• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about Wish & Room Lights

kiford

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if you need to use your card to keep the lights on in staterooms on the Wish (like you have to on the Fantasy and Dream)? We usually bring an old room card to use so we don't forget to take our current ones out when we leave the room, but I won't bother digging an old one up unless it's necessary,

Does anyone know if you need to use your card to keep the lights on in staterooms on the Wish (like you have to on the Fantasy and Dream)? We usually bring an old room card to use so we don't forget to take our current ones out when we leave the room, but I won't bother digging an old one up unless it's necessary,
Yes, key card needed.

Yes, As you mentioned I took an old card from a previous cruise and kept it in the slot to keep the lights on rather than using the current key card so I did not have to worry about forgetting the room key card when ever we left the room. Kept the old card in the slot until we disembarked.

We brought an old card when we sailed in August, but there was already a placeholder card of sorts in the slot when we arrived.
A nice added feature regarding lighting is there are nightlights in the bathrooms on the Wish.

Yes, As you mentioned I took an old card from a previous cruise and kept it in the slot to keep the lights on rather than using the current key card so I did not have to worry about forgetting the room key card when ever we left the room. Kept the old card in the slot until we disembarked.
We did this on the Fantasy in September and every time our room steward came in she (presumably) took it out. Not all the way, she just lifted it up far enough to 'disengage it.' Was really confused the first few times we came back to the room and couldn't figure out why the lights didn't work. Then I got in the habit of checking every time we came back.

I get it, the whole point of that is to be environmentally friendly and not leave lights on when you're not in the room. But we always turned the lights off every time we left.

I get it, the whole point of that is to be environmentally friendly and not leave lights on when you're not in the room. But we always turned the lights off every time we left.

And that the ship has to make it's own electricity, so taking the card out when you're not in the room reduces the load on the ship's generator. Not by much on it's own, but multiply that by the number of staterooms on board and it becomes significant.

We did this on the Fantasy in September and every time our room steward came in she (presumably) took it out. Not all the way, she just lifted it up far enough to 'disengage it.' Was really confused the first few times we came back to the room and couldn't figure out why the lights didn't work. Then I got in the habit of checking every time we came back.

I was expecting our room Steward to do the same but he didn't touch our card.

you can use any card. it doesn't have to be a disney cruise card. i just picked a random card from my wallet (caesars rewards card) on our last cruise.

We did this on the Fantasy in September and every time our room steward came in she (presumably) took it out.
I don’t like using my own card because I’m afraid I’ll forget it which I kept doing the first time on the Dream. On the Fantasy we’d take it out as we left the room and put in the closet on one of the low shelves. We brought an old room card from a prior cruise so it’s time to dig for one!

And that the ship has to make it's own electricity, so taking the card out when you're not in the room reduces the load on the ship's generator. Not by much on it's own, but multiply that by the number of staterooms on board and it becomes significant.
Even if all the lights in the stateroom are off (honest question; I assumed as long as all lights were off there wasn't a difference, but perhaps that was an incorrect assumption)?

Even if all the lights in the stateroom are off (honest question; I assumed as long as all lights were off there wasn't a difference, but perhaps that was an incorrect assumption)?

I'm thinking the switch inside where the room key goes must be like a master switch for all the lights in the room and that's why they're so adamant about making sure the card is removed if you're not in the room. Just my thoughts.

I put a small magnetic strip on the back of a card at one end. The other end goes in the slot. When we leave the room, we just take it out and stick it to the wall above the slot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter