• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for Insulin Dependant Diabetics at Disney

You all are just AMAZING! OK....I have been practicing.....on my lap....Whew! It is going to take some practicing to master your skills! But, I am going to do it! Thank you so much! :worship:
Good luck. You'll figure out a system that works for you. Like I said earlier as long as you test, that' the important thing. How you do it, doesn't much matter. :) and, I don't know that anyone has ever paid us much attention testing in lines or at tables. I try to keep the meter all contained in it's case - I find it more sanitary for us that way and there is less for people to gawk at.

Next skill is shooting a syringe at a moving 6 year old from 12 paces. :rotfl:

What is really crazy...is that I never SEE anybody testing....EVER.....I must have my head in the clouds... :cloud9: or they are MASTERS at it...How do you give yourself a shot so descreetly? I have to lift my shirt a little...I never see THAT either! I can't do that in front of anybody....

How to teach an old dog new tricks!

What is really crazy...is that I never SEE anybody testing....EVER.....I must have my head in the clouds... :cloud9: or they are MASTERS at it...How do you give yourself a shot so descreetly? I have to lift my shirt a little...I never see THAT either! I can't do that in front of anybody....

How to teach an old dog new tricks!

well, I can't speak to self shooting, but I've never noticed anyone else testing either, or giving shots. I'm just too focused on my own stuff. I like to figure that most others are in their same own little world.

My son pumps now but when he was on shots I'd just grab for the back of his arm and give the shot. Same if we did stomach, shirt just needs a tiny lift. I think even if people saw it they might instantly register "medical" and then forget they ever saw it. It's so quick. Maybe on yourself aim for the love handle area on the side that you hold the pen or syringe. I'm sitting here trying to see just how far I'd have to lift my shirt, and I don't think anyone would notice it. What people would see would be your hands. That's about it. If it's the summer you could try your thigh area, easy to get in shorts. More noticeable probably was me holding the vial and syringe up in the air to fill it.

I'm sure some of the other adults who do their own shots can give more thoughts on it. You'll do great.

We're pumping too, but I've heard that some kids will just give the shot through their jeans and into the leg. At restaurants we always ask for a booth as tables are often in the center of the room it's more on display. But DD is fast and confident. Often I'm not even aware that she's testing.

At one of the family retreats we heard a story from a dad that his dishwasher broke. And he had to disassemble it all only to find a test strip lodged into it. :lmao:

My husband injects through his shirt in restaurants. No one notices or if they do no one says anything.

He will not test or inject in the bathroom. He got an infection in an injection site once and swears it was from injecting in the bathroom, so never again.

I also agree about testing at the table. Once you get practice, it is only a few seconds. My son has been pumping for 4 years, which has made life so much easier for us. But when we do have to give him shots, I do it anywhere. In the 6 years that he has had it I have only been yelled at twice by ignorant and unintelligent bystanders. You need to do what is best for you and testing/giving shots in the bathroom is just gross. I do however change his pump sites in first aid stations which has been wonderful.

I have even helped people test in line for Star Tours - and it was the fastpass line too!

Go where you are comfortable but in general no one is even going to notice you doing it

DS12 tests wherever he is also. He pumps but when we have had pump failures, he can inject through his shirt with no problem. he is a swimmer and also injects through his suit when the need arises.

Trust me, very few people will ever pay attention. DS has been T1D for 10 years now and no one even bats an eye.

I have heard of people just injecting right through their clothes...What if you are wearing jeans....wouldn't the needle bend? Even though I have been injecting for several years...I have only taken two shots per day...once in the morning and once in the evening...which made it a lot easier...Now that I am on the sliding scale...there are issues of testing and taking a shot several times a day...:confused3

I have injected through jeans and have never has a problem with the needle bending.

disney's daughter said:
I use the insulin "pens"...Does that make a difference?

We have used both pens and syringes. Pen needles are shorter. The biggest difference is that you don't have to draw up from a vial.

My twelve yr old dd has type 1 and was diagnosed at age five. She's been pumping most of the time.

She literally tests wherever she is. When we go out to eat she tests at the table. Used to inject there also. It's really easy. Now once at WDW we did go to the restroom to use the little waiting area before you entered the restroom area. Only because it was the Crystal Palace and it was insanely busy and crowded and it just seemed easier to do it someplace where there was less of a chance of being jostled.

On a regular basis she checks all sorts of fun places. The school bus, grocery store aisles, even the checkout lane at Home Depot. I was paying and she felt low. She told me and before I could say a word she whipped out her meter case, set it on the checkout and started testing lol. :rotfl:

I am literally in awe.....:thumbsup2 I still have to spread everything out,,,I have tried just doing it all on my lap...Everything slipped right off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter