Question about Portofino boats/security

hookem91

Earning My Ears
So I read you have to go thru security before boarding the boats at Portofino. Does that mean you disembark past the general security checkpoint to get into the 2 main parks or do you have to go thru security again when you get off the boat? Do you think using the boats saves time on an early entrance day if you do not have to go thru twice?

You only go through security once when you use the boats. They drop you in the centre of Citywalk between both parks. You then enter either park with no more security checks.

If you walk you`ll go through security before reaching the parks entrance.

Can`t help with the EE, in all our years visiting we`ve never used the EE perk.

We've stayed at both resorts with busses only (Cabana Bay) & boat resorts (Sapphire Falls & HRH) and while I don't know about "saving time " - because we just adjust our time leaving the resort to arrive when we want to - the boats are a wonderful way to arrive at the parks IMO.

Just to be clear, both forms of transportation & getting thru security checks are fantastic at UO. The busses literally roll one right after the other & the main/general security area is quick & efficient. I just have some sort of weird "thing" about walking thru Citywalk before arriving at the park entrances - no idea why & didn't even realize I had it until we stayed at a resort that offered boat transport - so I prefer the boats on a personal level, LOL. It's so nice to just wander down to the boat ramp, go thru the little security check right there, get on a boat & then be let out after the whole Citywalk hubbub :).

We've never elected to walk to the parks so I can't comment on that, sorry.

The boats are very convenient and efficient as long as the lines are not too long. Most of the time there is little wait except at park open/close. At PBH (our favorite resort at UO), they really are a nice way to get to from the parks and CityWalk. At HRH/RPR, it is usually faster to walk, so I like that PBH makes us slow down an enjoy the ride...

If you walk, there is a separate security entrance. We walked most of the time and it was pretty convenient and fast. We were just there over Memorial Day weekend so there was almost always a line for the water taxi, even midday.

What others have said. Only one security checkpoint you go to. You go on the dock right before boarding the boat. Used to do temp checks there too, but not anymore of course!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter