• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for locals that visit the parks often

We just moved to FL in September, so I can't take a position on what it was like as a local before FP+, but we honestly love being AP holders and 22 minutes from our garage to the WDW gate. We take advantage of FP+ and we either decide a week ahead up to the day of, which park we will attend. We go 2-3 times a week. For example, Wednesdays are early release school days for my Kindergartener...I just decided 30 minutes ago that we will go to AK when I pick him up. I effortlessly made FP+ for the safari, Everest and Kali. We will ride those rides, have a snack and be back home for dinner. We love just going when we want and if we are in the mood for Wishes or Illuminations...we go! If a park is busy, we leave...no big deal. We also go to Downtown Disney a lot just to grab dinner and people watch or take the boat from there to POFQ for beignets or go see Bob at POR. To sum it all up, FP+ works for us as locals, but our touring pace is so much more relaxed.

Finally I see people saying it, not renewing APs. I think this also has something to do with higher than usual amount of sold out MNSSHPs. I really think there is a connection. We all have a love for Disney or we wouldn't be here.

I know many people that are holding off on buying or renewing APs..we're not saying we'll never get them again BUT...re-thinking.

Until then, I'll get my Disney fix by attending MNSSHP and this year the Soiree'.

We will also continue to have the occasional meal at Chef Mickeys' a decades old tradition for us LONG before it was located in the CR. We'll meet friends at Ft Wilderness for a relaxing day, last year had Thanksgiving dinner at Mickey's Backyard B_B_Q. Awesome time ! Food wonderful !

It's not all black clouds but it certainly isn't sunshine and glitter either. Things have changed.

Born and raised Floridian, we have had AP's probably longer than most people on this board have been visiting WDW. We visit whenever we went, but usually have one "big" trip a year. Just renewed our passes a few days ago. FP+ has not really affected us, I get some have issue but if they removed the tiers that's about my only grip.

I have faith in AK and DHS with Avatar and Star Wars, plus I have been all over the world (and will continue to travel). Yet no place like WDW, hence why we will keep the AP's.

Ok so I'm not exactly local--I live 2 hours away--but FP+ has negatively affected my desire to spring for AP's again, maybe ever. Since 2001 we've gotten AP's every few years, typically spending more than 20 days in the parks for each pass year. In 2015 we'd be up to do so again, based on our past pattern.

But all this I've read about FP+, coupled with the fact that the kids are older and it's just harder to make a 4 hour round trip day trip at the drop of the hat, well even I don't even want to go. Our last AP year was in 2011. During that time one new ride has been added, while several of our old favorites are no more. New Fantasyland is there now, but I have teens and my younger two are boys, so an increased princess M & G experience is not going to do anything for us. And when I hear of the demise of the EPCOT shows and attractions, it just makes me sad, as that has always been our family's favorite park.

Florida Resident AP's have long been a great deal, but the price continues to go up while the quality keeps going down, at least in our family's experience. Add me to the "Been there, done that, NOT going back" crowd.

We live 2 hours away too. We have weekday select passes right now, but will change them to annual passes hopefully next year. I enjoyed FP+ when we went during Spring break. Without it, I don't think we would have been able to ride any rides. Although we could do a day trip, we don't. We usually stay a few nights when we go down.

I live about 20 minutes away from WDW. I've never had an AP, but I've been going pretty often for years thanks to friends' generosity. However I have spent a lot of time simply on property at Marketplace, Downtown Disney, the hotels, monorail, restaurants, etc.

I haven't used FP+ yet, but I'm curious as to how it will work with maingates. It has been frustrating this past year to not be able to get fastpasses.

The one thing that bothers me the most is how difficult it is to book a restaurant. I adore the Garden View Tea Room, and I used to be able to make a reservation a few days in advance.. now I can't get one for weeks. It's just one of those things that takes away from the benefit of being a local. You can't just swing by on a whim.

I live about 20 minutes away from WDW. I've never had an AP, but I've been going pretty often for years thanks to friends' generosity. However I have spent a lot of time simply on property at Marketplace, Downtown Disney, the hotels, monorail, restaurants, etc.

I haven't used FP+ yet, but I'm curious as to how it will work with maingates. It has been frustrating this past year to not be able to get fastpasses.

The one thing that bothers me the most is how difficult it is to book a restaurant. I adore the Garden View Tea Room, and I used to be able to make a reservation a few days in advance.. now I can't get one for weeks. It's just one of those things that takes away from the benefit of being a local. You can't just swing by on a whim.

That's something that your CM friend or relative can answer probably this week. CMs are getting their MBs. I have no idea how that will effect you.

just chiming in again:
The kids here in Orange have tomorrow in Friday off, so I just went on to see which fp+ were available for today. I was able to get 7DMT and Wishes. We are going tonight after my DD comes back from school. I love being a AP close to the magic.

We were successfully able to link our main gates to MDE yesterday (thank you to PP that told me the instructions were on the Hub). The CM gets a MB, and the spouse pass can be linked to MB (I have 7 and it appears I will be able to use any of my existing MB), but the guests will have to use a guest pass for FP+ and won't be able to use a MB. Last night I was able to get a FP for SDMT for today which surprised me. I'm happy that when we have friends/family in town we won't have to wait until we get in the park to see what is available.

We were successfully able to link our main gates to MDE yesterday (thank you to PP that told me the instructions were on the Hub). The CM gets a MB, and the spouse pass can be linked to MB (I have 7 and it appears I will be able to use any of my existing MB), but the guests will have to use a guest pass for FP+ and won't be able to use a MB. Last night I was able to get a FP for SDMT for today which surprised me. I'm happy that when we have friends/family in town we won't have to wait until we get in the park to see what is available.

Glad you worked it out. ::yes::

As a local we definitely do the parks differently then when we did a true trip to WDW. We often go to enjoy the atmosphere, fireworks, festival or have dinner. Attractions are not a top priority. If the line is short or we can get a FP+ then we do certain rides. No mandate to get everything done. Crowds to bad we leave.

Saying all that the crowds have changed and we have yet to ride 7DMT. We stay away for the MK because it tends to be the worst offender. It seems like if you are staying on property you have more FP+ options and APs have less. We have seen this on several occasions
This year we actually downgraded our APs to seasonal because we were not going as much as we used too and have purchased US APs. Will revisit whether to renew when they expire. One member of our family said she will not renew and wait to see what happens in a year.

Everyone assumes when you live in Fla you have all this time to go to the Beach or the parks. Jobs like everyone else do take up a majority of our time. But we get lackadaisical, the weather or the water conditions are not the best, we know when it will be the most crowded and these are often times deterrants to us going. You also become more concious of the smallest of changes. All the construction, especially DTD is driving us crazy. We just take a different view of WDW and there is lots to do in Orlando and Fla in general that compete for our time.

We're retired and live a chunk of the year 20 minutes from WDW.

Last Winter was frustrating when AP's couldn't reserve FP's yet. We were there for 6 weeks this Summer and being able to reserve FP's SIGNIFICANTLY increased our enjoyment of WDW!!

We go 3-4 times a week (yes, we're spoiled) for 4-5 hours at a time so 3 FP's is just fine. Its not important to us to always have headliners - as other locals have said sometimes we just enjoy hanging out and soaking up the ambiance and having a meal.

We normally would never go on a crowd day with levels higher than 5 (easywdw), but with FP+ we know we'll be able to do our 3 FP's and that's fine. During the 6 weeks we were there this Summer the crowd level estimates were 9 every day but it didn't impact us since we could reserve our FP's - even managed to do 7DMT twice.

After annual trips since 1980 and now 2 seasons of about 5 months of going a few times a week the magic hasn't worn off, and FP+ has made it much more enjoyable.

I am also a "sort of local" ( I live in Altamonte Springs, about an 1/2hour away). I have an AP, although I'm wondering about just making it a Seasonal when I renew. I do like the availablity of just being about to pop-in whenever I want - it makes it so much easier when friends what to visit. My mom is military, so she buys tickets for the rest of the family if needed. But when occasions arise, and she has to visit Disney (she had a conference there this summer), I can go without worrying about buying a ticket. Or when my friend had her bachelor party at Epcot, I could go with no worries.

Our family usually goes together for special events, like the parties, so I am wondering about renewing. Since I have no one to go to Disney with (husband dislikes going to Disney), it seems a little pointless. Plus the crowds are huge now, and I really, really dislike FP+. I never had a problem getting the FP that I wanted under the old system, and I find the new system very limiting. In addition to that, I think that for the money that APs are paying (and the LOYALTY that they have to the brand) we should get a bigger window than 30 days. Heck, I think people who buy Tables in Wonderland (get that card, its a great program) should get a bigger priority than we do. Reason: Clearly, TiW people are interested in actually dining at Disney, and are more likely to eat at the upper-scale places. Thus, a bigger window to make ressies.

But that's just my rant. Disney has made it more difficult for locals, but sometimes I think benefits out way the cons. And there is something relaxing in thinking, "ah well, I can see this on Tuesday".

And speaking of: if anyone wants to go, let me know! I've got a 2yr old who gets really bored at home, and he just loves to see "the Mick"!

The Florida Resident's Seasonal Pass costs less than the Annual Pass. It has blackout dates for certain busy times of the year including summer and holidays like Christmas, New Year's, and Easter. It does not include free parking. I have purchased this pass for many years and like it because it is such a great deal. That being said, when we renew again we are trying (for the first time) the premium annual pass deal that the dvc offered which will include the water parks, golf, and Disney Quest. All these annual passes include the ability to park hop which is nice. If you are a member of AAA you can get a small discount there for the passes and renewals.

The Florida Resident's Seasonal Pass costs less than the Annual Pass. It has blackout dates for certain busy times of the year including summer and holidays like Christmas, New Year's, and Easter. It does not include free parking. I have purchased this pass for many years and like it because it is such a great deal. That being said, when we renew again we are trying (for the first time) the premium annual pass deal that the dvc offered which will include the water parks, golf, and Disney Quest. All these annual passes include the ability to park hop which is nice. If you are a member of AAA you can get a small discount there for the passes and renewals.
I see thank you! Free parking is a bonus :-) 17 bucks is not cheap! Plus nice to park hop. Enjoy the PAP!

Thankfully, that was just a rumor cause it is also our favorite place to eat lunch in MK.
http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorize...est-update-momento-mori-magic-kingdom-101614/

Interesting. I wrote Disney about this and also the standby test only at Toy Story and said that these things were deterring me from getting an AP. Got a call back and the employee confirmed that it was FP only for BOG. Maybe they tried it and went back to the old system. Or he was misinformed.

I do like the availablity of just being about to pop-in whenever I want - it makes it so much easier when friends what to visit...

Heck, I think people who buy Tables in Wonderland (get that card, its a great program) should get a bigger priority than we do. Reason: Clearly, TiW people are interested in actually dining at Disney, and are more likely to eat at the upper-scale places. Thus, a bigger window to make ressies.

I've had so many friends come and visit me since my move to FL, and they all want to go to Disney, even if it's just for a day. Without my AP, I'd be broke from buying Disney tickets, so I agree. Plus, it's nice when I'm having a tight month financially, but need to get out and do something.

I keep thinking about TiW, but haven't bitten the bullet yet. Everyone says it's wonderful, and I think it would encourage me to try a few more sit-down restaurants in the World. I'm sure I'd get my money's worth.

Oh, and not to make this a political thread, but agree on Amendment 1. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter