Question about Traansfer Boards

BillM

Mouseketeer
I've heard of them but never seen one. Is there such a thing ? If so how do they stay in place without out falling down and how do they work. Also where do you buy them ?
I think I could use one if they exist to use with my power chair to move "safely" to chairs, sofas, beds etc.
Anuone ever used one ?

I learned how to transfer with a transfer board when I was first injured, in 1984. As I got older I discovered them to just be a pain and learned how to transfer without one.

You can probably find them at any medical supply store, or Google them.

The hospital where I work does teach people to use transfer boards. (I'm a nurse, but I don't work directly with patients at this time). Transfer boards are especially good when people are first injured and haven't built up strength or if something happens that makes it harder to transfer.

One of the 'pains' of using one is that it's another piece of equipment that you have to have where you can reach it when you need it.

One of the ones I know they use is the Beasy Tran. If you scroll down the page, there is a link to the instruction sheet.

There are other more simple (and less expensive) types like on this site. One advantage of the Beasy Tran compared to a regular transfer board is that the Beasy Tran 'seat' slides along the board, making it easier to move across the board.

I have 2 transfer boards. They are both wood, sometimes it is easy to transfer somtimes it isn't. The shiney basketball shorts are the best, but in the winter jeans can be a beast to transfer in.

They come in 2 sizes. I beleve a 24", and a 36". You should be able to find them at a mobility store.

Unfortunately we have graduated to a hoyer-type lift but prior to that we used transfer boards with my wife quite extensively. We have each of the three types, Beasy, wood with slots, and plastic w/o slots. My wife needed my assistance to slide transfer and the Beasy was the easiest and safest for most transfers. Once underneath you, just the disc slides across. No matter what board it is not always easy to get it sufficiently underneath you for a safe transfer. It is a lot easier to remove though. For boards other than the beasy, you want one that you will slide easily on and preferably one with one or two holes/slots to hold on to keep the board stable and safe (if you don't slide well on the board or don't get on it well enough, you and the board will want to slide rather than just you). A long board can also be handy in certain situations where you can't get real close and you want to make sure you have enough board at each end to be safe. We had a generic carrying bag attached to the back of my wife's power chair and a transfer board easily stored between the bag and the back of the chair resting on the base. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter