• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about do not disturb on door

captaindavidhook

<font color=green>Stay away from there<br><font co
I am sure this has been asked but what is the policy now? There are a few mornings when I like to relax inside my room. I would usually put the do not disturb sign on but from what I've heard that signage is not at the resorts now. So what happens now? Am I supposed to tell the CM's at the front desk what hours I'm in the room? Totally confused. Need some help or feedback.

I am sure this has been asked but what is the policy now? There are a few mornings when I like to relax inside my room. I would usually put the do not disturb sign on but from what I've heard that signage is not at the resorts now. So what happens now? Am I supposed to tell the CM's at the front desk what hours I'm in the room? Totally confused. Need some help or feedback.
You need to do a search. This has been asked, reasked and discussed to death.
There is a Room Occupied sign you can put up.
Mousekeeping will knock at your door most likely, at some point. I don’t believe that it will be early in the morning. This seems especially true if you deny Mousekeeping.
There is no need to tell the CM’s at the Front Desk when you are in the room.

Make sure you put the new sign out, and that you engage the latch on your door. That way they won't be able to enter until you let them in.

The big question is, where does your room fall in the room cleaning cycle? If it's early, then they'll probably be by your door early. If it's later in the day then they probably won't. The new way is they don't seem to bypass a room now, they stop when they get to it on the normal schedule for that floor/area of the resort. They'll still knock no matter if you are in it or not. At least that's the takeaway I've come up with.

Uh I forgot all about this change. We personally like to put the do no disturb sign up for our entire vacation and tend to our own needs as required, I’ll go ask for towels etc. Even with the sign up there were a few times we were woken by mousekeeping. I guess we’ll have to make it clear on day one we won’t need a knock

Uh I forgot all about this change. We personally like to put the do no disturb sign up for our entire vacation and tend to our own needs as required, I’ll go ask for towels etc. Even with the sign up there were a few times we were woken by mousekeeping. I guess we’ll have to make it clear on day one we won’t need a knock
It won't do you any good. They will knock.

The big question is, where does your room fall in the room cleaning cycle? If it's early, then they'll probably be by your door early. If it's later in the day then they probably won't. The new way is they don't seem to bypass a room now, they stop when they get to it on the normal schedule for that floor/area of the resort. They'll still knock no matter if you are in it or not. At least that's the takeaway I've come up with.
It certainly is a happy accident that this new security policy also gives a reason for housekeeping to be more efficient in how they cover rooms. If they don't have to come back to the DND rooms later any more, they can mostly work their way through each building without backtracking.

sign up like you want to do seems to be the best way to get a security check. seems like declining housekeeping gets you that each day no getting out of that

It certainly is a happy accident that this new security policy also gives a reason for housekeeping to be more efficient in how they cover rooms. If they don't have to come back to the DND rooms later any more, they can mostly work their way through each building without backtracking.
One can hope. Because otherwise, this entire mess seems to be nothing but a hardship on Housekeeping. They sure don't seem comfortable to be put in the position of having to enter rooms where they are otherwise not really wanted.

We had some early knocks on our room at POFQ last week - I did a full post in the sticky on the subject if you want to read my full report.

According to my conversation with the Manager at POFQ - housekeeping, maintenance and hospitality are NOT authorized to knock when the new room occupied signs are on the door. Security however is - he said they will be in suits or uniforms and have clearly visible name tags and if they feel the need to do a security check they will. He said that using the door hanger or requesting a specific time for housekeeping shouldn't be a cause for alarm ... but based on reports here I am not sure that is the reality of this.

After my first day at POFQ I had no further issues with room disturbances during a 10 night stay - split between POFQ, OKW and then CSR.

We had some early knocks on our room at POFQ last week - I did a full post in the sticky on the subject if you want to read my full report.

According to my conversation with the Manager at POFQ - housekeeping, maintenance and hospitality are NOT authorized to knock when the new room occupied signs are on the door. Security however is - he said they will be in suits or uniforms and have clearly visible name tags and if they feel the need to do a security check they will. He said that using the door hanger or requesting a specific time for housekeeping shouldn't be a cause for alarm ... but based on reports here I am not sure that is the reality of this.

After my first day at POFQ I had no further issues with room disturbances during a 10 night stay - split between POFQ, OKW and then CSR.
Sure seems like someone forgot to inform Housekeeping, at least (and possibly the others) that they are not supposed to knock when the signs are hung

Sure seems like someone forgot to inform Housekeeping, at least (and possibly the others) that they are not supposed to knock when the signs are hung

Yup - and I mentioned in my other post in the sticky about random room checks but forgot to mention it above but the manager said that he would speak to the supervisor for our building.

Yup - and I mentioned in my other post in the sticky about random room checks but forgot to mention it above but the manager said that he would speak to the supervisor for our building.
And hopefully the supervisors at all the other resorts. Seems like maybe they need a Resort Manager meeting or something. Though you know, that may have actually been something they may have needed before the room checks started. But what do I know, I've never ran a hotel before.

I sent an e-mail to the big three about this and a few other things and received a phone call back. I spoke with Ana for about 40 minutes. During this conversation I specifically asked why dogs were not to be disturbed, but napping toddlers could be. She said the dog owners had to schedule a time for a check. I asked why we couldn't do the same. She told me that communication had been given to the resorts that guests could request a reasonable amount of time to not be disturbed during the day and it should be honored. I told her this wasn't my experience at all in March. She told me for my July trip to call her if I have any issues. I will again request 1:00 to 4:00 pm for my grand daughter to nap. If it is not honored, Ana will be getting a phone call every day. It is absolutely ridiculous to not be able to enjoy my vacation because of this.

It certainly is a happy accident that this new security policy also gives a reason for housekeeping to be more efficient in how they cover rooms. If they don't have to come back to the DND rooms later any more, they can mostly work their way through ea
I’m not so sure about that. Previously they would have seen the sign and just moved on. Whether they are allowed to knock or not, I cannot see that the new system makes life easier for them. There are no positives to this new policy IMO.
All the best.

How does this work for DVC rooms? Fewer intrusions because of fewer Mousekeeping stops?

Bill From PA

Rather than knock, they called my cell phone twice last month at about 11am. We never get out before noon, so I told them each time they could come in during the afternoon, after we left.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter