• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about the internet, what is permissable, etc.

I get that. And I know you mean well. Yet, the parents dressed the kid that day and gave her the umbrella to carry. I assume they probably brought their own camera since they were on vacation. While they wouldn't have the angle you had, they have every opportunity to take pics of their own daughter in the red tutu with the Disney umbrella.

Instead a stranger took a photo. . . and posted it on social media. [Forget the part about doing it to find them.]

How does that sound to you?

I did see a news story of how a woman was snapping pics of the outside of a church. She saw a couple off to the side in an alcove. When the man knelt down in front of his partner, she realized she caught the moment he was proposing to the woman. She ran down and around to let them know she took their photo and would give it to them. But, she didn't make it over to them before they had walked away somewhere. She had that photo for 10 years before she decided to post it on Facebook to find them. She found them and it made the news. It was a sweet moment.

I don't have a problem with the situation above. Both of the people in the photo were adults. Personally, because your photo is of a minor, I wouldn't do it. It sounds like a potential keg of dynamite. You don't know how the parents are going to react. You know that saying, "No good deed goes unpunished." :duck:

You could describe the photo on FB. The parents would still recognize the description of their child.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I was just thinking. When you go to Disney and you get those pictures on the rides, let's say Splash Mountain. You can see other people in the picture, it's not just you in the boat. Am I supposed to try to get a waiver from those people before I can post my pictures on Facebook, etc. Odds are there will be minors in those pictures.

I was just thinking. When you go to Disney and you get those pictures on the rides, let's say Splash Mountain. You can see other people in the picture, it's not just you in the boat. Am I supposed to try to get a waiver from those people before I can post my pictures on Facebook, etc. Odds are there will be minors in those pictures.

If you post a photo such as that on your Facebook account/profile/album, you presumably aren't receiving direct monetary gain from that when you do so.

I had a similar problem to the OP.

One of my favourite photos was of a young girl in Venice with the pigeons... a once in a lifetime shot. Do I publish it as art? Or do I hold back because I am nothing to do with the girl?

Technically Disney would own the rights to the pictures. I'm sure somewhere in the small print when you get the pictures there's a waiver for you to post on FB & Social Media, as long as you don't sell them.

I had a similar problem to the OP.

One of my favourite photos was of a young girl in Venice with the pigeons... a once in a lifetime shot. Do I publish it as art? Or do I hold back because I am nothing to do with the girl?
It's totally your choice. The worst that would happen would be someone asking you to take it down.

I get that. And I know you mean well. Yet, the parents dressed the kid that day and gave her the umbrella to carry. I assume they probably brought their own camera since they were on vacation. While they wouldn't have the angle you had, they have every opportunity to take pics of their own daughter in the red tutu with the Disney umbrella.

Instead a stranger took a photo. . . and posted it on social media. [Forget the part about doing it to find them.]

How does that sound to you?

I did see a news story of how a woman was snapping pics of the outside of a church. She saw a couple off to the side in an alcove. When the man knelt down in front of his partner, she realized she caught the moment he was proposing to the woman. She ran down and around to let them know she took their photo and would give it to them. But, she didn't make it over to them before they had walked away somewhere. She had that photo for 10 years before she decided to post it on Facebook to find them. She found them and it made the news. It was a sweet moment.

I don't have a problem with the situation above. Both of the people in the photo were adults. Personally, because your photo is of a minor, I wouldn't do it. It sounds like a potential keg of dynamite. You don't know how the parents are going to react. You know that saying, "No good deed goes unpunished." :duck:

You could describe the photo on FB. The parents would still recognize the description of their child.
Legit question-Have you ever read a Trip Report here on the DIS? Good lord there must be thousands of unnamed and 'never asked for permission to use photo' individuals (both adult and minor) in those photos throughout all the countless Trip Reports. No one is doing anything nefarious in posting those photos.

Technically Disney would own the rights to the pictures. I'm sure somewhere in the small print when you get the pictures there's a waiver for you to post on FB & Social Media, as long as you don't sell them.
Yeah for PhotoPass Photos (which includes on ride photos) Disney gives you a Limited License usage with them to be used for your own personal, non-commercial usage and there's no issue to post to your social media if it's your personal one. Where it might be different is if your social media is for a business as that would likely fall under commercial usage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter