booked (at least on property trips, but really all trips since they can see FP bookings/who has APs) have that number of days to use on a trip by the end of the year. 😭
As yet (and as things are in a state of flux all the time right now) we don't know WHAT Disney will ultimately do.
Stay tuned.

I'm in the same boat. Mine will expire in mid April, but I can't go on my rescheduled trip until June. Wish they'd let AP holders who have a trip booked (at least on property trips, but really all trips since they can see FP bookings/who has APs) have that number of days to use on a trip by the end of the year. 😭
I would call and ask, but I would wait to call after we know *when* WDW will reopen. It could be closed 3 weeks or it could be closed much longer. Models show peaking in July, so passes could get extended for longer than 2-3 weeks. It may be that by the time they reopen and extended passes, your dates may be covered. Or not. But, no sense calling now since no one knows how long the passes will be extended.

At least you didn't get totally robbed. Ours were set to expire April 5 due to the cycling of Easter. We had to renew for our trip for April 11-18 in order to book FPs. We may or may not go again until Thanksgiving. Talk about getting totally robbed. We won't be able to do this trip unless we can get it in at Easter and that ain't looking promising at this point.

$2500 *POOF*

At least you didn't get totally robbed. Ours were set to expire April 5 due to the cycling of Easter. We had to renew for our trip for April 11-18 in order to book FPs. We may or may not go again until Thanksgiving. Talk about getting totally robbed. We won't be able to do this trip unless we can get it in at Easter and that ain't looking promising at this point.

$2500 *POOF*
Too early to know exactly what might or might not be offered for guests with unique ticket and AP situations.
(There are always some unique situations that fall into odd timings and can require some flexibility in regular rules.)
There were already (not well known or publicized) "exceptions and accommodations" for AP renewals for guests with APs that expired at incompatible times for making advance FP reservations.
We don't know exactly what Disney may decide to offer to guests whose APs timing clashes with the (as yet not fully known) closures of the park.
Stay tuned.

Too early to know exactly what might or might not be offered for guests with unique ticket and AP situations.
(There are always some unique situations that fall into odd timings and can require some flexibility in regular rules.)
There were already (not well known or publicized) "exceptions and accommodations" for AP renewals for guests with APs that expired at incompatible times for making advance FP reservations.
We don't know exactly what Disney may decide to offer to guests whose APs timing clashes with the (as yet not fully known) closures of the park.
Stay tuned.

And I certainly hope and believe that will be the case. But as it stands right now, that remains the state of where I am.

I bit the bullet and renewed in January , thinking I’d do trips in May and October. If I can’t go in May, October will be a mighty expensive trip! :(

Right now, it would seem the policy on AP's is focused on local guests rather than out of state guests who plans 2-3 trips a year. We're in the second category and extending most of my family's ap's won't help. I'm not going to get all up in arms about it right now. I'm fairly confident they will work with guests on a case by case basis. People are just going to have to be patient and see how this all shakes out.

we had a trip booked april 3-9th and our AP's expire April 11th, we upgraded our last Aprils ticket to AP's to cover this years trip, not happening... hope the date of renewal gets extended

Hopefully they work something out. Regardless I had to get a ticket now to pick fast passes for the rebooked trip so if by some chance my AP does get extended far enough I guess I’ll just call them to switch dates of ticket I just bought to my December trip

Hopefully they work something out. Regardless I had to get a ticket now to pick fast passes for the rebooked trip so if by some chance my AP does get extended far enough I guess I’ll just call them to switch dates of ticket I just bought to my December trip
And, you likely would be able to change the new ticket dates to December, yourself, via MDX.

not Sure why my ticket won’t do that on site but had to call last week to get them to change dates on ticket. Took forever cause they kept bouncing me around before they got me to someone in tickets who understood what I was asking them to do. Hoping it won’t be necessary again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter