Question for Disney World newbies

#1 DOUG Live Fan

<font color="red">I haven't met a pizza yet that I
For those of you who are planning a trip to Walt Disney World for the first time, would you give me a little input? I would like to know 3 (or more) things that are of concern to you as you plan your first trip to the World. I don't care what it is, from the smallest detail to the biggest question or problem you might be facing. All answers are appreciated. I'm just doing a little research.

Thanks,

Liz ;)

Our first trip will be the week of Thanksgiving.

My original concerns were:

1. How much will it all cost and can we afford it?

2. Should we take our camper or stay in a hotel?

3. What should we do each day? How much should I plan ahead?

After reading some of the planning guides and asking lots of questions to friends that have been - I wish I could rethink our trip. I was more concentrating on when would be a good time for our family to miss work and school - that's why I picked Thanksgiving. And I didn't want to go during the hot summer weather. I wish now that we were not going the week I picked. I had no idea that it would be the most crowded week I could have chosen!

I made my reservations for the campground in January - and still couldn't get the arrival dates I wanted.

I had no idea it took so much advance planning. A friend told me about this board. I come and read and try to soak it all in. But to tell you the truth, it's frightening. It's all so overwhelming. Of which loop to camp in, to which day to go to which park, which transportation to use, which ride to get to first, which character meal to go to, how and when to call to get reservations, where to watch which parade, . . . . . .

I feel like the success or failure of our trip all lies on my shoulders. I want this to be fun. But I worry that it will be a disaster.

Sorry - I guess I just kind of unloaded. And it doesn't help that my first post on this board was whether I should sneak my barely 3 year old in as a 2 year old. Boy did I get blasted.

I know this was more info than you wanted!

My biggest concern is when to go. How to plan around vacation times and crowds. We don't like crowds or heat so we plan off season.

My second concern is where to stay.Do we stay where we can afford to stay or where we want to stay?

My last concern is comming up with the money we need!!!

Once we get there there is NO concerns at all!!!

My biggest concerns:

1. General idea of how much this trip would cost (before doing research), and getting the best prices I could.

2. Taking the kids out of school (going Sept. 21-28) and have two kids in Jr high school (one going into 7th the other 9th). Not concerned about the one going into 9th as she has the routine down, but the one entering 7th, this is his first year and will just be getting the hang of things when I'm yanking him. If I had it to do over again might have waited till October.

3. Weather, temperature and crowds

Actually, ttm999, your answer is just fine. As I mentioned, I am just doing research. So if you're feeling overwhelmed, then that's what I wanted to know. These answers are helpful. Thanks.

By the way, take it from me. You are going to be alright. You're going to have a great trip, even if you don't know all the ins and outs of Disney. It's a magical place, and the world just sort of melts away there. You'll see what I mean when you get there. The last thing you want to do is get uptight, or that will put a damper on things. The only other advice I can give is to not try to do EVERYTHING. It's a big place, and it will be impossible. Make sure you've got your Birnbaum's guide, pick out the things you definitely want to do, and save the rest for another visit. I've been there so many times, and I still haven't done everything there is to do. That gives you plenty of reason to go back again. Right?

;)

This isn't my first trip, but on the last one I had no clue and did very little, so for all practical purposes, it's my first trip. And it is the first one for my children. If I fit your criteria for a newbie, here's my .02:

First,
Originally posted by ttm999
I feel like the success or failure of our trip all lies on my shoulders. I want this to be fun. But I worry that it will be a disaster.

This is my biggest concern, actually. I have done all the research (from print and online guides as well as polling family members' wishes) and planning, so I do feel responsible for making this as magical as possible for everyone.

Second, finances: will we be able to afford all the things we want to do? We have done a great job deciding what can wait until next time, but it's been challenging to fit our dreams into a somewhat frugal budget.

Overall safety and security are a concern, but no more than for any other destination. It's just part of going on vacation. In fact, I'm not as concerned about WDW itself as I am about getting there and back.

Does fear of lost luggage count? (Silly, but true)

Eh, we leave in four days and I know I've done all I can, so I'm trying to just relax and enjoy now. Hope this helped you!

Lori

Our (me, wife, and DSs 5 & 8) first trip will be in January.
My initial worries after deciding on our overall budget were:
1) When should we go?
2) Where should we stay?
3) Should we buy a package deal?

After finding these boards and solving those worries, I began working on these:
1) How can we best utilize our time while there?
2) Where can we get the best discounts?
3) What places should we eat at?

1) Cost of the trip - we had an unexpected move into a new house after we started planning this trip, so it's not exactly in our budget like it was before the move, but we decided to go ahead and take the trip anyway

2) Safety during travel - We are driving 1000 miles to get there, and I'm fearful that we'll be in an accident on the way.

3) The weather - I know it will be hot, I just don't want it to be too hot! Or rain too much.

4) The crowds - I'm hopeful that since school is back in session at most locations around the country, that it won't be too crowded and our waiting for rides won't be too long.

5) Where to stay? - there is so much information on these boards about the off-site/on-site debate. That we just decided to do both and make up our own minds!

Teresa

First trip will be late October with myself, DH, and five kids (9yr. to 10 months when we go).

I have to agree with ttm999...OVERWHELMING! I'm so excited for the kids and yet nervous about all the planning that seems to be required to get the most for your money. Love these boards but when I get on them, I get woozy!

My concerns were:
1. Money, money, money!

2. When to go - low crowds. With an already reluctant husband, this was cruical!

3. Where would we all fit?

4. How to absorb everything before we go to make a decent (and do-able) game plan. I KNOW we can't do everything, that's why I have to know about everything so I can sort it down to a reasonable amount.

We will be first time campers (borrowed trailer) to add to our confusion. So far I'm amazed at the costs involved. I don't know how people can afford staying at even a moderate resort, eat all meals out, buy souveiners, park passes..... It has to be cost prohibitive for many families.

The drive from Wisconsin doesn't faze me. We take a lot of fishing trips towing a boat already (yes, with five kids in the van).

More than you needed to know?

Jamie

ONLY 3 top concerns???? Sorry, don't think I can narrow it down!
1) When to time the trip given WDW crowds, weather, deals available AND mine & husband's work schedules & 4 kids' school & lessons' schedules. That was a biggie.

2) The biggest though I guess, even though I've placed it 2nd is CAN We afford this AT ALL?

3) Same feeling as ttm999: all this planning & re-planning & getting it down to REASONABLE expectations given the above 2 concerns. It is overwhelming. I have been planning since last August for our end-of December 2002-Jan 2003 trip. It's taken a long time to cycle through to the expectation that we CAN'T do everything or anywhere near it in Florida, Orlando, or WDW even though this will be our only trip. Also to give myself permission that we don't have to. Also don't tell the rest in the family about everything anymore so they won't be disappointed when we don't do it. I will pack, save, and schedule everything (including meal plans as we'll be camping & have a diabetic daughter), BUT it is not ALL on my shoulders. I can NOT control everything (crowd-levels, children's energy & behaviour levels, ours, eating patterns & ensuing upset tummies/hungry tummies, etc.....) So I have relaxed, given more space in our schedules for relax at tent, or maybe some go again for a ride at Dumbo or some resort-hop or shop, or...Taking my kids for 1 day at an Amusement Park/fair is a big deal. So several days is amazing. No matter what we (& you ttm999) will be with our family at Disney World. Whatever we see or don't see or do we will be far ahead (thanks to all the planning -- The Unofficial Guide and mostly this board) of when we thought this would NEVER be a possibility for us.

Sorry this got so long, but ttm999 REALLY expressed what I HAD been feeling. I also had a beginning post that got me blasted about buying a turning-10 before our trip child a child's AP early when she was still 9 to use when we would be there. Yikes! So glad I just lurked & read for a long time so I wasn't foolish enough to ask questions about fitting 6 in a hotel-room, etc. like some poor people have on here (& many friends up here were recommending we do with ease). Since then I have had (& seen) many wonderful helpful answers on big & small concerns on this board. It gets better ttm999. Just give yourself permission to hold your head up high as the chief planner of this & realize it will NEVER be a failure -- you're at Disney with your family on vacation. Know where the first-aid & health places are & relax with your family. You CAN'T do it all & don't have to!!! Have a GREAT vacation!

I'm glad I'm not alone with my feelings! I do feel like I have to be steps ahead of a lot of people. Most of my friends that have been in the past never did a character meal or anything. I know things (thanks to this board) that they will never know.

I already have reservations for the Princess Breakfast at Epcot - and most people don't even know anything about it!

Hopefully the trip will be great and my advance planning will pay off. I will just try and not stress over the little things! Everything can't be perfect - and even if it's not - we will still have the vacation of a lifetime!

Tina

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter