Question about "Motion" Smilies

Figment22

Hulk, MIB and MLB Fan!
For the past couple of weeks I've noticed that about half of the "motion" smilies no longer move for me. (The one I miss the most is the "hyper" smilie. He won't jump around for me any more) On the full smilie page, the "space" smilie doesn't show up on the screen at all!

Additionally, there is one poster who has a monorail in his signature that I understand moves back and forth. (This has been mentioned in some of his posts.) Well, it doesn't move back and forth for me.

Can you tell me what might be wrong and how I may be able to fix it?

Thanks.

At top of browser, go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and then scroll down to Multimedia and see if the 'Play animations in web pages' is checked or not. If not, check it and see if that fixes it.

Dan,

That box is already checked. As I said, it's strange because some of them move and others don't. Very odd.

Are you clicking the "stop" button in your browser? Which browser do you use?

Originally posted by WebmasterCricket
Are you clicking the "stop" button in your browser? Which browser do you use?

No, I haven't been clicking "Stop." I use Internet Explorer.

As I said, some of them move and others don't which is what makes it really strange. If it helps, these are the smilies that move for me; all the others are stagnant.. (Stagnant smilies, has a nice ring to it!):

:bounce: :smooth: :Pinkbounc :tongue: :wave: :earseek: ::yes:: :yo-yo: :wave2: :jumping2: :jumping3: :jumping4: :love1:

I can't use, for example, the Rock Band, the Wave, the Drinking one. And the Space one (with the landing spacecraft) doesn't even APPEAR on my smilies list any more, just the wording shows up. Very weird.

Which version of IE do you have? (Go to "Help" and choose "About Internet Explorer")

Are you running an ad-blocker? Some of them have animation locks.

JC

Are you running an ad-blocker? Some of them have animation locks.

JC

I have Earthlink's Pop-up blocker on but I've had that for many months and had no problems. And even if that were the problem, why would it affect only some of the smilies?

I don't have Zonealarm installed.

I still don't know why it's doing it, but there are different versions of the .gif format. I'm guessing that is why it's only some of them.

Can you shut off the popup blocker completely?

How about dumping all of your temp. IE files (you can just move them rather tan deleting them if you want)?

I'm sort of stuck after that.

JC

How about dumping all of your temp. IE files (you can just move them rather tan deleting them if you want)?

Can you guide me through that? I know I've done it a couple of times before but I don't remember how to get there.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Dan Murphy
Tools>Internet Options>Delete Files(Under Temporay Internet Files section)>OK

Thanks for the guidance, Dan. Well, I've cleaned out the temp files and now NONE of the smilies are moving; not even the ones that used to move for me. I re-started my computer after deleting the temp files and even then the smilies remained still.

Any other suggestions?

Everything I'm reading is pointing to the pop-up blocker altering the .gif's to show only frame 1 (at least 6 references). Can you remove it or shut it off for now and see if that fixes it? I'm betting it will.

Some of them were in your cache already and it was only stopping the newly loaded ones. Now that you removed the old working ones, when it reloaded them, it stopped them as well.

JC

Don't forget to clear the temp files again after shutting it off (or removing it). Otherwise it will still show the old non-working versions.

JC

I have turned off the pop-up blocker and cleared out the temp files again and the smilies are still not working. What's more, since I did this, the smilies on another forum I frequent are no longer moving. Even when I was having this problem on the DIS boards, the smilies were working on the other forum.

Do you know how to come up in safe mode? If so, see if they work that way.

JC

I just thought I'd let you know that I finally solved the Smilies problem. After I turned off the pop up blocker and the smilies still weren't moving, I thought about what else I had added and came up with Earth Link Accelerator. It supposedly speeds up your download time about 5x faster. Well, I disabled it and voila...the smilies are dancing! All of them. And even the Space smilie has reappeared.

So, thank you for all your assistance. If it wasn't for your tip about the pop-up blocker, I never would have thought about Accelerator. (Of course, now I have to wait longer for everything to load so I may just click back to stagnant smilies! But at least I know how to get them moving again.)

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter