Question about TSA precheck and documents needed.

Thank you for your effort, but I had gone through that. Spoke with a few people there. They were the ones that mentioned go back to the church, maybe they have a copy or check with surrounding counties, maybe I was mistaken where it was filed.

When I needed a copy of my marriage license (for my passport) I had to go to the city/town record hall where the church was located to get a copy.

When I needed a copy of my marriage license (for my passport) I had to go to the city/town record hall where the church was located to get a copy.
For unknown reasons, the court doesn't have it and the church has changed hands and new people threw out all the old records.

But in most cases, your suggests would work.

Really depends on the state and sometimes city. It’s a county function in my state. But the kicker is that a marriage license in California is valid for a ceremony anywhere in the state.

A coworker of mine wanted to get married at San Francisco City Hall (they have a consolidated city/county government) and was having problem getting there for the license. He could reserve a ceremony slot online. They were going to take a day off from work for the ceremony, but another trip for the license was going to be difficult since they lived/worked in Silicon Valley. I suggested getting the license from Santa Clara County. The license has to be sent to the issuing county clerk to be filed. So theoretically a couple could obtain a license close to home but then get married in another county in the state.

It’s weird in California. The state takes custody of the original marriage license/certificate after each county records it. They can normally issue certificates, by mail or Vitalcheck, but there’s a window (when we got married) where they just won’t do it and refer people to the counties.

Really depends on the state and sometimes city. It’s a county function in my state. But the kicker is that a marriage license in California is valid for a ceremony anywhere in the state.

A coworker of mine wanted to get married at San Francisco City Hall (they have a consolidated city/county government) and was having problem getting there for the license. He could reserve a ceremony slot online. They were going to take a day off from work for the ceremony, but another trip for the license was going to be difficult since they lived/worked in Silicon Valley. I suggested getting the license from Santa Clara County. The license has to be sent to the issuing county clerk to be filed. So theoretically a couple could obtain a license close to home but then get married in another county in the state.

It’s weird in California. The state takes custody of the original marriage license/certificate after each county records it. They can normally issue certificates, by mail or Vitalcheck, but there’s a window (when we got married) where they just won’t do it and refer people to the counties.
Same in NYS and I'd no idea it was different in some other states until this thread.

Same in NYS and I'd no idea it was different in some other states until this thread.
I understand NYC is completely separate. I remember the ceremony at the Manhattan Marriage Bureau from the Taiwanese flick The Wedding Banquet.

I heard somewhere that the Manhattan Marriage Bureau processes more marriage licenses than any other government office the US. I would have thought it was the Clark County Clerk for all the Vegas weddings.

I'm Canadian but was married at WDW - we sent for a mail order licence from a county in FL that does them that way so that we wouldn't have to take a day out of our vacation to go to the local county clerk's office. Easy!

I understand NYC is completely separate. I remember the ceremony at the Manhattan Marriage Bureau from the Taiwanese flick The Wedding Banquet.

I heard somewhere that the Manhattan Marriage Bureau processes more marriage licenses than any other government office the US. I would have thought it was the Clark County Clerk for all the Vegas weddings.
NYC's 5 counties (AKA boroughs) are still under the jurisdiction of NYS thus a marriage license issued within NYC can still be used throughout all the counties of the state and the other way around. There are many rules/regulations and laws that only apply to NYC but to the best of my knowledge getting married isn't one of them:).

I got my marriage license in Manhattan but we were married in Brooklyn.....errr it'd be fine if I found out the ceremony was invalid. Oops.

Love that movie!

NYC's 5 counties (AKA boroughs) are still under the jurisdiction of NYS thus a marriage license issued within NYC can still be used throughout all the counties of the state and the other way around. There are many rules/regulations and laws that only apply to NYC but to the best of my knowledge getting married isn't one of them:).

I got my marriage license in Manhattan but we were married in Brooklyn.....errr it'd be fine if I found out the ceremony was invalid. Oops.

Love that movie!

OK. I thought maybe it was only valid in NYC. But of course that should include Brooklyn unless they've recently seceded. Now that I looked it up, marriage licenses issued by cities/counties being valid anywhere within the same US state seems to be the norm.

I'm probably confusing it with the NYC birth certificate process. I know they're very specific that they don't forward original birth certificates to the state like other cities do. The state info on birth certificates is very specific that they don't have official birth records for NYC but should for any other city. I thought maybe it would be a county function, but NY doesn't technically have any unincorporated areas?

OK. I thought maybe it was only valid in NYC. But of course that should include Brooklyn unless they've recently seceded. Now that I looked it up, marriage licenses issued by cities/counties being valid anywhere within the same US state seems to be the norm.

I'm probably confusing it with the NYC birth certificate process. I know they're very specific that they don't forward original birth certificates to the state like other cities do. The state info on birth certificates is very specific that they don't have official birth records for NYC but should for any other city. I thought maybe it would be a county function, but NY doesn't technically have any unincorporated areas?
LOL to Brooklyn's seceding. They haven't been a part of the the city long enough to want to leave. Yet;). Normally, the secession movements in my lifetime have revolved around the entire city leaving the state or country but so far that hasn't happened either.

NYC keeps it's own records of births and deaths but I've no idea if they give a copy to NYS as well. When I need either a birth or death certificate I write a money order to the city. The city does report these events to the Feds though. As far as unincorporated areas within the state, probably none exist as per the state's Constitution although there are wide swaths of certain counties listed as "forever wild" (again by the state Constitution) and I'm not sure what the legal designation is for them but those areas are administered by the state.

NYC has many many MANY exceptions to the rules/regulations and laws of the rest of the state and is alone in this with the exception of various Indian reservations, most of which are recognized by both the state and federal government.

We just renewed our passports a few weeks ago. All we needed to send in was a check and our current passports to be cancelled. I had already proven my name change and citizenship with my initial passport, so I did not need to do it again.
How long did it take to get your new passport? Also, if you have both a passport book and card, do you need to send in both?

Interesting thing about pre-check - I've learned that if you have it and you buy tickets for someone who doesn't have it, that person ends up with Precheck as well. Maybe this is common knowledge? But I didn't realize it before it happened. I go on a ton of business trips with my best friend (we work in the same department at my job), and I always purchase the tickets because that means both of us get Precheck (she doesn't have it).

How long did it take to get your new passport? Also, if you have both a passport book and card, do you need to send in both?
We got them in two weeks, from the time they were accepted to getting them. The website said processing was taking 6-8 weeks but it only took two.

We only applied to renew our passport books, not cards.

Interesting thing about pre-check - I've learned that if you have it and you buy tickets for someone who doesn't have it, that person ends up with Precheck as well. Maybe this is common knowledge? But I didn't realize it before it happened. I go on a ton of business trips with my best friend (we work in the same department at my job), and I always purchase the tickets because that means both of us get Precheck (she doesn't have it).
Yes, if you are on the same itinerary, everyone gets pre check.

Yes, if you are on the same itinerary, everyone gets pre check.

Our Dec trip, my DS's family traveled with us, all one confirmation number, but two different home addresses. My DS has paid precheck. He got precheck (which he should), but not his wife. I got free precheck coming home but not my DH. The kids are under 12, so don't need it for them.

Now perhaps, since I booked the flights, maybe that made the difference.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter