Question about resale

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
When we purchased our resale contract last year, our total price was around $40,000 and we had to go to our bank to wire the funds over.

Do you still have to do a wire transfer even if the purchase amount isn't as high? Or can you just use a debit or credit card for smaller contracts?

I just purchased 40 points at BLT and had to wire the funds over. I suppose it depends on the seller or broker.

Ours was a little over $15k total. We were able to put up to $7500 on a card for a deposit. The rest either needed to be wired or a certified check.

A word of caution about wires: NEVER believe wire instructions that you receive by email, even if it appears that the email comes from the broker. There have been many cases of scammers hacking into emails and posing as someone you are doing business with, giving fraudulent wire instructions. And once you have wired money to a scammer, it is usually gone for good. Always contact the broker to confirm wire instructions (using a phone number that you are sure is really them). If in any doubt do it the old-fashioned way and send a cashier’s or certified check by FedEx or UPS.

Usually the closing companies allow a max of $7500 to be put on CC. Anything above that has to be wired or sent in a certified check.

When we purchased our resale contract last year, our total price was around $40,000 and we had to go to our bank to wire the funds over.

Do you still have to do a wire transfer even if the purchase amount isn't as high? Or can you just use a debit or credit card for smaller contracts?
It depends on the title company.

I’d specifically request to go with the one who lets you do $7500 and then put that on a 0% interest for 21m credit card with a sign up bonus.

I've been eye balling contracts in the $5500 (plus closing) range so it would be cool to put in on a CC, if possible, to earn some points. And also avoid the awkwardness of going to the bank to wire money for a timeshare. Ha!

It depends on the title company.

I’d specifically request to go with the one who lets you do $7500 and then put that on a 0% interest for 21m credit card with a sign up bonus.
Did this exact thing with my recent CCV purchase 👌🏼 I think anything above the initial $7500 deposit has a 2/3% charge (at least it was in my case) which kind of cancelled out the cash back I got for the purchase but I was mostly in it for the the year+ interest free aspect anyway.

Unrelated question....

I don't suppose anyone know if 50 pt contracts at BRV are hard to come by? Or if they happen to pop up fairly often??

Good to know. Thanks! We have no idea what we want to do so I don't really want to jump into anymore contracts until we're certain on a plan. But then I always worry about missing out if there aren't many out there, you know? It's a fine line.

We got it for $100/pt fully loaded with 100 points from 2023 and only reimbursed for 2024 maintenance fees. I tried to negotiate to have the seller pay the broker fee but they refused so that essentially adds another $4.50/pt.

That's a fantastic price, especially fully loaded. We paid more for our 50-pointer BRV and it had zero banked points, but was not stripped either. Already booked it for next December!

As someone mentioned previously, they do go fast so FOMO took over. The same seller posted another one the following day and that one also was gone within a day.

But the nice thing about a small contract is that "overpaying" by 10%-15% is still just a few hundred dollars... Gotta keep that in perspective too.

Absolutely! I try to look at the bigger picture when others are going back and forth and not making deals over a relatively small amount of money.

I saw this one pop up and made an offer immediately even though I wasn’t intentionally looking for a BRV contract. Being early January and having just seen everyone’s pictures of all the holiday decorations at WL definitely contributed to the decision.

Of course, last night my husband was looking up the Polynesian and really liked the monorail option as well as the larger studios. (Theming is just 'meh' for us compared to WL.) But I told him Poly points cost a lot more. And I don't think I'd ever buy points some place without staying there first anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter