Question for people who have been to DL & DW

seagodess

DIS Veteran
My 10 year wedding anniversary is in March 2015. I wanted to do a surprise trip to DW for just me and DH. Neither of us have been and we really want to go. However we both want to wait to take DS until he is older. We had our honeymoon at DL and I thought this would be a perfect time for us to get away, plus check out what DW is all about. After doing some reading on the DW boards, I’m so confused and questioning if I want to go to DW or just stick to DL. It seems so much more complicated there. From hotel's, dining plans, transpertation, so many parks that are so big. I've never had to deal with any of that stuff for DL, so I'm lost.

Money and time will both be tight, so that will be the ultimate deciding factor. We will only have about 5 days for the parks, and I know that isn’t a lot for DW since it’s so big.

Is DW really as complicated as it seems to be? Will 5 days be enough to really enjoy it without rushing?

I need insider’s advice. Give me your thoughts and words of wisdom about the parks please.

Money and time will both be tight, so that will be the ultimate deciding factor. We will only have about 5 days for the parks, and I know that isn’t a lot for DW since it’s so big.

Is DW really as complicated as it seems to be? Will 5 days be enough to really enjoy it without rushing?

I think 5 days is enough to whet your appetite. You will have a great time, but it will be an overview. But that is ok. :banana:

I think 5 days is plenty! An adult trip is much more relaxed than one with kids. Don't expect to see everything. There are lots of adult themed places to eat, tours, romantic areas to walk - etc. I love DL with the kids since it is so manageable...but DW would be a lot of fun.

I am a DL vet, been going since I was a kid, but in February, Dh and I went to DW for the first time ever! We only had ONE day because the main reason for our trip was staying on the beach, but DW was still SO fun! We just picked the 2-4 very basic rides/attractions we wanted to see at each park and hustled along to the next park after. Busy but amazing! I think you could do the same thing but on a much larger scale since you will have five days! I think five days would be plenty to have an amazing time and see most all you want to see, especially with no kids in tow! I really think you should do it!!! It was such an incredible experience for me personally, because DW still has some of the things that I really miss from childhood at DL, such as the peoplemover and the country bears, not to mention the Mainstreet electrical parade!!(Now if they would have still had the Skybuckets, I very well would have flat-out refused to leave!! HA!) I have such fond memories of BOTH the MSEP and County Bears that I literally sobbed watching both! LOL Also, just the sheer size of the place is completely awesome! You feel a lot more "absorbed" in Disney there IMO. The castle is HUGE!! The other awesome perk for us was that since there are so many Disney hotels around there, we were able to stay ONSITE for the first time ever! We've never been able to afford any of the DL hotels, but had no problems at DW! We stayed at the Coronado Springs and it was sooo beautiful, I was in awe, even for the one night we got to stay! With 5 days, you would have even more time to get to explore your resort! We just loved the whole DW experience so much that we are actually MOVING to florida (we are just above you in Washington! Hello fellow West Coaster!) in about 7 months!! Can't wait! :banana:

My 10 year wedding anniversary is in March 2015. I wanted to do a surprise trip to DW for just me and DH. Neither of us have been and we really want to go. However we both want to wait to take DS until he is older. We had our honeymoon at DL and I thought this would be a perfect time for us to get away, plus check out what DW is all about. After doing some reading on the DW boards, I’m so confused and questioning if I want to go to DW or just stick to DL. It seems so much more complicated there. From hotel's, dining plans, transpertation, so many parks that are so big. I've never had to deal with any of that stuff for DL, so I'm lost.

I need insider’s advice. Give me your thoughts and words of wisdom about the parks please.

I will start off with my overall observations about the differences between WDW and DLR vets. WDW vets care more about the resort experience. DLR vets care more about the experience inside the parks.

To plan a visit to WDW and make it be all about the parks and rides is a DLR vet mistake, IMO. Understandable. But you will miss what WDW is about. Sure, you can do it. You can go and hit the parks for five days. And you can have a lot of fun. But to say you have really experienced WDW is just not the case.

I am not saying this to discourage you from going. I am trying to open your mind to think outside the park boundaries. And to think about more things than rides and shows in the parks.

With five days you will have limited time to go outside the park boundaries. But you should try at least a little.

Here are some things I would say you should try to focus on more than you would at at DLR

- Music - lots of it at Epcot and DHS especially. Bands. Street performers. Stuff DLR does not have.
- Dining - don't just hit all the fast burger places. Making some reservations and sit down and take your time. Especially at Epcot.
- Outside venues - ice cream at Beaches & Cream in the Boardwalk area. See a dinner show such as Hoop-Dee-Do Review at Fort Wilderness. Watch a Disney movie under the stars at Fort Wilderness or on the Boardwalk. There are lots more but those are some ideas.

Honestly, I think you could have fun either place! We are WDW vets. Our average trips are either a long weekend (3-4 park days) or a full week (9 days including arrival & departure days.) I feel like we get a good highlights tour on our weekends - although we can never fit in all of the good eats!

We just got back from DLR. We had four full days, plus about two hours on our arrival evening. We "lost" about a day's worth of touring in the middle due to the half marathon - Sat we left the parks mid-day to get organized & go to bed early, and Sunday we did not head into the parks until late afternoon. On our last day (Mon,) as we were trying to squeeze last rides in, I felt like I could have used just one more day to feel like the right length to do "everything." Then I realized we HAD that day, it had just been used for the half, so in the future 4 full days was probably just about right for us.

Attraction numbers are similar between the two coasts - trip structure is just different. For us, five days would probably consist of two DHS mornings, one EPCOT, and one MK. We would do one AK evening - but we have seen the shows, if we wanted to see them that would be the fifth morning. Two to three MK evenings, and then the last evening probably DHS. Not in that order of course. We tend to mix & match half-days at WDW. Many adult-only groups would probably swap our copious MK evenings for EPCOT evenings, which would be totally valid, too.

At DLR, we hoofed it everywhere - travel time (park to park, hotel to park) was <10 minutes. We never "went" anywhere and my park bag was lighter, knowing that it was easy to get back to the hotel if I needed anything else. At WDW, we "go out" for the day - well, at least until mid-day break - allowing +/- an hour for transportation, depending on where we are going. If you forget something at the hotel, it is an ordeal to return and get it. (Exceptions for those few hotels next to a park, IF you happen to be in the right park.) There is also much more emphasis/availability on out-of-park activities & extras: tons of restaurants, mini golf, water parks, water sports, golf, etc etc. BUT those items can easily be ignored if you just want to get a taste of WDW via the parks.

We drag LOTS of friends to WDW, and we do so because it's easy. Want to skip RD & join us at the park later? Walk to the stop and hop on the bus. Too tired to stay til close? Bus is there for you then, too! From the moment I park at the airport, it is all done "for me" and I love that. I had to think more at DLR, even if it was just stupid stuff like remembering to get my bags at the airport. Lol.

I love both places, but I definitely find them very different. I think it's worth checking them both out. :)

I will start off with my overall observations about the differences between WDW and DLR vets. WDW vets care more about the resort experience. DLR vets care more about the experience inside the parks.

To plan a visit to WDW and make it be all about the parks and rides is a DLR vet mistake, IMO. Understandable. But you will miss what WDW is about. Sure, you can do it. You can go and hit the parks for five days. And you can have a lot of fun. But to say you have really experienced WDW is just not the case.

I am not saying this to discourage you from going. I am trying to open your mind to think outside the park boundaries. And to think about more things than rides and shows in the parks.

With five days you will have limited time to go outside the park boundaries. But you should try at least a little.

Here are some things I would say you should try to focus on more than you would at at DLR

- Music - lots of it at Epcot and DHS especially. Bands. Street performers. Stuff DLR does not have.
- Dining - don't just hit all the fast burger places. Making some reservations and sit down and take your time. Especially at Epcot.
- Outside venues - ice cream at Beaches & Cream in the Boardwalk area. See a dinner show such as Hoop-Dee-Do Review at Fort Wilderness. Watch a Disney movie under the stars at Fort Wilderness or on the Boardwalk. There are lots more but those are some ideas.

I agree with Hydroguy 200%! We did wdw 2 years ago but with 4 kids in tow. We stayed 2 weeks and only hit the parks 7 days (plus a day at Universal and a day for the Halloween party). Definitely make reservations and enjoy the dining, hoop dee doo review was a lot of fun, but don't go expecting the type of trip you have at Disneyland. There is so much more we didn't get a chance to do and see outside and inside the parks. I'm making of list of things we will need to hit next time.

i found the world to be incredibly easy. i did quite a bit of research on the dis boards before we went. it's super easy really.

are you flying in? (if you're staying on property)just tell the people when you buy your package that you need the magical express. (your luggage will show up in your room if you put the yellow tags they sent you on the bags.) magical express takes you to the hotel.

dining plan? easy. depending on what plan you choose, you either just show up to the reservations you make or walk up to the counter. tell the people you're on the plan. they are very helpful and will tell you what options you have. then you just hand the cashier your card or hold your band over the sensor. the receipt tells you how many credits you have left so you can keep track.

staying on property at one of disneys hotels is the only way i go so i can't really say much about off site hotels. it's so super easy to stay on property and so much cheaper than disneylands hotels, it's incredible. the bus system really is very simple. they run from hotel to park. if you want to go to another hotel, you'll have to use a park or downtown disney as a transfer spot. after the fun day at the park, you just go to the bus stop that has your hotel on it and they take you back.

vacation over? go to the front desk and they will tell you where to go take your luggage. the magical express will then take you back to the airport, your bags, if you checked them at the hotel, will be at your final destination.

you can arrange so much in advance, i found that i didn't have to think about anything not disney till i left. btw, the parks are bigger, but have less crammed into them. i find it rather enjoyable because i don't feel as smothered in people, but to be fair i do go to the world in off peak season.

It was such an incredible experience for me personally, because DW still has some of the things that I really miss from childhood at DL, such as the peoplemover and the country bears, not to mention the Mainstreet electrical parade!!(Now if they would have still had the Skybuckets, I very well would have flat-out refused to leave!! HA!) I have such fond memories of BOTH the MSEP and County Bears that I literally sobbed watching both! LOL Also, just the sheer size of the place is completely awesome! You feel a lot more "absorbed" in Disney there IMO. The castle is HUGE!! The other awesome perk for us was that since there are so many Disney hotels around there, we were able to stay ONSITE for the first time ever! We've never been able to afford any of the DL hotels, but had no problems at DW! We stayed at the Coronado Springs and it was sooo beautiful, I was in awe, even for the one night we got to stay! With 5 days, you would have even more time to get to explore your resort! We just loved the whole DW experience so much that we are actually MOVING to florida (we are just above you in Washington! Hello fellow West Coaster!) in about 7 months!! Can't wait!
I have heard of the electrical parade. That sounds so cool. I dont know what the other stuff is. I was surprised when I started looking at hotels and found that they cost the same as the off sight hotels in DL.
Good luck on your move. I could never leave Oregon, I love it here.

Thanks for the idea's. I have heard a lot that DW has many more options for food. That really isn't something I'm concerned about. We are not big foody people. We would rather grab a slice of pizza and go, than a sit down dinner. I was surprised when I was looking at the dining plans and it was a extra $500 for the 5 days. That is just crazy. We usually spend $20-50 a day tops on food. I like the idea of the movie under the stars.

At DLR, we hoofed it everywhere - travel time (park to park, hotel to park) was <10 minutes. We never "went" anywhere and my park bag was lighter, knowing that it was easy to get back to the hotel if I needed anything else. At WDW, we "go out" for the day - well, at least until mid-day break - allowing +/- an hour for transportation, depending on where we are going. If you forget something at the hotel, it is an ordeal to return and get it. (Exceptions for those few hotels next to a park, IF you happen to be in the right park.) There is also much more emphasis/availability on out-of-park activities & extras: tons of restaurants, mini golf, water parks, water sports, golf, etc etc. BUT those items can easily be ignored if you just want to get a taste of WDW via the parks.
The travel time is what really scares me. It seems like so much wasted time at DW. Thats part of the reason I'm thinking of skipping the hoppers and just getting 1 park per day passes if we go there. I've never taken more than what fits in my pockets at DL, so I'd actually have to carry stuff at DW.

Thank you everyone your insite. I have a lot of thinking to do. I still REALLY want to do DW, but it really scares me too.

Thanks for the idea's. I have heard a lot that DW has many more options for food. That really isn't something I'm concerned about. We are not big foody people. We would rather grab a slice of pizza and go, than a sit down dinner. I was surprised when I was looking at the dining plans and it was a extra $500 for the 5 days. That is just crazy. We usually spend $20-50 a day tops on food. I like the idea of the movie under the stars.
I was never a Disney foodie until I visited WDW. What I am trying to tell you it is not about being a foodie. It is about incorporating dining into the experience as it will enhance the experience. Hitting burger and pizza places will get you food. But that is all. Going to SciFi Dine-In, Beaches & Cream and one or two of the Epcot dining locations will make your overall experience better. It will enhance the park and show. Plus get you food.

The travel time is what really scares me. It seems like so much wasted time at DW. Thats part of the reason I'm thinking of skipping the hoppers and just getting 1 park per day passes if we go there. I've never taken more than what fits in my pockets at DL, so I'd actually have to carry stuff at DW.
Do not get park hoppers. Focus on one park per day.

And forget about travel time scaring you. That is like WDW vets being scared about DLR being too small or the castle is too small. Forget all that.

Travel takes longer at WDW. So what do you do? Don't park hop. At least on a first trip. Be judicious in your hotel breaks. E.G., don't take them on a day you go to AK. And just ACCEPT the longer travel time and don't let it stress you. It is part of the price you pay to have access to something so much physically larger than DLR.

:wizard:

I'm a disneyland local, so I naturally prefer my own park. Personally, for what it costs in airfare from LA, it just isn't worth it for us to be at WDW for just 5 days. Do you mean 4 nights 5 days or 5 nights and 6 days? Because that makes a big difference.

WDW is very very confusing for me as a DLR local but we still love WDW and try to make it there once a year. We typically spend 8 nights and feel that still isn't enough. We love all of the restaurants but I hate the process of making ADR's and basically being a slave to my computer for weeks until I can get all of the ADR's in the time slots that I like.

I'm a disneyland local, so I naturally prefer my own park. Personally, for what it costs in airfare from LA, it just isn't worth it for us to be at WDW for just 5 days. Do you mean 4 nights 5 days or 5 nights and 6 days? Because that makes a big difference.

WDW is very very confusing for me as a DLR local but we still love WDW and try to make it there once a year. We typically spend 8 nights and feel that still isn't enough. We love all of the restaurants but I hate the process of making ADR's and basically being a slave to my computer for weeks until I can get all of the ADR's in the time slots that I like.

It would be 5 days for parks, plus 2 days travel time.

I personally would do an awesome trip to dlr with that time. 5 days in wdw would not be anywhere near enough for me. But we are long trip people. And we like universal Orlando, too, so we have include time for that.

I've been here 15 days. If you go hard core tourist, you'll see just about everything (I did in 2010). If you take a slower pace(like this trip), it will take more days.

I'd say give it a try especially for a couples trip. Dining reservations are a must and staying at a Disney hotel is a must. On site at DW gets you transport to and from the airport, on-site transportation and is the only way to get the EHM. Those are really helpful with the new FL opening at MK.

As an east coaster I see more of WDW - but love them both. The key at WDW is to enjoy the immersion from the outside world. I like to park hop here - but that is as a veteran, I would limit hopping on a first trip and definitely bring a backpack with supplies for the whole day (lockers are available and I use them everyday).

The restaurants are amazing and you will get a good taste of what the parks have for you.

5 days at WDW is plenty, especially if you are not bringing children. We usually factor in one day per park, but the truth is we are done by around 4:00, go back to the hotel for some r&r, then make a decision on the night (and we always get the Park Hopper so that we can hop). Epcot is a lot of fun for grownups after dark, and if you drink alcohol, I would definitely look into the Tequila Flight in Mexico. However, fair waning, do not even think of attempting either line at Mission Space afterwards. Trust me :-)

And let me say WDW is not even half as complicated as it seems - we usually stay at the Swan or Dolphin because of its accessibility - via boat you can hit Epcot or Hollywood Studios very quickly. And unlike the boats from MK, these are fairly large and run every 15 minutes or so. Plus, if you stay in this area you are very close to the Boardwalk which is great after dark, especially if the weather is pleasant. Staying on the monorail can also be nice, but this form of transportation gets very crowded around closing and it will break down when you least expect it.

Have fun and let us know which one you go with!

And forgot to add, I totally agree with Tinksassy that unlike DL, at WDW dining reservations are a definite must. We usually plan our WDW around them.

Ok, you lost me. What is a ADR?

I personally would do an awesome trip to dlr with that time. 5 days in wdw would not be anywhere near enough for me. But we are long trip people. And we like universal Orlando, too, so we have include time for that.
Unfortionatly we dont get to take long trips. DH and I both work and only get about a week of vacation time. Well I could get more if I saved my PTO, but I often cant save enough due to other things I need time off for. Plus DS is in school and has to stay with family. So we have to do it on his spring break so he doesn't miss school. And I REFUSE to go in the summer.

I've been here 15 days. If you go hard core tourist, you'll see just about everything (I did in 2010). If you take a slower pace(like this trip), it will take more days.
Holy cow that is a long time. We are tourist people since we dont get to take long vacations. Even when we have extra time we go at a pretty fast pace so we can get as much done as possible.

And forgot to add, I totally agree with Tinksassy that unlike DL, at WDW dining reservations are a definite must. We usually plan our WDW around them.
I just dont see how its worth it. $500 for a weeks worth of food is just crazy to me. I dont even spend that in a month.
When we go to DL we only eat once or twice a day and small meals. We cant really eat when we are so busy or when its warm out. It makes us feel sick to eat and then walk a lot.

Epcot is a lot of fun for grownups after dark, and if you drink alcohol, I would definitely look into the Tequila Flight in Mexico. However, fair waning, do not even think of attempting either line at Mission Space afterwards. Trust me :-)
We dont drink at all. I looked at epcot online and asked friend's who have gone. From what I am reading and hearing, epcot is not really a park we will spend much time in. There are only a handful of items we will want to see there. I'm really looking forward to AK. Have been for years. HS also looks REALLY cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter