Question for those who drive to Disney down 95: BBQ food

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
I asked this on another board but thought some of you might have an answer. We have driven from NJ to WDW many times but our dining along the way is usually limited to fast food, as much as we hate that. But DW and I are heading down soon for the Podcast Cruise and we'd like to find a good BBQ place for lunch or dinner along the way. I know there are some billboards for places but I don't know if they are any good or just tourist traps. So if any of you know of a great BBQ spot along the 95 route, let me know. It's okay if it's not right near an exit but we don't want to stray too far off track, maybe a few miles tops.

I asked this on another board but thought some of you might have an answer. We have driven from NJ to WDW many times but our dining along the way is usually limited to fast food, as much as we hate that. But DW and I are heading down soon for the Podcast Cruise and we'd like to find a good BBQ place for lunch or dinner along the way. I know there are some billboards for places but I don't know if they are any good or just tourist traps. So if any of you know of a great BBQ spot along the 95 route, let me know. It's okay if it's not right near an exit but we don't want to stray too far off track, maybe a few miles tops.
We lived in Richmond Hill, GA (about 20 minutes South of Savannah) for about 3 years and they had a great place right off of I-95. If you take exit #87, there's fabulous BBQ restaurant called Smokin' Pig - we used to eat there pretty regularly because it's SO good! Their address is 3986 Hwy 17, Richmond Hill, GA 31324. :)

You have to stop in balitmore for some crab cakes and blue crabs. not exactly BBQ but it's on the way and far enough from where you are starting off that it would be a nice stop until you get into BBQ country.

I thought the only food places on 95 were Waffle House and Cracker Barrel.

Anyway there was Angies Dinner in Midway that was great, or Smokin Pig which was a 45 minute drive from Ft Stewart but worth the trip. Both are on 17 but Angies is further south off of 95, it's more like a southern version of Shady Maple.

You have to stop in balitmore for some crab cakes and blue crabs. not exactly BBQ but it's on the way and far enough from where you are starting off that it would be a nice stop until you get into BBQ country.
Faidley Seafood (located in Lexington Market in Baltimore) had some good crabcakes, but it has been awhile since MIL had treated us takeout from them. When we go to Baltimore, Pappas is our go to for take-out...but, we ate in the last time. Pappas was on Oprah's list last year.

Our favorite bbq that was on Food Network is The Pit, but in Raleigh ( http://www.thepit-raleigh.com ). I'm not sure what bbq restaurants near I-95 that are good/open since many places along I-95 had some damage from Matthew---so research needs to be done.

We lived in Richmond Hill, GA (about 20 minutes South of Savannah) for about 3 years and they had a great place right off of I-95. If you take exit #87, there's fabulous BBQ restaurant called Smokin' Pig - we used to eat there pretty regularly because it's SO good! Their address is 3986 Hwy 17, Richmond Hill, GA 31324. :)

I have eaten here and I recommend it. It doesn't look like much (it shares it's building with a gas station) but the BBQ is good.

I have eaten here and I recommend it. It doesn't look like much (it shares it's building with a gas station) but the BBQ is good.
Cool! Yup, it's definitely a hole-in-the-wall place. In fact, we probably never would've tried it if it weren't for some friends of ours who live there and told us about it. Sometimes those are the best places!

A foodie friend raved about a place he visited in GA on his way home from FL last year. When I asked him, he said it was a chain called Sonny's BBQ. After a quick Google search, I'm guessing he went to the one in Brunswick, GA.

He also raved about Chaps Pit Beef in Baltimore.

I'll throw this out there for any readers who might stray off the beaten path. I looked it up because I thought Charleston was closer to 95 than it is.

There's a place on Savannah Hwy in Charleston called Bessinger's BBQ. We had it a few years ago and liked it so much we brought home the sauce.

Sonnys for ribs I stop every trip there are 2or 3 on the way down also sax us is great if you like chicken

I've been to a couple near Savannah but can't recall the names. Im sure there are many good ones around there.

I found a great one in Winter Garden if you want some in the Orlando area. :) Harry's and Larry's

I've been to a couple near Savannah but can't recall the names. Im sure there are many good ones around there.

I found a great one in Winter Garden if you want some in the Orlando area. :) Harry's and Larry's

interesting I'll have to try it out, did you get to a 4rivers yet?

I always hear the Ravenous Pig is awesome, though not sure what type of food they serve. And I'm pretty sure the Polite Pig opening in Disney Springs is a "relative". :)

Faidley Seafood (located in Lexington Market in Baltimore) had some good crabcakes, but it has been awhile since MIL had treated us takeout from them. When we go to Baltimore, Pappas is our go to for take-out...but, we ate in the last time. Pappas was on Oprah's list last year.

Our favorite bbq that was on Food Network is The Pit, but in Raleigh ( http://www.thepit-raleigh.com ). I'm not sure what bbq restaurants near I-95 that are good/open since many places along I-95 had some damage from Matthew---so research needs to be done.
Faidley's is still wonderful. Of course the area around Lexington Market is a tad bit sketchy but if you just stick to the market and go during the day it's fine.

No offense to those of you who like Sonnys but it's a chain and while will work in a pinch, not that great. The little hole in the wall places are much better, they tend to put more work into it. I live in Georgia, my family are all from here generations back, we smoke our own bbq when we have time but love the little out of way local places. Don't get me wrong, in a pinch, on a Sunday when we are hungry we will go to Sonny's and enjoy it but if you can get to a local place, do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter