Question For Those Who Didn’t Enjoy Universal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think you hit it on the head - after 10 days at Disney, you are the walking dead. After 8 days at Universal, we were relaxed and fulfilled. It is just different. With 4 parks, 2 water parks, Disney Springs, ADRs, buses, FP planning, all over miles and miles of land, Disney is fun, but exhausting. Keep in mind, that Universal/Islands/City Walk just about fits into Epcot. The food options are just as varied in my opinion, but closer in proximity. World class resorts with incredible amenities are an easy boat ride, shuttle, or walk away.

And you can share the amenities of all the resorts when you stay at one. You prefer the Hard Rock pool vibe but don't like the price, stay elsewhere and pool hop. Too easy. We have never stayed at Portofino Bay, but we visit every trip as Sal's has become a must do for the BBQ Chicken Pizza. And it's easy to get there!

For us, we try to visit Magic Kingdom every few trips, for Christmas or Halloween or just a day because my daughter loves the princesses and I "have" to pay for breakfast at the castle. But other than that, my kids just love the IPs at Universal better - HP, Minions, Kong, Jimmy Fallon, etc.

At Uni, we stay with Express Pass - make 2 trips over to the parks for a few hours each day (so 4-6 hours per day total) - sleep in, eat way too much, and lounge at the pools. A wonderful balance of excitement and relaxation, so that is my vote to finish on.

But I also know how most want that last night to be special and memorable, so if your heart is still at Disney, that may be where you want to be...for this trip!

Thanks for that-I totally see your point and I must admit I like the idea of winding down at the end of the holidasy-it is a culture shock when we go home so maybe your way would help us adjust-OK I admit I DON'T WANT to adjust....:teeth:

So I will throw in my two cents. We just did a split stay between RPR/Universal and AKL/Disney. We did two nights at RPR and then five at AKL. It was our first time at Universal; my kids were 6 and 7. We loved HP World and the Express Passes were amazing. The quick service food was better than the quick service food at Disney. The hotel was beautiful.
However, it was no Disney for us. We had a great time there and really liked it; however, when we got to AKL, that Disney “feeling” just took over.
Even though RPR was beautiful and I would recommend staying there, it just didn’t evoke the same feeling as AKL. Same with the parks.

As far was what we didn’t like about Universal:
- it seemed like 75% of the rides were motion simulators. It was the same ride over and over and over again just with different characters
- not being able to bring bags on the rides. This was something little but we always carry a small back pack with essentials (water bottles, sunblock, etc). The fact that you had to walk to a locker, do the digital sign in/out of the locker, and then walk back to the ride each time was annoying.
- characters didn’t sign autographs. My kids get super excited to get autographs, but they don’t do them here.
- my kids didn’t know a lot of the characters. They know all the popular stuff from now but had no idea who Sinbad, Men In Black, and ET were amongst others.
- less places to cool off. I feel like Disney does a great job of moving you inside and keeping you shaded while waiting for rides in the hot sun. I didn’t find the same to be true at universal.

Overall, I liked universal and RPR and would totally do both again. However, I was calling for a Bounceback offer for Disney. It’ll be a few years until I go back to universal.

Thanks for that-I totally see your point and I must admit I like the idea of winding down at the end of the holidasy-it is a culture shock when we go home so maybe your way would help us adjust-OK I admit I DON'T WANT to adjust....:teeth:

So I will throw in my two cents. We just did a split stay between RPR/Universal and AKL/Disney. We did two nights at RPR and then five at AKL. It was our first time at Universal; my kids were 6 and 7. We loved HP World and the Express Passes were amazing. The quick service food was better than the quick service food at Disney. The hotel was beautiful.
However, it was no Disney for us. We had a great time there and really liked it; however, when we got to AKL, that Disney “feeling” just took over.
Even though RPR was beautiful and I would recommend staying there, it just didn’t evoke the same feeling as AKL. Same with the parks.

As far was what we didn’t like about Universal:
- it seemed like 75% of the rides were motion simulators. It was the same ride over and over and over again just with different characters
- not being able to bring bags on the rides. This was something little but we always carry a small back pack with essentials (water bottles, sunblock, etc). The fact that you had to walk to a locker, do the digital sign in/out of the locker, and then walk back to the ride each time was annoying.
- characters didn’t sign autographs. My kids get super excited to get autographs, but they don’t do them here.
- my kids didn’t know a lot of the characters. They know all the popular stuff from now but had no idea who Sinbad, Men In Black, and ET were amongst others.
- less places to cool off. I feel like Disney does a great job of moving you inside and keeping you shaded while waiting for rides in the hot sun. I didn’t find the same to be true at universal.

Overall, I liked universal and RPR and would totally do both again. However, I was calling for a Bounceback offer for Disney. It’ll be a few years until I go back to universal.

Thank you for this! I have been to both Disney and Universal, but I have never stayed on site at Universal. The last time I went to both, or Universal at all was 2000. I had similar impressions of Universal at that time—too many motion simulators, unfamiliar characters, although the Spider Man ride had opened and I did find that amazing. I haven’t been since the opening of Harry Potter and all the additional resorts have opened, so I was hoping they had made changes. I know my boys will love Harry Potter, but I’m very worried I will spend most of the day sick.

One question I have is should we stay at Universal? We currently have a reservation at RPR, but we are already staying at both Beach Club and the Polynesian at Disney (4 nights each). I feel as though we should have allowed more time. Our plan was to pull our kids out of school for 1 week in mid-January. We bought our airfare and everything before discovering that the kids are off for 2 weeks at Christmas! Sure, it would have been more expensive and crowded, but we would have had more time to fit things in, although we probably wouldn’t be staying at Deluxe resorts. Anyway, our plan was to go to Universal for the day and use the second day only if we didn’t see everything we want to. The reservation is already paid for and guarantees us Express Pass. Will we even need that in January? But...I don’t know...we would be paying for a room at the BC while also paying for a room at RPR. Is it worth it for the Express Pass?

Also, is it all bags at Universal? Even a super small crossbody? What if I make my husband wear a fanny pack?

Thank you for this! I have been to both Disney and Universal, but I have never stayed on site at Universal. The last time I went to both, or Universal at all was 2000. I had similar impressions of Universal at that time—too many motion simulators, unfamiliar characters, although the Spider Man ride had opened and I did find that amazing. I haven’t been since the opening of Harry Potter and all the additional resorts have opened, so I was hoping they had made changes. I know my boys will love Harry Potter, but I’m very worried I will spend most of the day sick.

One question I have is should we stay at Universal? We currently have a reservation at RPR, but we are already staying at both Beach Club and the Polynesian at Disney (4 nights each). I feel as though we should have allowed more time. Our plan was to pull our kids out of school for 1 week in mid-January. We bought our airfare and everything before discovering that the kids are off for 2 weeks at Christmas! Sure, it would have been more expensive and crowded, but we would have had more time to fit things in, although we probably wouldn’t be staying at Deluxe resorts. Anyway, our plan was to go to Universal for the day and use the second day only if we didn’t see everything we want to. The reservation is already paid for and guarantees us Express Pass. Will we even need that in January? But...I don’t know...we would be paying for a room at the BC while also paying for a room at RPR. Is it worth it for the Express Pass?

I personally wouldn't go without express pass, but I also don't like to leave beach club when we've stayed there because the pool is so nice which is why we probably won't stay there anymore. We get nothing done in the parks. At any rate, I wouldn't want to be paying for Beach Club or any deluxe disney resort and paying for a universal resort at the same time. Thats just throwing money away.

Also, is it all bags at Universal? Even a super small crossbody? What if I make my husband wear a fanny pack?

There are six rides that make you use a locker...Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Men in Black, Hulk, Rip Ride Rockit and Mummy. For the big coasters (Hulk and RRR), you aren't even allowed fanny packs but for the other rides fanny packs (with a 3 prong clasp) are allowed.

I guess I don't understand the notion that paying for a universal Deluxe room while staying at a Disney resort is a waste of money, although this is a thought held by many.

We often stay at a Sea World partner hotel with a Discovery Cove package and pay for one night at Royal Pacific without checking out of the SW hotel, and it makes all the sense to us. But, it's based on the premise that we love Universal and all of the IPs there, so we are looking for Express Pass as a purchase. To buy Unlimited Express Pass for the 4 of us is roughly $650 per day, so $1,300 for 2 days. If I can get the same product for a $500 per night hotel, why would I not save the $800? Who cares if I ever set foot in that room or not?

If I could pay the same $500 to stay at Poly or Beach Club and get unlimited Fast Pass for 2 parks at Disney...no brainer, even if I don't love all of the IPs. Even if I don't love riding the SAME SLOW MOTORIZED RIDE, whether I am looking at Its a Small World, Pirates, Little Mermaid, Nemo, the stupid three ducks in Mexico's pavilion, Frozen, Jungle Cruise, Figment...(I know I missed a few).

I get it that people are tired of the motion simulators...but we love them! As long as they are IPs that we love. We love Minions, Spidey, Transformers, Kong, Simpsons, HP, etc. and those rides are super cool to us. And although I could ride Jungle Cruise over and over and still laugh at the corny jokes, I get tired of riding slow people movers with different Disney IPs. Because I don't love the princesses (but I love my daughter who does), I'm not engaged in Mexico area, or on Figment, etc. - its just not for us.

I get it that people are tired of the motion simulators...but we love them! As long as they are IPs that we love. We love Minions, Spidey, Transformers, Kong, Simpsons, HP, etc. and those rides are super cool to us. And although I could ride Jungle Cruise over and over and still laugh at the corny jokes, I get tired of riding slow people movers with different Disney IPs. Because I don't love the princesses (but I love my daughter who does), I'm not engaged in Mexico area, or on Figment, etc. - its just not for us.
It is wonderful that there are different options for different families.

Our family isn't into Minions, Transformers, Kong, Simpsons or HP. So those rides are pretty meaningless for us. And another motion simulator? Egh.

But my husband and I are corny. We went to Niagra Falls for our honeymoon and we have only gotten worse. :love2:

My point was you might as well just stay the night at Universal rather than pay Disney deluxe rates if you are going to universal.

I guess I don't understand the notion that paying for a universal Deluxe room while staying at a Disney resort is a waste of money, although this is a thought held by many.

We often stay at a Sea World partner hotel with a Discovery Cove package and pay for one night at Royal Pacific without checking out of the SW hotel, and it makes all the sense to us. But, it's based on the premise that we love Universal and all of the IPs there, so we are looking for Express Pass as a purchase. To buy Unlimited Express Pass for the 4 of us is roughly $650 per day, so $1,300 for 2 days. If I can get the same product for a $500 per night hotel, why would I not save the $800? Who cares if I ever set foot in that room or not?

If I could pay the same $500 to stay at Poly or Beach Club and get unlimited Fast Pass for 2 parks at Disney...no brainer, even if I don't love all of the IPs. Even if I don't love riding the SAME SLOW MOTORIZED RIDE, whether I am looking at Its a Small World, Pirates, Little Mermaid, Nemo, the stupid three ducks in Mexico's pavilion, Frozen, Jungle Cruise, Figment...(I know I missed a few).

For all those who didn’t enjoy Universal and have stayed at both US & Disney, just curious what you didn’t like about Universal? What about Disney won you over? I’ve heard so many pros, but I feel like I have not heard as many cons.

We are going in January to Disney and were planning to stay one night at RPR and do 2 days at Universal. I started to compare resort costs and found myself wondering why we’re staying at both? Universal is far less expensive for a much nicer accommodation and unlimited EP. That said, we loved our Disney stay at the Poly and it was so magical that I’m worried we will regret staying our entire week at US just to save a bit on the hotel. I also don’t think there is enough there to keep us entertained for a week, and there is still more we want to do at Disney that we didn’t have time to do the first trip (Boardwalk, dinner shows, Epcot world showcase, etc.). I’m also a bit worried our boys are still young for US (they will be 9 when we go). We tried to watch the Mummy with them and didn’t get through 5 minutes of the movie because they were so scared. Perhaps a day or two to try it out our first time would be best? Ugh . I feel like I’m losing my mind trying to decide.
We went to Universal after a blissful week at WDW, which was the first mistake. We really didn't want to leave WDW and were sad about it. Our second mistake was that we stayed off-site at Universal, so even though we were there early for the opening, the crowds of on-site guests had already taken over the park. Harry Potter was beyond overcrowded, so we didn't get to do what we wanted. We aren't thrill riders which limited our options. The Dr. Seuss area was cute, but that was about it, certainly not worth the high price of admission. The overall magical feeling in WDW does not exist at Universal. We blew a lot of money and really couldn't wait to leave, basically the exact opposite of how we feel when we go to WDW.

We went to Universal after a blissful week at WDW, which was the first mistake. We really didn't want to leave WDW and were sad about it. Our second mistake was that we stayed off-site at Universal, so even though we were there early for the opening, the crowds of on-site guests had already taken over the park. Harry Potter was beyond overcrowded, so we didn't get to do what we wanted. We aren't thrill riders which limited our options. The Dr. Seuss area was cute, but that was about it, certainly not worth the high price of admission. The overall magical feeling in WDW does not exist at Universal. We blew a lot of money and really couldn't wait to leave, basically the exact opposite of how we feel when we go to WDW.

I wonder if the tables had been turned and you were a Universal regular who just spent a chunk of time at Universal in a deluxe room with unlimited express and early admission and then went to Magic Kingdom for the first time and stayed off-site without the 60 days advanced fast passes, you'd probably say that the overall magical feeling of Universal did not exist at Disney. I know many people who just went for a day to WDW, stayed offsite and said they would never go back. I feel that familiarity breeds contentment, especially at a place like Disney or Universal.

I remember going to Animal Kingdom for the first time. We were staying at Universal and just went over for the day. We left at about noon because there was nothing for us to do without sitting and waiting around all day. Now that we know how to do the Disney parks and have been there many times, my feelings have changed quite a bit. The biggest thing is to stay onsite at least one night to get the perks.

Why don’t you put your Universal one night stay in-between you Poly and Beach Club stays, since you are packing up anyhow? I’d definitely recommend staying at Universal to get the Express Pass and reduce travel time.

I wonder if the tables had been turned and you were a Universal regular who just spent a chunk of time at Universal in a deluxe room with unlimited express and early admission and then went to Magic Kingdom for the first time and stayed off-site without the 60 days advanced fast passes, you'd probably say that the overall magical feeling of Universal did not exist at Disney. I know many people who just went for a day to WDW, stayed offsite and said they would never go back. I feel that familiarity breeds contentment, especially at a place like Disney or Universal.

I remember going to Animal Kingdom for the first time. We were staying at Universal and just went over for the day. We left at about noon because there was nothing for us to do without sitting and waiting around all day. Now that we know how to do the Disney parks and have been there many times, my feelings have changed quite a bit. The biggest thing is to stay onsite at least one night to get the perks.
It's a good theory except that the rides at Universal don't appeal to me nor do the characters other than Dr. Seuss. My DD is a huge Harry Potter fan, so I know that she will return one day. If we return, we will most definitely stay onsite and do things better. I will stay at the resort pool.

Our first trip to WDW was a whirlwind, and other than staying onsite, we did everything wrong. It was still magical, and it kicked off our 14 year long addiction to all things Disney.

Why don’t you put your Universal one night stay in-between you Poly and Beach Club stays, since you are packing up anyhow? I’d definitely recommend staying at Universal to get the Express Pass and reduce travel time.

Good suggestion! We hadn’t considered that, but it makes sense. At least that way we wouldn’t be paying for 2 hotels at the same time, which admittedly is a complete waste. But...Will we still be able to use Magical Express on the way home?

Good suggestion! We hadn’t considered that, but it makes sense. At least that way we wouldn’t be paying for 2 hotels at the same time, which admittedly is a complete waste. But...Will we still be able to use Magical Express on the way home?
Shouldn’t be a problem at all. Like Macraven says above-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter