Question for anyone taking Valium or Xanax..

This was timely, from today. (Not going to post link or article because it's political.)

Barack Obama is still heartbroken over his daughter Malia leaving home for college.

The former president, 57, spoke on Friday spoke on Friday at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, where he was receiving an award for ethics in government - and took the opportunity to make some intimate remarks about his role as a dad.

Drawing on his own experience as the father of a college student, referring to 20-year-old daughter Malia, Obama made it very clear just how much he misses having his eldest daughter around, while urging the crowd of students to pick up their phones every now and then to chat with their 'crying... suffering' parents or send them a message.

'Now that I have a daughter in college, I can tell all the students here: your parents suffer,' he said.

'They cry privately. It is brutal. So please call. Send a text.'

His comments drew chuckles and applause from the crowd. Obama continued: 'We need to hear from you. Just a little something.'

Malia is currently beginning her sophomore year at Harvard University, while Barack and Michelle have remained in Washington, D.C. as their youngest daughter, 17-year-old Sasha, finishes high school.

Both Barack and Michelle Obama looked emotional when they dropped off Malia for her first year at Harvard last year.

The parents kept their sunglasses on as they left her dorm and kept their faces down while making a swift exit in their SUV.

Obama had previously acknowledged that he cried during Malia's high school graduation, and that he was wearing dark sunglasses at the time.

i'm sorry you're so sad Kim. hang in there. the only anti-depressants i know, take at least a month to get into your system, then to get off, you must be under doctor supervision to titrate off. if there are temporary meds that are available, i don't know them and sure would like some myself lol. counseling will definitely help and give you the tools to learn how to cope during the tough spots. and you always have us to talk to. i hope you find peace. and if you can swing it, i would plan a trip in a couple of months to go see her so you have that to look forward to. i have severe depression and it helps me to always have something booked to look forward to. :hug:

Kimblebee, I feel your pain. I’ve been there. However things change quickly. Both my daughters moved out and far away, but both came back. My younger daughter moved out while very young and we were very unhappy about it, but she had to spread her wings. She turned out fine and went back to school, got her degree, had a family and has a very good job. My older daughter moved to BC as soon as she graduated from college, for a job. But she came back too, two years later. We actually talked more when she was far away. She called regularly and kept in touch. I think she was homesick. Good luck. Hope it all works out for you too. Your doctor will have to help you with your medication decision since you are probably on other meds for your condition.

I take Xanax when I fly because I have restless legs and it makes me relaxed enough to fall asleep and not feel like kicking my legs around.
It does not make me in a fog at all. I could be completely alert if you wanted to have a conversation with me.
Its not for depression though.
Neither of those pills are.
They are for anxiety.
If you're having a hard time coping then I'd suggest an anti depressant vs an anti anxiety so something like Zoloftt or Lexapro. Not sure how those make people feel as I have not used them.
Basically what you should do is go into your Dr and explain how you're feeling and they will suggest to you what would be best to take.

I take Xanax when I fly because I have restless legs and it makes me relaxed enough to fall asleep and not feel like kicking my legs around.
It does not make me in a fog at all. I could be completely alert if you wanted to have a conversation with me.
Its not for depression though.
Neither of those pills are.
They are for anxiety.
If you're having a hard time coping then I'd suggest an anti depressant vs an anti anxiety so something like Zoloftt or Lexapro. Not sure how those make people feel as I have not used them.
Basically what you should do is go into your Dr and explain how you're feeling and they will suggest to you what would be best to take.

The problem with mainstream antidepressants such as SSRIs (Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac), NARIs (Edronax), SNRIs (Cymbalta) and so on is that you need to invest time and money in them to get a result and even then you need to taper off them - you can't just take and stop as you please. And often, they're not for everyone. There are TONNES of antidepressants out there, one for everyone, but you probably won't hit the right one right away.

Tranquilisers like Benzos (Valium, Xanax, Lorazepam) and so on just suppress your nervous system, so they will calm you and help you sleep, but probably won't make you feel any happier and are very addictive.

I recommended a VERY low dose of older, tricyclic antidepressants as you can dabble in and out and often score an antidepressant effect and, if you want, a sedating effect too; at low doses you need not taper off really. They're not perfect though. Being old, they can have more side effects than SSRIs et al.

If you're looking for sedatives then Z-drugs such as Zopiclone and Zolpidem could help. Again addictive, but not as much as benzos. Just be wary of taking them every night and you should be fine :)

I take Xanax for when I REALLY need it for anxiety. It knocks me the heck out and keeps my brain from running endlessly about everything. When my dad passed away a few weeks ago, it was the only way I slept. Otherwise I would sit up all night and think.

I also do not take it when I have to work the next day unless it is an emergency because I am very foggy in the morning.

I was given a couple of Xanax tables to be taken in an emergency. A wisdom tooth coming oud classified as an emergency. Thing is, I timed it wrong, so I was fully awake for the op and out of it directly afterwards!

Benzos are highly addictive. You’re better off learning to manage your anxiety without medicating. Especially when it’s situationally. Every mom feels sad wmen their kid leaves the nest. Totally normally, but you’ll adjust in time.

I agree that they are VERY addictive. There aren't many psychiatrists who will prescribe more than a week's worth at a time, at least the experienced ones.

My gran died addicted to Lorazepam.

But, taken in a controlled environment, under supervision and with restraint, they CAN be a force for good :)

The problem with mainstream antidepressants such as SSRIs (Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac), NARIs (Edronax), SNRIs (Cymbalta) and so on is that you need to invest time and money in them to get a result and even then you need to taper off them - you can't just take and stop as you please. And often, they're not for everyone. There are TONNES of antidepressants out there, one for everyone, but you probably won't hit the right one right away.

Tranquilisers like Benzos (Valium, Xanax, Lorazepam) and so on just suppress your nervous system, so they will calm you and help you sleep, but probably won't make you feel any happier and are very addictive.

I recommended a VERY low dose of older, tricyclic antidepressants as you can dabble in and out and often score an antidepressant effect and, if you want, a sedating effect too; at low doses you need not taper off really. They're not perfect though. Being old, they can have more side effects than SSRIs et al.

If you're looking for sedatives then Z-drugs such as Zopiclone and Zolpidem could help. Again addictive, but not as much as benzos. Just be wary of taking them every night and you should be fine :)

My nightly cocktail of pills include Zopiclone and Amitriptylene for good measure. The Zopiclone definitely makes me loopy.

My dr says I’m addicted because I’ve been on it for two years and I always ask him not to take me off it. I can not sleep without it. To me, being addicted means I abuse it or sell it for something else or something negative. I guess if you can be addicted to sleeping then I am addicted to the pill lol
I could stop taking it but I know it means my sleep would end.

During the last fews weeks of my mother's life, when we knew nothing could help and all we could do was wait, I still had to be out and about. Just answering concerned friends' questions would make me cry, so I would take half of a 1mg Ativan. It would take the edge off without making me sleepy, and I could get through the moment. But I didn't take them on any kind of a regular time table, just in crisis situation. I take Lexapro on a daily basis for anxiety, but it didn't help with the sadness.

Edit to answer above poster: My doctor and I agree that I am NOT addicted to Ambien (I don't think about it, I don't crave it, I need it to sleep) but I am dependent on it. I didn't sleep before I started taking it, and I don't sleep if I don't take it now. There is a difference between addicted and dependent.

During the last fews weeks of my mother's life, when we knew nothing could help and all we could do was wait, I still had to be out and about. Just answering concerned friends' questions would make me cry, so I would take half of a 1mg Ativan. It would take the edge off without making me sleepy, and I could get through the moment. But I didn't take them on any kind of a regular time table, just in crisis situation. I take Lexapro on a daily basis for anxiety, but it didn't help with the sadness.

Edit to answer above poster: My doctor and I agree that I am NOT addicted to Ambien (I don't think about it, I don't crave it, I need it to sleep) but I am dependent on it. I didn't sleep before I started taking it, and I don't sleep if I don't take it now. There is a difference between addicted and dependent.

Apparently there's also a differentiation between those two terms and habituation. I'm miffed if I know what that difference is though!

My nightly cocktail of pills include Zopiclone and Amitriptylene for good measure. The Zopiclone definitely makes me loopy.

My dr says I’m addicted because I’ve been on it for two years and I always ask him not to take me off it. I can not sleep without it. To me, being addicted means I abuse it or sell it for something else or something negative. I guess if you can be addicted to sleeping then I am addicted to the pill lol

Physical addiction is when, if you stop taking the medication (or whatever), you have a fairly severe reaction. When you miss that dose, at whatever interval, you have a negative reaction.

A psychological addiction is a bit different.

And to another point about benzos, a "top" psychiatrist that I spoke with says that Xanax is one of the best meds out there for panic disorder and has little to no side effects as other meds do. It gets a bad rap. It is very addictive, as all benzos are, but under careful and watchful monitoring it has helped many people deal with panic and you can get off of it with a careful downward titration process. It should not be casually prescribed for more than a few days by a GP. If you need it permanently you need a professional for that.

Kimblebee, how do you feel with the amitriptylene? A few months ago I was having severe sleeping issues and some anxiety problems. I toughed my way through it with no meds; however, my doctor suggested the amitriptylene. I was afraid to take it but heard some good things about it for sleep.

My daughter is moving away in November and I am having a really hard time accepting it. Honestly, if it wasn’t for my husband, I’d strongly consider moving to stay close to her.

I know I have to let her go and spread her wings and all that, but I can’t imagine her not being here, walking around with her messy hair and funny pyjamas every morning.

I was a single parent for 11 years so we are as close as close can be.

Anyway, to the point of this thread. I’m considering asking my dr to prescribe something to me, just to take the edge off until she’s gone..and maybe a week or two after she’s gone and I adjust.

My fear is that if I get a prescription from my dr, the new pill will put me in a fog. I don’t want that, I want to remember her remaining time here..I just want to stop crying every second night.

I know counselling would work too, and I’m looking into that, but any place we can afford has a 6-8 week waiting period.

So, if you are on, or have been on some sort of depressant, did you feel like you were in a fog all the time or was it more that you knew what was happening, and it just didn’t really affect you like it normally would?

A doctor could ask more pointed questions to be sure, but what you're describing is more apprehension than anxiety. Anti-anxiety meds will just make you sleepy if you're not truly anxious.

My experience: I've suffered from depression since the birth of my first child and take an SSRI every day. In September 2015, my mom entered hospice. At the time, we lived in France but were planning on moving back in less than 6 months. I had said my goodbyes already and she wasn't aware of much, so I decided not to return home until her funeral. I thought I was okay, but a couple of days after the hospice paperwork was signed, I happened to be at my doctor's office. She asked me how everything was going, and I told her it was "fine". She confronted me about how I'd been unable to sit still during our 15 minute consult and told me my heart was racing. Then she demanded I tell her what was really happening. I burst into tears and just totally lost it. I left there with an Rx for Xanax, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. She gave me a referral to a counselor who taught me to recognize the signs of anxiety (for ME, snapping at everyone, heart racing, feeling a general sense of urgency for no reason) and some strategies...but above all else, 1/4 mg of Xanax and 20 minutes later it was like I had a sense of calm.

That makes sense. I would definitely say I’m dependent on my Zopiclone, but not addicted.

Physical addiction is when, if you stop taking the medication (or whatever), you have a fairly severe reaction. When you miss that dose, at whatever interval, you have a negative reaction.

A psychological addiction is a bit different.

And to another point about benzos, a "top" psychiatrist that I spoke with says that Xanax is one of the best meds out there for panic disorder and has little to no side effects as other meds do. It gets a bad rap. It is very addictive, as all benzos are, but under careful and watchful monitoring it has helped many people deal with panic and you can get off of it with a careful downward titration process. It should not be casually prescribed for more than a few days by a GP. If you need it permanently you need a professional for that.

Kimblebee, how do you feel with the amitriptylene? A few months ago I was having severe sleeping issues and some anxiety problems. I toughed my way through it with no meds; however, my doctor suggested the amitriptylene. I was afraid to take it but heard some good things about it for sleep.

I take it for a specific type of headache. It helps with them and the sleeping is an added bonus. My dr tried to take me off them after three months and the headaches came back and the sleep went away. So, I’m back on them. I haven’t noticed any side effects.

I think the sedation of the drug will just make your depression worse. If it was anxiety based I could understand the need, but taking these for what you describe seems like a huge step in the wrong direction.
I totally agree. It sounds like the OP is suffering from depression, and Xanax or Valium (or any benzo) will make things worse. Plus, benzos are extremely addictive or they create dependency.

You are physically dependent on the med to sleep. Yes you are addicted. Not being able to sleep without it means you're addicted. It's no different then somebody being addicted to Oxy or benzos. Once you start down the road of taking pills to solve problems...its hard to turn back. Do you exercise? Exercise helps with depression, anxiety and insomnia.

I agree that they are VERY addictive. There aren't many psychiatrists who will prescribe more than a week's worth at a time, at least the experienced ones.

My gran died addicted to Lorazepam.

But, taken in a controlled environment, under supervision and with restraint, they CAN be a force for good :)
What do mean by controlled environment? Outside of the hospital when are things controlled?

You are physically dependent on the med to sleep. Yes you are addicted. Not being able to sleep without it means you're addicted. It's no different then somebody being addicted to Oxy or benzos. Once you start down the road of taking pills to solve problems...its hard to turn back. Do you exercise? Exercise helps with depression, anxiety and insomnia.

I wasn’t sleeping long before I took a sleeping pills. I tried several of my dr suggestions before we settled on trying a sleeping pill. I will listen to others who said that I am dependant, but not addicted. I could throw out the pills tomorrow and never take one again. But, I would be miserable surviving on the 1-2 hours a night I was getting.

Despite what people think, sometimes medication IS the answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter