Question on 7 month booking

AGP

Mouseketeer
Hello, sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but I am wondering what is the best way to book a non-home resort at 7 months when I've already used my points: I plan to book my home resort using all of my available points for Dec 26th for 4 nights, but i would like to try to switch resorts at 7 months to another resort that will allow me to stay 5 nights (AKL or SSR or OKW?)- IF I find availability right at the 7 month mark to book one of those other non-home resorts, how can I drop my home resort reservation and secure the non-home right at the 7 month window before the rooms are gone? I am afraid to drop my home resort then by the time i go to book the non-home the rooms may be gone and I'll be left with nothing. Is it possible to do this without risking having nothing?

Hello, sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but I am wondering what is the best way to book a non-home resort at 7 months when I've already used my points: I plan to book my home resort using all of my available points for Dec 26th for 4 nights, but i would like to try to switch resorts at 7 months to another resort that will allow me to stay 5 nights (AKL or SSR or OKW?)- IF I find availability right at the 7 month mark to book one of those other non-home resorts, how can I drop my home resort reservation and secure the non-home right at the 7 month window before the rooms are gone? I am afraid to drop my home resort then by the time i go to book the non-home the rooms may be gone and I'll be left with nothing. Is it possible to do this without risking having nothing?
There's no way to hold onto one reservation while using those points to book another. A call to MS can sometimes work. You can do it yourself online using what has been referred to as "the two browser method" to cancel the existing reservation at a certain point in the booking process for the new reservation. It usually works but any website problems could result in you having no reservation at all. I've done the two browser method at least 3 times successfully but each time I held my breath until the new reservation was confirmed.

Reactions: AGP

You can look at availability around that date to see if it's likely your original reservation may sellout. I am going June 29 to July 4, I had a home resort res at BWV but I wanted to change to Poly. The dates around then were all open, so I just cancelled the BWV and booked the Poly with no problem. To make it quicker, you can use 2 browsers. The other option is to wait until 9:00 and call member services. There have been mixed reports if they can actually hold the old reservation.

thanks for the replies- and for showing me that two browser method... I will try that I think if it looks like availability is scarce.. I'm not sure how far in advance studios between xmas and new years will book up in AKV/SSR/OKW, but I suspect pretty quick. I wish it was like dining where you could find a new reservation and it would just ask if you want to cancel the old and rebook the new in the same transaction... maybe some day:)

The time of year you are going does make it difficult to change at 7 months without risks. I have used the browser method as well but never for that time. Calling MS is the safest way, but you are going to be an hour behind everyone. Keep an eye on the availability when it gets close to see how things are looking. That may give you an idea if you did lose your original, you'd at least have something. If the RAT is showing very little available, then I would probably wait the hour and call MS and see what can be done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter