Question about resale

For informational purposes - I bought and sold a stripped 50 pt BRV last year. I listed it for $25/pp more than I bought it, and it sold within a day.

As others pointed out, the difference in price on small contracts don’t amount to too much. I wasn’t looking to profit (and didn’t, after commission and taxes); I bought a small CCV contract in the interim that better fit my needs and didn’t want both contracts.

Of course, last night my husband was looking up the Polynesian and really liked the monorail option as well as the larger studios. (Theming is just 'meh' for us compared to WL.) But I told him Poly points cost a lot more. And I don't think I'd ever buy points some place without staying there first anyway.
The siren song of the lower upfront costs and lower point charts of the 2042 resorts…..

The siren song of the lower upfront costs and lower point charts of the 2042 resorts…..
Got to say, that's one reason we tend to stay at our "true" home resorts (CCV/BRV and AKV) is that the point charts are SO MUCH NICER. We debate trying for other places at the 7 month mark, but the point charts at newer places are so much more.

The cabins look like they might be different, and I am certain we will plan a stay there at a time we intend to do more of a resort stay.

Yeah....it's tricky. I feel like BRV would make more sense for us with the lower cost/points since we'd only go every other year or maybe even longer between some trips. (And who knows if we'll even want to keep going to WDW after 2042 when we're in our 60s.) I think 50 points would work for a studio for 6 nights each time. (We'd need more than 50 for Poly, I think.)

But I'm still not sure if the price for BRV even makes sense or not when you add in yearly dues until 2042. Maybe just staying moderate would make more sense. But....who knows what moderates will cost in 10 years to really get a good comparison. I don't know...my thoughts are all over the place.

Yeah....it's tricky. I feel like BRV would make more sense for us with the lower cost/points since we'd only go every other year or maybe even longer between some trips. (And who knows if we'll even want to keep going to WDW after 2042 when we're in our 60s.) I think 50 points would work for a studio for 6 nights each time. (We'd need more than 50 for Poly, I think.)

But I'm still not sure if the price for BRV even makes sense or not when you add in yearly dues until 2042. Maybe just staying moderate would make more sense. But....who knows what moderates will cost in 10 years to really get a good comparison. I don't know...my thoughts are all over the place.
<AstroBlasters recoils when he reads “maybe just stay in Moderates”>

Don't forget that renting points is an option, too.

Hey....considering almost all of my previous WDW trips were off site or value...moderate is good to me. Ha!

I've thought about that but the lack of cancellation/change options kind of freaks me out.
I jest of course as places like Coronado Springs look like really nice resorts.

I equate them to staying at the Westin or Marriott Theme Park at DL… nice places that still cost a fair amount of $

I just think about the cost of a hotel room for 6-days relative to a small contract that I could use at WDW, VGC (maybe?), and Aulani….

So 7 nights at BRV Studio in Feb 134 points. Let’s say a 50pt contract is $121pp (quote from our for friends at the board sponsor).

So that is $6000/17 remaining years or $353/yr / $1059 every 3 years.

Dues would be $434/yr or $1302 every 3 years.

So it’s $2,361 every 3 years which would be $337 a night….. plus you get an extra day here or there to play with…. and no transient tax that the hotels charge….

That seems like a pretty darn good deal to me for BRV….

Circling back. I'm in ROFR right now on a VGC contract and I'm putting the whole thing on the credit card. Cammy's title company allows $7500 with no fee and the rest with 3%

EDIT: Fee above $7500 is 3.25% not 3%

Last edited:
I jest of course as places like Coronado Springs look like really nice resorts.

I equate them to staying at the Westin or Marriott Theme Park at DL… nice places that still cost a fair amount of $

I just think about the cost of a hotel room for 6-days relative to a small contract that I could use at WDW, VGC (maybe?), and Aulani….

So 7 nights at BRV Studio in Feb 134 points. Let’s say a 50pt contract is $121pp (quote from our for friends at the board sponsor).

So that is $6000/17 remaining years or $353/yr / $1059 every 3 years.

Dues would be $434/yr or $1302 every 3 years.

So it’s $2,361 every 3 years which would be $337 a night….. plus you get an extra day here or there to play with…. and no transient tax that the hotels charge….

That seems like a pretty darn good deal to me for BRV….

Yeah, that's sort of where my brain is at. Especially considering moderates will likely cost even more several years down the road. I think we could actually manage just about every other year, in January, 6 nights in a BRV studio on just a 50 pt contract. And of course, if we ever wanted more, for a 1 bedroom or more often trips,...we could look for another contract down the road. 😁

Circling back. I'm in ROFR right now on a VGC contract and I'm putting the whole thing on the credit card. Cammy's title company allows $7500 with no fee and the rest with 3%.

Nice. Where is Cammy working now? I know shortly after we got our contract, she left https://www.masontitle.com/

Yeah, that's sort of where my brain is at. Especially considering moderates will likely cost even more several years down the road. I think we could actually manage just about every other year, in January, 6 nights in a BRV studio on just a 50 pt contract. And of course, if we ever wanted more, for a 1 bedroom or more often trips,...we could look for another contract down the road. 😁

Nice. Where is Cammy working now? I know shortly after we got our contract, she left https://www.masontitle.com/
She's at dvcclosings.com now.

Do you still have to do a wire transfer even if the purchase amount isn't as high? Or can you just use a debit or credit card for smaller contracts?
Just wanted to follow up on this with my experience today:

Our total owed for our small contract was $6170 and we did a $5,000 deposit via credit card through dvcclosings.com when we signed the contract. We could have done a higher deposit (up to $7,500) but didn't know what our final total would be and didn't want to pay too much and have to deal with reimbursement.

When we got our closing docs today they included a link with the option to pay the $1,170 balance via credit card, or we could wire the funds like we had to with our first 2 contracts. The credit card payment included a 3.2% fee that the initial deposit didn't, which amounted to about $38. I was happy to pay the extra $38 to avoid having to go to the bank in person to wire funds, especially since my bank charges a $30 wire fee.

In hindsight we could have saved a little bit more by doing a $6,000 fee-free deposit and paying the 3.2% on a smaller final amount, but I'm not upset at all and am happy we were able to sign and pay the balance within minutes of getting our closing docs.

A word of caution about wires: NEVER believe wire instructions that you receive by email, even if it appears that the email comes from the broker. There have been many cases of scammers hacking into emails and posing as someone you are doing business with, giving fraudulent wire instructions. And once you have wired money to a scammer, it is usually gone for good. Always contact the broker to confirm wire instructions (using a phone number that you are sure is really them). If in any doubt do it the old-fashioned way and send a cashier’s or certified check by FedEx or UPS.
This is very good advice! I work at a bank and we caution clients all the time as well as look up the broker or attorney information on google and call them directly to verify the information before wiring the funds. Be very cautious because once funds are wired there is little to nothing we can do to get it back.

This is very good advice! I work at a bank and we caution clients all the time as well as look up the broker or attorney information on google and call them directly to verify the information before wiring the funds. Be very cautious because once funds are wired there is little to nothing we can do to get it back.

Yep...when we did our VGC contract last year and it needed to be wired...we googled and called to check instructions before going to the bank.

Update - we are in ROFR for a 50 pt BRV contact and we put the entire amount (around $5500) down on a credit card for our "deposit." So it's just in escrow waiting for ROFR and then closing. It's nice for my anxiety to be able to avoid a trip to the bank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter