Question About Planning My First Day Trip

paigeecal

Earning My Ears
My best friend recently moved to California, which has given us the perfect excuse to plan a one-day (...or two, if that's better?) Disneyland trip.

We're wondering if the ticket prices that are posted online accurately reflect the prices we will find at the ticket booth if we were to just show up to the park. We are both VERY versed with the Disney World life, so there are several things that we feel we can skip, even if there are differences in the experiences. We'll be back in November for Christmas, so we're just trying to get the most out of our time on this particular weekend.

Things we are considering:

1.) A Friday night adventure. Are there the "nighttime" prices like some other amusement parks offer? We're looking at either the 16th or the 23rd of August. Is a Friday night just wasting six hours we could better spend on a Saturday? (Seriously looking into the Friday, but also understand that it's probably the wrong idea unless crowds are somehow substantially lighter than a Saturday would be. We'd be able to get there around 4:30 at the latest.)

2.) Going Saturday for the full day. Obviously we would have more time here, but I'm unfamiliar with the crowd trends and looking for any insight anyone else can offer.

This is my first post and I'm feeling nervous and awkward doing so, but I appreciate anyone who has any tips! Thanks in advance from Carlos and Pidge!

My best friend recently moved to California, which has given us the perfect excuse to plan a one-day (...or two, if that's better?) Disneyland trip.

We're wondering if the ticket prices that are posted online accurately reflect the prices we will find at the ticket booth if we were to just show up to the park. We are both VERY versed with the Disney World life, so there are several things that we feel we can skip, even if there are differences in the experiences. We'll be back in November for Christmas, so we're just trying to get the most out of our time on this particular weekend.

1.) A Friday night adventure. Are there the "nighttime" prices like some other amusement parks offer? We're looking at either the 16th or the 23rd of August. Is a Friday night just wasting six hours we could better spend on a Saturday? (Seriously looking into the Friday, but also understand that it's probably the wrong idea unless crowds are somehow substantially lighter than a Saturday would be. We'd be able to get there around 4:30 at the latest.)

2.) Going Saturday for the full day. Obviously we would have more time here, but I'm unfamiliar with the crowd trends and looking for any insight anyone else can offer.

This is my first post and I'm feeling nervous and awkward doing so, but I appreciate anyone who has any tips! Thanks in advance from Carlos and Pidge!

Not sure about number 1, but in regards to your second question- we’ve been one Saturday in June and two this July, and we’ve found Saturdays to be VERY busy. I highly recommend rope drop and max pass. There is a great thread on here with everything you need to know about max pass and how to use it effectively!

In June the crowds really went down after sunset, but the past two Saturdays in July the crowds have been busy even after fireworks. In my opinion!

First off, welcome! Don’t feel awkward. This is a great place to get lots of great info!

Second, I HIGHLY suggest you choose the first date (August 16/17). Deluxe passholders are going to become unblocked on 8/19 after being blocked out of Disneyland ALL summer. It will be the first chance for these pass holders to see Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge. I suspect anything from the 19th on to be insanely packed.

There is no twilight pricing unless you’re with a special convention that offers such a thing. The ticket prices posted online are what you will pay at the gate, but I highly suggest buying online ahead of time so you don’t waste precious morning time in long lines at the ticket booth.

If you’re only going one day, I’d make it a full day, the Saturday. Arrive an hour before rope drop and take advantage of the lower crowds in the mornings. The park will only get progressively more crowded as the day goes on.

Welcome to the DIS! First of all, this classic thread has great information for you: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. It is pre-SWGE, but still has very good, helpful information about the similarities and differences between DLR and WDW.
1) As the pp noted, there are no twilight tickets at DLR unless you are affiliated with a convention that is offering them. So, it would seem to be a bigger bang for your buck to do the full day on Saturday.
2) Don't be afraid of weekends -- Saturdays can be good days if you start at RD and have a good plan in place for the rest of the day. Keep in mind that unlike WDW, DLR is a locals resort (approximately 60% local passholders -- quite the opposite of WDW) -- and this has a significant effect on the crowd patterns. Friday late afternoons and evenings get crowded in the parks as locals get out of school/off work and head to their happy place. Saturdays can be pretty good if the lower passes are blocked out. Always check the AP blockout calendar before choosing your dates! (Then double check here to make sure that nothing crazy will be going on -- this thread is helpful: 2019 Calendar of Events & School Breaks and DLR by @figment_jii
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2019-calendar-of-events-school-breaks-and-dlr.3708938/) Agree with the pp to avoid the days right after the lower passes are allowed back into DL -- it will be crowded! And the 23rd is the first day of D23 Expo -- that could add to the crowds, too.
The prices for one day tickets can vary according to peak/regular/value, but at this point, I think they are all peak price. Buy your tickets ahead on the app and go straight to the gates -- why waste time at the ticket booths when you only have one day? If you are planning on buying MP, you can do so easily on the app right after you activate your ticket at the gates. ("Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- ask any FP/MP questions here!)
If you can do two days -- great! Look at Mousesavers.com for deals on two day tickets and also on LMT Club (don't buy a membership -- Google for a free code). UT sells discounted tickets with MP attached, it that interests you.
Use the app for Mobile Ordering (have a credit card already on file) to save time -- very convenient -- you can find menus on the DLR website. And download the free DLR app now and get used to using it -- it will save you time when you visit.

Last edited:

Definitely buy your tickets ahead of time on the app, as there is not really an incentive not to do so.

I'd definitely suggest doing the full day, as it opens up a lot more options for you. Do you plan on going to both parks or just one? If it's both, having a MaxPass will also help you make the most of the trip, since you can book FPs for either park regardless of which you are in at the time, and hopping is incredibly easy.

I also suggest rope dropping, or close to it, as the parks tend to take awhile to get crowded. We did a full day last week and thanks to a rainy morning and lower crowds in general, it really didn't start to get crowded until 11am. We were able to knock out a lot of California Adventure feeling like we practically had the park to ourselves (first on Soarin', two rides through Grizzly River Run because no one was in line to get on, I literally was on the Symphony Swings with two other people, two quick return Toy Story FPs, walk on Pixar Wheel, walk on Incredicoaster).

Even with the shorter than usual return times and not particularly long standby times, the park still has a footprint that can make getting as much as you think you will done. For example, we had a Grizzly FP for 12:15 and a Splash FP that ended at 12:40. We made it, but barely! The walk over felt longer than usual because it had started to get busy, it was hot and we sort of underestimated the distance to Splash. Other than this, we mostly stuck to a game plan of rides that are close to one another or accessible by train (we did this more than once!) but keep all of that in mind, especially if you have priority rides.

Not sure how often you get to Disneyland but I still recommend doing DLR Pirates if you can! It's worth it! The other WDW rides are pretty similar to their counterparts, but I find most DLR versions superior, and Pirates most so.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter