Question regarding closed resale monthly dues

nob

Earning My Ears
We recently closed on a resale in late July. In our contract we stipulated we would start paying dues in 2024, since there were no points available for 2023. It was agreed upon and signed by sellers. Yesterday I received an email stating dues for 2 months would be taken out of my checking account on 8/15. Has anyone had this experience?
I guess I will start with DVD member accounting and see what they have to say. Hope it's just a clerical error. Hate to have to work backwards and see where the problem started. I guess that also means that a monthly debit will be happening for the rest of this year. And if they did not collect the dues from seller, I wonder how they go about doing so after closing.
Glad I got the email warning. Nothing is easy...

We recently closed on a resale in late July. In our contract we stipulated we would start paying dues in 2024, since there were no points available for 2023. It was agreed upon and signed by sellers. Yesterday I received an email stating dues for 2 months would be taken out of my checking account on 8/15. Has anyone had this experience?
I guess I will start with DVD member accounting and see what they have to say. Hope it's just a clerical error. Hate to have to work backwards and see where the problem started. I guess that also means that a monthly debit will be happening for the rest of this year. And if they did not collect the dues from seller, I wonder how they go about doing so after closing.
Glad I got the email warning. Nothing is easy...
That sounds like a mistake? Dues for 2023 had to be paid in full by someone at or before closing, that’s a DVC policy. I’d call.

Yeah gotta be an error all DVC dues have a due date by 1/15 and are consider late if paid after 2/15

However if you buy a new resort which is not open at the time of purchase then you pay prorated dues from either opening month or UY month, which ever comes the latest.

Reactions: nob
Thanks for the replies. I thought it would be on their end. Hope it's just a quick call.

We received a whole bunch of emails yesterday reminding us of monthly dues. It is not typical.

So, maybe it’s just crossed against the sale. Give membership accounting a call.

We bought our first resale contract we’ve been DVC direct since 2005. I have a question we paid the 2023 dues in our closing. In January do we start paying monthly for 2024 points? I haven’t really thought it through before… our use year is December do we actually pay dues all year until we get our 2024 points in December?

We bought our first resale contract we’ve been DVC direct since 2005. I have a question we paid the 2023 dues in our closing. In January do we start paying monthly for 2024 points? I haven’t really thought it through before… our use year is December do we actually pay dues all year until we get our 2024 points in December?
Dues are assessed and paid on a calendar year basis - no relation whatsoever to UY - because they’re for operations and maintenance of your home resort throughout that calendar year. So yes, in January the CY 2024 dues will be due, and you’ll have the option of paying them in one lump sum or setting up monthly payments.

When buying direct, you’d pay dues prorated from the date you sign the contract. For resales, who pays the calendar year dues is a matter of negotiation between seller and buyer.

Yesterday I received an email stating dues for 2 months would be taken out of my checking account on 8/15. Has anyone had this experience?
Was this your first DVC contract, or do you have others you already own? Also, since you said you "recently closed", did you already set up the account to auto pay dues? I ask because you also said the email stated that "dues for 2 months would be taken out of my checking account". If memory serves me, you have to add each contract individually for auto pay, and enter the bank info for each as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter