Question on the RotR Cast Members (Queue Spoilers)

Grim Grinning Ghostie

Keats Acolyte
Is there a way to way to indicate to the cast members working as members of the First Order in the Rise of the Resistance queue that you don't want to be part of the act?

If you wear the sunflower lanyard and the "please be patient" card to indicate you have Autism, will they leave you alone? I didn't understand their directions the last time I went with my mother and they yelled at me and I had try very hard not to cry. I know it's not real and it's their job to be rude but it hit very close to home since being called stupid for not understanding /overthinking basic instructions is a common experience for Autistic people.

I know I can't expect any special treatment and would never dream of making a cast member feel guilty for doing what they are trained to do, so I will gladly just pass this one over on visits to HS if the cast members don't know what the sunflower lanyards mean.

This post is not meant to disparage anyone, of course: they are amazing at their job and I'm sure they are very nice people. I just don't know if there's a way to avoid drawing their attention for the intimidation part since I tend to misunderstand things.

Thank you and I apologize in advance if I am posting too much or being obnoxious. I hope you all have a magical night.

Yeah, the experience is very much toned down since we first rode the ride after opening. I can certain understand the concern but I kinda miss how the old interactions were. Perhaps talk to a cast member before queing up to see what they might suggest.

I don’t think they would know what the sunflower lanyard means.

My son is AA and a huge Star Wars fan. He’s an adult now and a disability advocate. If a CM called him stupid he would feel the same way. Knowing him, he would educate the person on the spot or stop by guest services or a blue umbrella to suggest not calling guests stupid because of the insensitivity of saying that to someone with autism.

We have been on Rise many times and never encountered a bad cm interaction. The worse we’ve been called is rebel scum or other Star Wars movie jargon. The 501st are strict and don’t smile. That is to be expected.

My youngest is neurodivergent and does not like the interactions at all and the cast members get the hint and leave her alone. A couple of times (we're local so we go a lot) I've had to specifically-and kindly- tell them that she is scared and doesn't want to play- and they always leave her alone. I have had, more than once, a CM break character to tell her that it's ok and they are nice.

Even as a parent of neurodivergent kids I have honestly never heard of this sunflower thing so I'm guessing most cast members would have absolutely no idea what it is. They are in character, but they're also human beings. Leaving you alone is not breaking character and you can ask them to do so, or at least back off.

That said, I have never heard them call anyone stupid. That could have been a CM taking it too far.

My youngest is neurodivergent and does not like the interactions at all and the cast members get the hint and leave her alone. A couple of times (we're local so we go a lot) I've had to specifically-and kindly- tell them that she is scared and doesn't want to play- and they always leave her alone. I have had, more than once, a CM break character to tell her that it's ok and they are nice.

Even as a parent of neurodivergent kids I have honestly never heard of this sunflower thing so I'm guessing most cast members would have absolutely no idea what it is. They are in character, but they're also human beings. Leaving you alone is not breaking character and you can ask them to do so, or at least back off.

That said, I have never heard them call anyone stupid. That could have been a CM taking it too far.

Airlines use the sunflower lanyard as an identifier that the wearer has a hidden disability.

Last edited:

As PPs have noted, I don't think many people know what the sunshine lanyard means. I think a "please be patient" card and perhaps even a button stating "please be patient" might be helpful? Unfortunately, you can't control other people's behavior, so you never know what is going to come out of someone's mouth. I have a son with a language disability who has trouble processing language and we have been in situations where people confuse his processing speed with his intelligence which has been very hurtful, so I completely understand your concerns and wanting to avoid experiencing that. I'm sorry your last interaction on ROTR wasn't enjoyable and hope, if you try it again, it's a better experience for you.

DD did RoR once and will never do it again. The attitude/behaviors of the CMs triggered a full-blown panic attack for her. We had to leave the park that day. This was 3 years ago, I think. I was a little surprised that there wasn't some sort of warning posted (like they do for pregnant people, those with back issues or motion sickness, etc).

Is there a way to way to indicate to the cast members working as members of the First Order in the Rise of the Resistance queue that you don't want to be part of the act?

If you wear the sunflower lanyard and the "please be patient" card to indicate you have Autism, will they leave you alone? I didn't understand their directions the last time I went with my mother and they yelled at me and I had try very hard not to cry. I know it's not real and it's their job to be rude but it hit very close to home since being called stupid for not understanding /overthinking basic instructions is a common experience for Autistic people.

I know I can't expect any special treatment and would never dream of making a cast member feel guilty for doing what they are trained to do, so I will gladly just pass this one over on visits to HS if the cast members don't know what the sunflower lanyards mean.

This post is not meant to disparage anyone, of course: they are amazing at their job and I'm sure they are very nice people. I just don't know if there's a way to avoid drawing their attention for the intimidation part since I tend to misunderstand things.

Thank you and I apologize in advance if I am posting too much or being obnoxious. I hope you all have a magical night.
You're not alone or far out there. This is jarring for a lot of people (myself included - and I don't have autism - but also my oldest child, who does - though I was unprepared when I first rode it and the kids were not). I don't know exactly how to help because I didn't know to expect it when it happened to me. So, I'd hate to suggest something and be wrong - I'll stand back in case someone knows for sure. But you're doing great. No apologies necessary - you post as much as you need/want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter