Question for those who rent points out

Hoppy-tn

Mouseketeer
Do you find that most request are looking to book within the 7 month window or between the 7-11 month window for where they are wanting to stay?
In other words is home resort advantage as big a deal when renting your points out? Thanks for any information.

It depends. Seasoned renters know the 11 and 7 month rules and plan accordingly. Newbies to DVC renting usually are asking me for points with a stay 4 months or less before travel.
ETA: We have poly points we rent for more than our other resorts so I try to find a renter looking to book between 11 and 7 months to justify the additional cost. Luckily I have luck just posting on my own Facebook page and rent to friends and family.

Depends on the resort. People looking to book VGC and BCV usually request way before the 7 month window. Others looking to book SSR and OKW, not so much. All depends.

I have found that a lot of people think you can get last minute reservations which almost never happens anymore. I just looked for a family member for a 2 night stay in May at any resort, there is nothing available on any weekend, at any resort. I used to be able to more easily book at the 7 mth window even for myself, now that is highly unlikely. Not sure why this is, but I find renting my points with home resort 11 mth advantage has always been best and I've rented out about 8 times over the years.

I have found that a lot of people think you can get last minute reservations which almost never happens anymore. I just looked for a family member for a 2 night stay in May at any resort, there is nothing available on any weekend, at any resort. I used to be able to more easily book at the 7 mth window even for myself, now that is highly unlikely. Not sure why this is, but I find renting my points with home resort 11 mth advantage has always been best and I've rented out about 8 times over the years.
The huge resort imbalance is my guess as to why it's so hard to book at certain resorts. SSR and Aulani alone have more points in the DVC ecosystem than all of the other resorts combined. If SSR has no availability, then I don't think I'd want to be in WDW anyway.

The huge resort imbalance is my guess as to why it's so hard to book at certain resorts. SSR and Aulani alone have more points in the DVC ecosystem than all of the other resorts combined. If SSR has no availability, then I don't think I'd want to be in WDW anyway.
Yeah I was shocked SSR didn't have anything on any weekend in May together. There were some random days here and there. It seems every time of year is now busy at Disney unfortunately for us members looking for a slower season!

Yeah I was shocked SSR didn't have anything on any weekend in May together. There were some random days here and there. It seems every time of year is now busy at Disney unfortunately for us members looking for a slower season!
The proliferation of the rental industry is also a culprit I think. Many owners book up premium resorts right at the 7 month window, so that they can rent it out themselves for a premium. can you imagine, using cheap SSR resale points to book up Beach Club and earning a profit? Kinda hard to resist IMO.

The proliferation of the rental industry is also a culprit I think. Many owners book up premium resorts right at the 7 month window, so that they can rent it out themselves for a premium. can you imagine, using cheap SSR resale points to book up Beach Club and earning a profit? Kinda hard to resist IMO.
Good point! Rental market has definitely taken off since 2010 when we originally bought.

Hi,

for my BCV points the 11 months is a must if a want a good price. As soon as we hit the seven month mark , then they loose their appeal.

I’ve found I have the easiest time renting confirmed reservations that I make at the 7th month mark. I own SSR, but have easily rented Poly, CCV, BLT and other confirmed reservations I make at 7 months out for summer and spring break weeks.

We rented our points once after accumulating too many points after the Co-Vid closure. Both contracts were rented at about the 5 month mark.

I've primarily rented at the 11 month mark, for people wanting my home resort. The only time I didn't was when I rented a confirmed reservation my wife and I couldn't make at the 4 month mark.

When my ad was up here for rentals, I seemed to get a LOT of people who wanted last minute (< 1 month) reservations, or people who didn't understand that my home resort points couldn't be used at their preferred resort until the 7th month mark. There were also people who wanted a huge discount over the prevailing rate because their dates were close by (i.e., ignoring the fact that my points were good for 11 months after their preferred date).

When my ad was up here for rentals, I seemed to get a LOT of people who wanted last minute (< 1 month) reservations, or people who didn't understand that my home resort points couldn't be used at their preferred resort until the 7th month mark. There were also people who wanted a huge discount over the prevailing rate because their dates were close by (i.e., ignoring the fact that my points were good for 11 months after their preferred date).
this was the main reason, I went with one of the rental companies. I didn't want to deal with the hassle. They made it very easy. Doing it myself, I would have made a little more money, but my time and not dealing with hassles is worth a lot.

I found that while some didn't understand how the bookings worked, I was still able to easily rent on here, took maybe 8-10 queries to rent my points, and most went between 7-11 months. David's pays a premium for some resorts, but on here its upto you to set the price you think you can get, at most I think you may get 1$pp more for in-demand resorts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter